brakes locking up

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Hello All
I took my 99 jetta for a ride the other day . The brakes started dragging . When I went to use them the pedal was hard . I parked it for a half hour . I started it and it was OK .
I did a bit of reading . Probably the brake booster ?
Should I get a brake booster and MC , or just a booster ?

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
You might want to make sure it is not your wheel cylinders freezing up but hardness at the pedal seems to indicate something wrong with your booster. My car had this dragging issue really bad with the brake booster. I did not have time to deal with it but discovered I could pull up on the brake pedal with my right foot after stopping to get my by. It is not the best solution but you might try lifting the pedal back up and see if the dragging goes away.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or check the vacuum supply to the booster. That tube has a tendency to crack and leak, and it won't show due to the stiffness of the tube.

Cheers,

PH

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Thank you guys for the reply . So to find the issue I should check for vacuum at the pump . Then check the hose for cracks , or leakage . If all is good there . Then it would be the booster ?
I cannot comprehend why the brakes would lock up ? I understand that I would have a hard pedal (no power assist) but why would they lock up ?
From what I have read I should have around 25-30 in vacuum ?
Thanks for the help !!
LONG LIVE THE ALH !!

2005TDI_1994IDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, Indigo blue
Brakes “locking up “ can be a caliber not returning to release, a rubber brake hose acting like a one way valve or brake fluid that is contaminated. First check calibers by pumping the brakes and then break the bleeders at each wheel, if a brake line is acting like a one way valve the bleeder will have more pressure than the others. If a caliber is hanging do the same thing but turn the tire by hand to see which one is dragging, the one dragging should get hot when driving. If all is good, change your brake fluid, which should be done every 3 years

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Ok
I have what appears to be plenty of vacuum from the pump .
I pulled a vacuum from the booster , It appears to be holding steady .
No cracks in the tubing from pump to booster .
I will go over the calipers and change the brake fluid as long as I am at it .

Smokin' Dually

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Brakes “locking up “ can be a caliber not returning to release, a rubber brake hose acting like a one way valve or brake fluid that is contaminated. First check calibers by pumping the brakes and then break the bleeders at each wheel, if a brake line is acting like a one way valve the bleeder will have more pressure than the others. If a caliber is hanging do the same thing but turn the tire by hand to see which one is dragging, the one dragging should get hot when driving. If all is good, change your brake fluid, which should be done every 3 years
What he said but I'd start by spinning the wheels by hand. Get the car up, have someone step on the brakes HARD, as soon as the pedal is released the brakes shouldn't drag.

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Hello
Today festivities :
Changing brakes fluid all of it along with slave cylinder.
I took off all 4 calipers. Greased them up . I put it all back together .
I started the car , worked the brake pedal. I them raised the car up in the air . All four tires were dragging hard . I walked up the the engine bay and pulled the vacuum to the booster . Now all 4 tires spin easier.
I can at this point assume it is the booster?

2005TDI_1994IDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, Indigo blue
No, the booster just assist you with brake action. It doesn’t apply or release the fluid which is used to control braking action. Unless VW boosters are unique in there design???