JDA gearbox rebuilt

Chrisszzyy

TDI
Polo 9N3 1.9L 100PS
Hi all,

My first post here so please bear with me.

September last year I bought an '07 Polo with a 1.9L PD TDI (AXR) engine. I've looked after it the best I can - Frequent oil changes, new tires, brakes.etc.

It currently has ~97,250 miles on the clock as of today, which isn't too bad from my understanding.

Recently I've noticed that the transmission is groaning when easing off/on the gas (As if the gears are not interlocking fully) (Only in first gear is it evident enough to hear), as well as feeling 'loose' when easing on/off the gas in 1st. This is accompanied by a mild whine as I approach ~2,000RPM in first gear, as well as slightly lower RPMs in higher gears. According to some advise I've received (Whilst in the car), this is likely the input shaft bearing, as the noise disappears when the clutch is engaged.

I've taken the decision to have the gearbox completely rebuilt by my dad who has undertaken this procedure many times in the past, in particular with some older VW gearboxes, as well as from other manufacturers.

The only problem I've ran into is that the gearbox has the code 'JDA', which as I understand it, is very specific to this type of engine (AXR) in the Polo and frankly quite rare due to their inherent reliability.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light as to what gearbox rebuild kit would be suitable for this gearbox model?

I've done some research and have found that only a few '02R' gearbox rebuild kits on sale state the JDA version in the compatibility list, but I'm not sure; is this the case and also if we're doing a complete gearbox rebuild, can anyone recommend anything else in addition to what's in the rebuild kit which they'd recommend replacing whilst the gearbox is apart? I'm not quite sure what is known to go wrong with these gearboxes.

I'm one for doing things properly, so if there's something which an expert on here would recommend replacing while it's apart, I'll definitely consider it.

Cheers