engine code issue 2006 1,9 tdi

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
Hello folks, its been a while since i have chatted with you, I just purchased a 20006 jetta, Got a great deal, Ac was not working, but I already fixed that. I have a engine code light on, Dont remember exactly the code , my boy has my code reader. Something to the effect turbo boost level below thresh hold. I replaced the controller modual. Cleared code, drives fine light does come on until I shut the car off and restart. Then light is back on, any clue??? Runs great, turbo seems to be good. Just retriggars the light when I shut i
her off. I know one of you folks has seen this before. Thanks in advanced:)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Since it runs fine, the code number will be most helpful.
Interweb sounds like it could be loose tubes (big ones), deteriorated vacuum lines, wires to the actuator, actuator, etc., etc.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks bobby, let me check code again, ill be more specific. Buddy you have save me in the past, get back to you!

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks bobby, let me check code again, ill be more specific. Buddy you have save me in the past, get back to you!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, the wires to the turbo actuator position sensor are very thin and besides a broken one (or two) you'll probably find one or two about to go.

Assuming that's what you discover you'll need the VW "repair wire kit" in that specific size.. to replace the connector and attached wire for each broken one. I did 'em all, just to be safe.

When I did mine I also added an extra length of loom to the wiring to protect it from rocks etc.. so far so good.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay guys, help me out, I replaced the circuit modual. just above the inter cooler. a bit tough to get to but i replaced it. is this acuator sensor, Im guessing not! i'm thinking now its back by acuator on the turbo, s___t!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The turbo actuator (the cylinder bolted to the turbo that moves the turbo vanes) uses vacuum to control the turbo but also has electronic feedback circuitry to tell the ECU where actuator is.

The code you're getting suggests one or more broken wires where the engine bay harness plugs into the turbo actuator.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
okay folks, Ill put on lift and check. like I say you folks are gods, let you know what I find. i bow at your feet tdi gods!!!!

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
i just purchased a lift, the car doesnt want to go on it, too low. doing some engineering. lol. have not had the chance to check out the turbo acuator, will get back.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello folks, ok maybe I looking in the wrong place. The last tdi I worked on was my 04 wagon. I have a plug that sits on what I think is the vacumm actuator behind the valve cover. Its near that damn 121 vacuum switch with the plug, I had a problem with that on my 04. anyway, its a 3 wire plug, looks like orange , brown and purple.. Not sure, I think it was different on bew. Bobby, thats exactly what i did, I put 4 8x10 under hear and drove up. I didnt see anything so I went to the top. help guys, I try to down load a picture to my computer. Im beginng to think Im looking at the wrong place!!!!!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From under the car, at the back of the engine between it and the firewall you should be able to see the turbocharger... and attached to the turbocharger is a small cylinder about the diameter of a soup can and maybe a couple of inches long. On one end is a black vacuum hose and an electrical connector... a mechanical rod comes out the other end and goes into the center of the turbo itself between the input side and the exhaust side.

That's the turbo actuator... and the wires going into it are a possible cause of your trouble code.

Mentioning all this because it's nowhere near the valve cover and not accessible from the top. if that's where you're looking. :)

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Vince, thats how my 2004 looked as you described, I put it on my lift and saw nothing. went to the the top and behind the valve cover is the vacuum cylinder with what looks like the accurator rod for the waste gate. It had a heat shield blanket over the wires, and a vacuum port but Im thinking Im looking at something else. Damn guys, let me put her back on the lift

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
Same code p2564 happened at my 2004 Jetta TDI BEW engine two year ago. End up replaced the turbo actuator with a brand new VNT17 smart actuator(need modify at bracket to fit VNT17 actuator), hopefully you just the wire not the actuator but I believed 2006 TDI turbo are different to the 2004 although they all from Borg Warner.

Last edited:

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks chz17, I looked again under the car. Put up on my new lift and ripped the mud flap off> ****!!! Anyway this set up is different, I had to double check, but its on top, VW, must have recognized the bad design. Ill pull the plug off and check wiring to ground. Its not like my 2004 bew. the 3 wires run into a harness, dont know where to check continuity on the the other end. Now someone said it it is feed back into the ECU. Ill post the picture when I can down load off my phone, new phone, ****. have not down loaded with it yet. You guys are great, lets figure this bugger out!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you want to check for continuity you'll need to pull the ECU plug off and test each wire individually (the wires may be grounded either passively or actively by the ECU and will confuse your test if the harness stays plugged in at the ECU end).

Often a careful visual inspection and gentle flex of each wire right where it enters the plug on the turbo actuator) reveals the bad boy. :)

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
okay guys, the unit is on the top, nothing underneath, different than my 04 bew. pulled the plug and metered. one is a direct short, probably the ground the other have some resistance, thinking the wiring is good, what next?

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Vince, let me send the picture. new phone, dont know how to use it yet, I need to send this, thanks buddy!

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Cant get the picture to down load, something is corrupt in the down load protocol.
Please note from my continuity readings the green is probably a ground, not shot, just a short or a 0 on my meter. lol The actuator is working fine thru the vacuum, but I'm guessing the ECU is not seeing it. Darn guys, anybody have a clue?

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
So you got the resistance from the actuator side? But that don't mean ECU can got correct signal from actuator.If you start the engine and you can detected voltage from actuator harness, the means you ECU wire for acuator are working. So the problem are in the acuator. FYI 06 Jetta TDI turbo used Borg Warner BV -39.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since the wiring seems to ring thru to the ECU (you see some resistance on the non-ground wires) then yup.. the actuator is the logical suspect, and tuning it out is the usual work around. :)

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
As always gentleman, thanks for your help. I'll check voltage to actuator harness. I need not see any originally but don,t know if the ignition and engine were on. I'll double check. you can tune around this issue, amazing

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
As always gentleman, thanks for your help. I'll check voltage to actuator harness. I need not see any originally but don,t know if the ignition and engine were on. I'll double check. you can tune around this issue, amazing
Yes it can be Tune out with chip tuning .
You are not far from me, let me know if you decide to tune it.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
okay Gentleman, checked voltage on plug going to the ECU, posted this last night, but It appears not have posted. the red-black wire had 4.9 volts, the other 2 had .03 volts, this may me error in my meter. but after reading Vince's link, these values seem good. Check my logic, but the vacuum portion is activating the actuator because the car runs good. so the turbo is working good, seeing the correct voltage from ECU