Which one do I buy?

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
Been thinking about upgrading from an MK4 Golf. I like the hatchbacks. Don't know much about the newer models. What generation(s) should be avoided? Are all autos, autotragic? Don't want to spend more than $10K. Many thanks.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I’m somewhat curious as well.
I get the vibe that MK4 TDIs seem to represent a sort of Golden Era, but I’m newbie so who knows.
I’ve been tempted at the pretty late model TDIs but I’m ignorant

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
If you are targeting a newer tdi, just stay away from the 09ym as is the first year for the common rail engine and has many unique one year only parts...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Your splitting hairs, yea the mk4 is about as old as you can get thats a decent platform but your buying a VW. If you have the argument that you need a quality car, look to something else. dont get me wrong VW is fine and we love out MK3s and TDI's and what not but dont go saying that your looking for something thats not problematic. Look for what you want, then get it and worry about upkeep later. Plenty of these cars go 300K with little maintenance other than standard stuff.