"Restrictor" in Turbo to Intercooler Hose BEW

sdk131

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL RC1+
So I ordered a Gates brand replacement hose (turbo to intercooler) for my 2004 BEW as it was significantly more affordable than the OEM version. During the replacement (due to worn nubs on the original causing a boost leak) I noticed there was a sort of "restrictor" plate on the turbo end of the original OEM hose, but NOT on the turbo end of the Gates hose.

Any idea what the function of this "restrictor" was? Obviously, have better throttle response and acceleration now since I fixed a boost leak.....but I have no way to tell if it was related to the lack of this restrictor.

Thoughts?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i believe it's more of a silencer than a restrictor... if you look at the outlet of your stock turbo the id is no bigger than the boost hose silencer so it's not much of a restriction aside from just adding an inch or two to the smaller diameter before it "opens" up to the rest of the intercooler piping.... btw, do you mind posting the part number of the gates hose and where you got it ?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh turbo damper, I think it's supposed to cut down on the whistle or something.

sdk131

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL RC1+

sdk131

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL RC1+
Just a follow up post for anyone that stumbles onto this thread. The Gates hose has failed (sidewall blew out). Hose has been on the car since November. I am running only a mild level 1 tune, and I drive very conservatively. May have just been a fluke.....but the hose did feel thinner than the oem hose. Negotiating with Amazon for a replacement.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Not Good...

I ordered the same hose but havent installed it yet. Did you get another Gates replacement? Any updates?

I recently bought their replacement for the Upper/EGR cooler hose. About 1/2 the price of OEM. Maybe no real savings after all?

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Gates upper hose let go

I tried the Gates hose, same reasoning/$$$

It's been two years, now has a short longitudinal split on the inside curve of the hose. Looking at fleabay, there's some from Poland, Turkey, of course China...

I'll get OEM VW, to avoid repeatedly replacing this.