Has Anyone Installed an Engine Block Heater on an A-4 TDI?

TDI = MPG = $avings

Veteran Member
A friend of mine plugs his 1999.5 Golf TDI in year around to save wear & tear and fuel consumption on his diesel engine.

He has recommended that I do the same with my new Jetta TDI, even though the engine will start just fine without one.

He says that it only costs about 3 cents a day!

I have done some research and Zero Start (Division of Phillips & Temro) makes one to fit all VW engines.

VW uses a 36.5mm freeze plug in all their applications and Zero Start makes the part for them: part #310-0034.

Question:
Is it really worth it (engine wear & tear) to install an Engine Frost or Freeze Plug Heater on my new TDI?

------------------

2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver / Gray

pygrant

I think it depends on the weather where you live. When I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I had engine block heaters on my gasoline cars too. Any car is helped by having a warm block at startup if it is really cold (below 10-15 F). This is especially true if the car sits outside. Obviously, if its in a heated garage, it doesn't help much.

JeffT

Veteran Member
An engine block heater is unnecessary except in the coldest of climates. If you are up near the artic circle I'd consider it necessary. Not cold enough around here to make it necessary.

Tom Kuc

Veteran Member
Zero Start responded to a note I sent them by saying they had NO application for the A4Jetta as it does not have a freeze plug..
Did I get bad info??, I would really like to get some sort of block heater installed.

pygrant

As far as I know, every auto engine has a freeze plug. They are an emergency safety feature - if the coolant ever freezes, the plug will pop out (otherwise the expanding coolant will crack the block). So I would suspect that the TDI does have freeze plugs, but I dont know if they are the same size as other VW diesels or where they are located on the block. Usually there are at least two, and many four cylinder engines have four.

JeffT

Veteran Member
I don't have positive confirmation on this but the older TDIs (prior to the A4 cars) had the common size freeze plugs, the Newer TDIs have a different setup.

Here is the info I have:

The VW part number is 175998533A, price is US$28.72. It is a freeze plug heater. Can't vouch for this fitting in the new TDIs however.

Harry

I have a oil pan heater that was sold and installed on my Jetta 99 I wanted a block heater and they told me it cannot be installed anymore on new VW and this pan heater is better because it keeps the engine oil warm .makes sence to me Where I live it can get to -35C at night and my car is outside so I need ablock heater My car will start when very cold but it shakes and makes alot of noise so I dont take a chance in damaging the engine and plug it. BTW the pan heater is very simple and requires no holes or anything to be done on the engine all they did was stap it to the bottom of the oil pan with plastic straping and pass the wires to the front grill hope this helps. HARRY

tomaz

Harry please tell me how much did you pay for the pan heater, its power rating and how efficient is it.

Tnx.
Tomi

------------------
1999 Golf TDI 110 HP
black / beige

willys

Veteran Member
TDI
HAD A '01 GLS JETTA, STUCK WITH A PRIUS :-(
Tomaz-
The part (ZVP 289 107) is available from any Candaian dealer for 162 loonies or USD110.
Check your delivery package for phone #'s or call my dealer Southgate VW at (780)4354821
and I'm sure that they'll mail or FEDEX you one out.
It really does go on in about 15-20 minutes, a lot less than that "other" way....
-------------------------
James Berry
Millenium Jetta GLS
Automatic

Harry

Tomaz I dont know how much it costs because it was included in the deal when i bought my JETTA all I know is it works well the dip stick is warm to the touch and the engine doesnt shake also the heat comes on sooner HARRY

TDI = MPG = $avings

Veteran Member

Thanks to "Willys" for pointing us in the right direction!

After doing some research, here is the info I came up with about ordering the Engine Block Heater for 1999.5 and 2000 TDI engines:

Southgate Volkswagen Audi Inc, Canada
Telephone: (780)435-4821
VW Part #ZVP 289 107
Price: $110.00 U.S. Dollars / 162 Canadian Loonies

------------------

TDI = MPG = $avings

Veteran Member
Here's the e-mail address of Southgate Volkswagen Audi Inc.,
for those who want to order the new type of Engine Block Heater:

sgvw@comcept.ab.ca

Telephone: (780)435-4821
VW Part #ZVP 289 107

Price: $110.00 U.S. Dollars / 162 Canadian Loonies

------------------

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
Will this fit my 96 Passat?
Does it run off of 110V or 220V?
Does it get the engine hot enough to melt ice off the windshield straight away?
Where do you put the connector on the car? is it supplied with the heater?

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon (variant))
See my Peugeot / Passat site