what missing options can I add to a mkiv

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
my 99.5 Jetta has a few options missing that I would like back... I don't want to kill myself installing them but if anyone can give me a yay or nay...

power windows (fronts minimum)
heated seats (seats are capable)
adding my old convenience module (window roll up mod)

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Sell the car and find a 2000-2001. Much easier and solves the above problems as well as your wanting to swap in your RC3 ECU.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You can do all of them fairly easily, just a bit of wiring fun.

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (RIP), 2002 Jetta TDI GLS, 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Wolfsburg Edition, 2014 Touareg TDI Execline
to do the power windows i would assume based on my knowledge you would need the electric window regulator/carrier panels along with the motors, you would need the drivers and passengers door wiring harnesses, and the window switch controls at the drivers door and you need the corresponding door card panels as well (basically everything from a car with electric windows except the actual door and glass).

i replaced my driver door wiring harness due to kinked/cracking wires in various places. its not difficult to strip down the door--> pull off door card panel, pull out the window glass, remove the window carrier panel, remove the door wiring harness which clips in right under where the hood release is. only concern would be if you do plug in the new door harness for the electric windows if it would work?? there are various harness part #'s

if you do gather the parts and would like a hand, PM me and i can help you out

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
I guess Im curious where the wiring ends / gets added for power windows and heated seats.. the mechanics of it I understand....

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
You would need a donor car I would think. Probably not something you can just pick up at The Source as there would be lots of pieces required. At a minimum you would need:

1) Complete wiring harness from a car with power windows & heated seats.
2) Inner door panel
3) outer door cards
4) switches
5) window motors
6) CCM
7) Misc clips, plugs, gromets, etc to run the wires.

It sounds like a lot of work. If you have the time and space to do it, it could be a good project to tackle. But I still think you could sell your 99.5 as is now that you got it running for a couple G's and find a newer car with the options you want for not much more. The higher cost of a slightly newer car would certainly not be more expensive than sourcing all the parts you need to do the swap. Not to mention the amount of time it would take to tear apart the car to run all the wires.