Problem starting Jetta

maxt

Hi, i own a 92 Jetta Td and well i dont know what the hell's wrong, i just moved here to Iowa (from Toronto Canada) for college and now it's getting colder, and i cant start my car!

Battery puts out power, because i sit in the car and the lights work, the radio works and i turn the key and the glow plugs light turns off after a few seconds, but when i go to start there is absolutely NOTHING that happens. the car can be started by having a friend push it and popping it into first but its rather inconvenient.

The car is equipped with a block heater and the previous owner (old neighbour) plugged it in during winter and it started fine.

Can anyone shed a little light in my direction?
Thanks!
Max

paschalini

Veteran Member
The battery may be in it's final stages. Take it down to your local auto parts store (that you trust)and have them run a check on the battery. Parts stores here will run the check for free. If it's not the battery, then at least you've eliminated one major possibility and it's only cost you a little time.

I have experienced this scenario on a couple of my cars previously, and replacing the battery corrected the problem.

------------------
2000 5spd Atlantic Blue Jetta

JeffT

Veteran Member
Hey, I know what's wrong (I think)!!!

I know this sounds crazy but is your seat belt fastened when you start the car?

My 91 Jetta gasser wouldn't start unless the belt was fastened. I push started mine (twice) before I slapped myself upside the head for not fastening the driver's belt.

------------------
Jeff Teolis
2000 Jetta GL TDI
Black/Black
In-Dash CD Player

Completely Stock

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
It's a choice between the battery and the starter motor. Try my battery test first. Sit in the car, turn the ignition key until the ign lights come on. Turn the headlamps on and then try the wipers. If your battery is good the wipers will still travel at normal speed. If they are really slow or won't go at all you have a low or flat battery. If the wipers work well the starter motor is the likely cause. There are other tests you can do so let us know how it goes.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
BINGO!
It's the seatbelt if... you don't have your belt on, you turn the key, and it starts making the three-pitched chime while flashing the seatbelt light. The seatbelt sensor may also be faulty, which is a pain in the arse because you can't start the car then.

If the problem isn't with the seatbelt, then it's either the battery or the starter. Remember, the battery may be pushing out enough power for the stereo and lights, but the started requires a lot more power.

Good Luck.

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9T Manual