Back seat window deflector

djohnston

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a 2010 Sportwagon. I like roll down the back seat windows when my dog comes for a ride because you know... he's a dog. :)

Anyway, with just the back window down there is an incredible throbbing noise. If I roll down one of the front windows halfway, it eliminates it.

Does anyone know of a leading edge deflector for the backseat windows?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
weathertech?

you have a big roof?

btw these cars do suck with the windows partially down, some great "german engineering" at work right there!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that was the option name for the pano roof at the dealer.

do you have a sunroof on your wagen?

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I don't know if the panoramic roof (sunroof) opens in the JSW, but if it does, it will relieve the air pressure in the car, eliminating the throbbing. That's why it goes away when you open your front window. Moot point since you don't have one, however.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The air flow around the windshield and sides of the car creates a low pressure region at the front windows, but that air 'reattaches' further back where the rear doors are.
Opening rear windows only pressurizes, Opening front only slightly lowers the interior pressure. Opening front and rear creates a 'back draft' with air coming in the rear and being vented out the front. I'll frequently open diagonal windows, driver's rear and passenger front.
It's not a VW only issue. Complain to Bernoulli if you wish.

djohnston

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm not looking to blame anyone. I just want to be able to open just my rear windows without feeling like someone is whacking my upside my head with a phone book.

Then again, this is the first car I've ever owned with this problem.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
You won't be able to open just rear window. You have to open something on the front. But you don't need it much more then a crack open.

Yes the sport wagon sunroof opens. Father has an 09. Funny how those rarely get used but he couldn't get the car without one. One good thing is rear seat riding in the mountains with it though. It was nice for the bear tooth mountains.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not looking to blame anyone. I just want to be able to open just my rear windows without feeling like someone is whacking my upside my head with a phone book.

Then again, this is the first car I've ever owned with this problem.
German Engineering at it's finest.

try the weathertech rain deflectors and see if they help.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Hey, c'mon people! Don't blame German engineering. Many many cars have this phenomenon. Probably the only ones that don't are poorly engineered aerodynamically.

If you are opening your window so the dog can get his head out, the rain guards aren't going to help whatsoever. Either deal with it, open a front window a crack, or tell the dog too bad, haha.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
How about opening up the passenger side front window instead. After all, isn't it all about relieving the pressure inside of the car, giving the air coming in the rear window somewhere to go except the inside of your eardrum? Simply experiment, trying different combinations. I would do it myself except my 2dr Golf's rear windows don't open, so I don't have that problem.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Actually that is designed into most cars. I took an aerodynamics class while getting my engineering degree so I could study more on vehicle aerodynamics. Most vehicles have a pressure zone at the front of the windshield which is why most of the vehicles pull there cabin air from there. Heck my fathers old 1970 chevell when he had it had a thing that popped up to pull air to the engine from there at a load.

Then as the air goes past the sides of the car it is designed to vent the air that is coming in. Doesn't do much good to force warm air/cold/fresh air in if all you are doing is pressurizing the car and can't get any more air in so there are venting areas on most cars and the best spot most of the time is near the rear door area. Look at the old vw rabbits. They have there vents on the lower part of the door card on the rear doors. The rabbit trucks have it on the lower rear of their door as well. I don't know exactly how or where the newer cars vent the air but it is a designed in feature to help with air exchange in the car.

Let me take that back, not really designed to have it at the door area. Mother nature decided how air flows so that is where it ended up in most cars. Do some research to see a car with positive and negative pressures on air flow. It is kind of cool. The rear of the car doesn't work well as the pressure release as it can actually have pressure pushing the car depending on if it is a hatchback or sedan.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All I can say is this is the only car who's sunroof when open is pointless, same goes for windows at just the right opening. Yeah sure the engineers can't solve all problems, but when other less "german" cars can handle it, I was some what disapointed opening my sunroof for the first time.

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
My take is that the car with a single window down a bit is like a whistle. By opening another window a bit (or the sunroof, if you have one) you change the tuning on the whistle.

Ever blow across the top of a soda (or beer) bottle? It make a crude whistle.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Have you considered getting rid of the dog? Best possible solution. I have no clue why someone would carry around an animal that would destroy their car's interior.

Last edited: