Caliper painting: what color to choose?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Wanted to get your input on what color to paint my brake calipers. My car is not a true red, but more like a burgundy, Canyon Red I believe.

What colors do you guys think would look best with my car's body color?

Haven't been able to find pics for Jettas of the same color as mine...

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Black. There's nothing special about the TDI's puny brakes to need to make them stand out.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Another vote for Gold...or Orange

Black. There's nothing special about the TDI's puny brakes to need to make them stand out.
To each their own. OP wants to clean them up and make them stand out. Cant fault anyone for wanting to make their vehicle custom to their liking

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
One day I'm going to take a set of Wolfsburg BBS wheels to polished lip with gold face...on a black TDI...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Another vote for gold because the Canyon Red has gold flecks in it.
But I think white would look good too. Depends on the "attitude" you're going for imo

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Last week, I painted my never-loved before now (I guess) Canary yellow Beetle calipers rust oleum silver. In part, because I owned the paint....and, in part due to me being tired of working on the rest of this pos.

I fingered silver would still look mostly silver even after a coating of dust. I think darker colors only look......dingy-dusty later on.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Great comments!!

Another vote for Gold...or Orange
To each their own. OP wants to clean them up and make them stand out. Cant fault anyone for wanting to make their vehicle custom to their liking
Thanks Krash! Yes, I just want to make this oldie look a tad nicer, that's all! I'm getting a few votes for gold! Besides, even though the calipers aren't so noticeable, it would still have a conservative look.

One day I'm going to take a set of Wolfsburg BBS wheels to polished lip with gold face...on a black TDI...
WildChild, I think gold definitely will look legit on black!! My wife is not opposed to the idea of black rims on my car...gold might still transfer well if I were to go with black wheels.

“Hello Kitty” Pink
HAHA If it was a "woman-driven" car maybe... HAHA

I usually just go silver.
MetalMan, I considered silver because it wouldn't be as drastic as white, but it would still be noticeable. Gold or silver?? oh the dilemma!

Another vote for gold because the Canyon Red has gold flecks in it.
But I think white would look good too. Depends on the "attitude" you're going for imo
That is a good point on the gold. Seems like gold is taking the lead.

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Y'all are welcome...my blue Jetta might get gold calipers with silver faced BBS

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I’d want gold trim and wheels with gold calipers. How it is now, I’d go Silver. I have silver caliper paint but haven’t been inspired to use it.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
I do a two step metallic gold, candy red combo on pretty much everything I paint these days (except compressor covers since I smooth them with cookies on a die grinder, and the candy lets the patterns underneath show through), and I like it better than anything on my black vehicles.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
You could go for the classic look of aluminum oxide and crud ... That look has been around a long time...its classic.