More diesel volvo advice, please!

alissakk

Just had the new volvo (1985 diesel 760 wagon) checked-out at a local import shop - diagnostic + compression check.

I realize I was asking for it when I bought a car sight-unseen off ebay /images/graemlins/blush.gif, and I am prepared to invest money in the car if it seems like a reasonable option. However, the first thing this mechanic said to me this afternoon was that he did not recommend putting money into this vehicle, and proceeded to list the things he found wrong.

I would like anyone's opinion on the severity of the volvo's problems. Is it foolish for me to invest a couple thousand dollars in this vehcile? Should I fix or sell?

Problems:
water pump leaking-needs replaced & could likely lead to a
timing belt also
rear brakes + left rear calliper dragging
dirty brake fluid + dirty transmission fluid w/ small leak
battery terminals worn
egr system disconnected
inner tire rods - worn and loose
front strut leaking
oil leak near oil pan

kensterling

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
Go lease/buy a new TDI and stop punishing yourself. You cannot possibly /images/graemlins/confused.gif have enough $$ to Fix this Load! Volvo's are good cars, BUT there is a point at which you say NO.....this is it. Donate this Anchor and move on. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue
Unless I am way off base, this was a VW manufactured engine...making parts pretty accessable in today's market. Do you know the size/code for your engine?

I would always recommend a TB job on an older diesel as soon as you get it to make sure you have a nice new one on there (warm and comfy feeling). When you are there, pull the water pump and replace it. Check your local parts yards to see if it's the same pump as the VW pump. If so, being in the PNW is a blessing for you. There are plenty of VW parts around.

Keep in mind that this is a '85 vehicle. It's not going to be pristine or perfect, especially off eBay. If you're looking for a nice project, then you have it. It should not be all that bad.

However, if you're looking for nice daily driver w/o current or future maintainance issues, then follow the advice of your mechanic.

Links to look at:
http://www.volvoworld.com/700/Production760.htm
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/700techdata.htm (A UK site)

Mikey

Larry Larson

Veteran Member
I'd say you should consider 2 things: 1)do you really like this car and 2) is the basic platform in good shape. I've had a history of buying cars like yours and putting a lot of money into them and keeping them a long time. I haven't regretted it. I bought a '85 Mercedes 300TD wagon a couple years ago for $8500. It is rust free and only had 70K miles on it. I've put over $6k into it and now I have a car that I love and that will serve me well for many years. I remember taking it to the dealer and they told me exactly what your guy told you. But like I said, if you like it and it's basically solid, then have the work done. If you keep it long enough you will get your money's worth. Larry

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Nothing sounds surprising for a 15+yr old car.

Flush the brake system. Changing the belt and pump is probably the most expensive on this list.

I know you can get rear shocks in the aftermarket, I'm pretty sure you can get front struts as well.