New project: Golf Mk4 PD TDI 4motion 6-speed

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
@StingrayRT: Are you talking about using a GT4082 as a single unit with modified housing(s)?
@andy2: Will you combine your 4082 with the 3271v? Aren't both of them a little too big for compound; at leat the HP unit?
@Rub87: You try to convince me as to use a HE351 for the Audi as you want the 4082, right? ;)
Yes, We can design and manufacture a new thin cast niresist turbine housing as divided housing or if you want we can do complety new turbochargers as you wish.

Check the picture of exhaust manifold so you can see a super-short tuned turbo manifold.

Last edited:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
@StingrayRT: Sounds great! I will discuss power / torque curve etc. with Ruben and then come up with my needs. Send a PM to you about the BigBore PDE ;)

I think I would like to stick with a single VNT - I will tolerate some lag down low ;)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
@Rub/Fab:

I've found your 53mm VNT turbine (thanks to diffas' post):
GT3063KLV
Compressor
Wheel Inducer: 43.7mm
Wheel Exducer: 63mm (48 Trim)

Turbine
Wheel Inducer: 53mm
Wheel Exducer: 47.4mm
Elsewhere the same turbocharger is a GT2563KLV. Because of the common confusion of the GTxx designations, I insist on people to ignore them and for most purposes go by the wheel dimensions.

The 63mm, 48 trim compressor is useless for your performance goals. Consider a hybrid with the compressor sections of one of the following instead:

You will need about 40 lb/min air flow for 350 clean HP without cheaters.
Also, ignore the limiting RPM and PR at the top border of the maps. The determining parameter you should follow is the tip speed. The maximum value should be between 520-560 m/s. The tip speed is related to the RPM by this equation:

RPM=60*Vtip/(pi*Dexducer,compressor)

where Vtip is in m/s and Dexducer,compressor is in metres (i.e. 60mm=0.06m).

GT will extrapolate the map if you calculate and input the extrapolated maximum RPM.

There you go. My consulting bill will be sent to you for future considerations via favours in-kind. :D

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Got my modified VW Crafter pistons back today - sweet ;)

Things that have been changed: omega bowl has been modified to PD-style-shape; valve pockets are +0.5mm deeper; oil squirter holes have been re-located based on original PD TDI pistons.

My BigBore PDE have arrived, too - but they look exactly the same as OEM ones, so I didn't take a picture.

Greetz,

Fabian
Hey Fab,

Can you pls elaborate on what/how your did to the pistons to adapt them to work with the PD oil squirters location?

Who did you use and where did you do the work?

I just recently had a head/ engine failure and I am looking at this option. I would really like to understand how I can use these pistons for my re-build. I have an ALH w/ 2260vk.

tnx

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
How did it spool up, Shadow? Is that a single or 2-turbo system?

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
@andy2: Will you combine your 4082 with the 3271v? Aren't both of them a little too big for compound; at leat the HP unit?

You are thinking about sequential turbos where you have 2 turbo's that are quite different in size.With compounds you can't be too far apart in size otherwise it won't work.Compound turbo's are generally made to produce alot of pressure within a desired RPM range on the engine. I can get the 3571v to spool well enough to launch the car so I don't need to use a smaller HP turbo.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
IIRC there was one fellow from UK who has GT3063kvl mated with GT3267 48 trim compressor in 2.0l 16v TDI. Similar turbo have been used in 200CDI with decent results.

BTW I had 2 of those 30 series a while ago but sold both.

shadowmaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2.5TDI
How did it spool up, Shadow? Is that a single or 2-turbo system?
Sadly don't know yet... Way too many projects.:eek:

It's a single setup targetting 600Nm ~3000rpm-> and ~600bhp with ~1,5bar redlining ~8000rpm. I'm trying to make it as comfortable as I can (wide operating range), power is not that important with this one (I don't want it to be as scary to drive as our diesel MB) so even 500bhp would do it for me.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Yes, I took a double take and saw that it's a gasser. What is it? Mitsu 4G63? Better chance to spool one of those massive suckers in a single-stage with a high-revving gasser than a Diesel.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
what do you guys think about the maximum flow number at lets say PR 2.5 this turbo will do in stock form?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
The turbo won't last under the EGT of a gasser, furthermore a Wankel. But that doesn't matter, does it? :)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Nothing some alcohol can't fix :) under wot and afr 10 egt are in diesel territory, under closed loop and lambda 1 you get the highest egts

Just looked in the logs of our 13B renesis powered miata running high 12 afr's, egt is around 850-875°C max

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Secondary air injection and igniter placed pre-turbine inlet will make a very nice ALS

shadowmaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2.5TDI
Yes, I took a double take and saw that it's a gasser. What is it? Mitsu 4G63? Better chance to spool one of those massive suckers in a single-stage with a high-revving gasser than a Diesel.
That's my -04 Volvo 2.5T AWD AT. It has also CVVT, so I suspect it will spool quite easily, at least gt3076r was way too responsive for the AT.

Engine specs:
-flex fuel sensor with DTA engine control
-Darton sleeves
-SPM rods
-custom cams
-bigger valves (head flows 306bhp @12mm, originally 225bhp)
-more flowing fueling system to go with 100% E85 if needed
-reinforced AT/turbine + additional oil cooler
-custom exhaust system
-bigger throttle valve
-upgraded IC
-engine oil cooler
-lots of things to keep EGTs down...

It would be really easy to make +1000bhp out of this engine and actually my friend has a sleeper style Volvo V40 T4 (1,85L 4cyl version of my engine, no CVVT) dynoed 630bhp @2,0bar with pump gasoline. With E85 and ~2,8bar boost he is aiming ~800bhp with the same setup. He is into top speed racing...

Last edited:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Haven't been online for a while...

I spoke to Ruben a few days ago and, based on this discussion and my plans, we ended up with following idea: we take a Borgwarner EFR6255 and will convert the hot side to VNT. One idea is to create an adaptor to mount the BV50 hot side to the EFR6255. Ruben expects that "Frankenstein Turbo" to spool nearly as good as a GTB2260VK.

It sounds like a sick idea at the moment, but manufacturing the adaptor plate should be possible. My friend, who did the machining of the Crafter pistons, can machine something like that easily as soon as he has a blueprint of it. Problem right now: I don't have an EFR6255 to convert :D We have a BV50 available, so that's not hampering the show.

Ok, so let me know what you think about this. Nonsense?

Greetz,

Fabian

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
I think it´s a AWSOME idea. We are a few people that wants to know if 300hp can be had with a driveable/street friendly single turbo, and to me this seem to be a realy good turbo for the job. I'm also very intresting in buying one from you if you can make two:)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
if the vnt ring of the bv50 would be too small one can look into the gt2563v aka gt3063v which I read should have 53mmturbine wheel inducer

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
Rub - DA-VNT can´t be adapted to work on VNT.......I told that a new dual entry turbine housing will be a way to do it........GT2360V are a good choice you can find that new OEM japan turbo´s on ebay for 400€ with new dual entry turbine is that turbo a daily driver with 300Hp.