What Micron filter for HPFP safety

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
A friend has a large farm tank for filling up tractors and trucks, has some rust in the bottom- but does have a 30 micron filter setup on it. He wants to start using it to fuel his 11' Jetta with the wholesale prices (its green taxed on-road), what micron of filter is suggested? Is a 10 micron good enough, or should we go with the 2 micron cim-tek? Reason I ask about the 10 micron is that the water block doesn't come in 2 micron.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm no expert but if rust and water are both potential issues, I would probably put both in series. First the 10 (with water control) to catch the "big pieces" and then the 2 micron to catch anything that gets through the first filter.

Have Fun!

Don

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Unless he's moving a lot of fuel on a daily basis, I wouldn't use the fuel in my CR VW, but that's just me. Long-term storage of diesel just seems risky to me. The convenience factor just wouldn't outweigh the risk.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
30 micron is used on tanks with gravity flow dispensing. Diesel won't flow well through anything smaller than 30, especially in cold weather.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
The dual setup sounds like a deal, simply add another adaptor.Shouldn't 2 micron be HPFP friendly enough? Im not wanting to make a several thousand dollar mistake if his HPFP explodes due to junk in the fuel.
He goes threw several hundred gallons a month with his Logging business, if he is hauling rock sometimes thousands of gallons so its fresh- he adds biocide if it sits during off season - just the bottom of that tank had rust in it last time I peeked in it during a refill.
The savings is nearly $2 a gallon in the summer months as he locks in a yearly price in January and it holds while pump prices spike, last summer he was filling up at $4 a gallon pump prices in his wife's Jetta all while he had 1000 gallons of Taxed legal ULSD sitting next to his shop and it was my idea to add a "real" cim-tek setup to his Fill rite pump.

EDIT- looks like 2 micron is plenty fine for the HPFP and injectors
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/particle-sizes-d_934.html

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I'm no expert but if rust and water are both potential issues, I would probably put both in series. First the 10 (with water control) to catch the "big pieces" and then the 2 micron to catch anything that gets through the first filter.

Have Fun!

Don
A setup like this would be just as good, if not better, than the pumps at the your local fill-up spot.
The only reason you haven't seen the rust in the bottom of the tanks at the stations is because you haven't looked.:eek: After all, the majority of us are subjecting our CR engines to the mercy of the fuel the vendors are providing.
Other than the hpfp, does a TDI have any more of a need for clean, quality fuel than late-model CR truck and equipment engines? Probably not. What year are his trucks and tractors?
I've been driving a piece of equipment at work (late-model common rail diesel) that is fueled from a 30 micron gravity-flow tank and have yet to have any fuel-related issues.
If he buys good quality, clean fuel and filters as you suggested he'll most likely be doing his car a favor by avoiding the filling station.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
He currently only fills his Mechanically injected older rigs and skidders with that fuel, he is avoiding using that fuel in his 11 jetta and 13 Duramax, I just had him take a picture- pretty rusty! Ill post it up asap

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
That's ugly! How clean does the fuel look coming out of his current setup?
Still, it's hard to say if the tanks at a station look like that because we never get to see in them like this.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
fuel looks clean as the suction pipe is a few inches above the bottom. That's the very bottom after he syphoned all the fuel dry.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
went over to visit him today, the tank was loaded on a flatbed ready to be steam cleaned and then sandblasted with a final soaking of vinegar to clean that rust up. even with 2 micron, that much rust just scares us

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
Can't argue with cleaning the tank.
I'm surprised more haven't chimed in, especially since you mentioned he'd save nearly $2/gal. He's lucky to have that option with the majority of the fuel being used for the trucks. A "bulk" tank to the rest of us would mean storing 100 gallons or less with a very low turnover rate.
I second post #2. I'd use an additive, too, just to make sure there's lubrication for the hpfp.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what I do, I Use a home heating oil tank complete with biocide and powerservice. Same guy fills my 300 gallon tank as does his 1,000. Wife can drive 15,000 miles on a single tank

Last edited:

FiveFilter

TDI
I feed all my diesel equipment (vehicles, generator, tractor) from a 90 gallon aluminum fuel tank I have in the bed of my F250 Ford diesel pickup. I have two ChemTec filters on the tank that all the fuel is pumped through when filling the equipment: a 10 micron water block/separator, and a 2 micron sediment filter. I constantly check the fuel via a clear plastic tube device that I use to measure the amount I have remaining in the tank at any given time.