here's a tough question...

silverTDIman

here\'s a tough question...

Where do I start? I want to put aftermarket gauges in my TDI. The airbag has already been removed and therefore the airbag warning light is on. I have a roll cage, aluminum dash, racing interior, lexan windows, and a heavily modified suspension for road racing. This is strictly a race vehicle with no plans for daily use.
How do I get the car to run without the factory guage cluster? It must have something to due with the odometer. When the blue connector on the cluster is removed the car dies immediately after startup. Is there a way around this? Please let me know. Any help is apprecaited.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

That's the immobilizer. It's built into the cluster. I don't think there's any way around it using the stock ECU.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora

Considering that this is a race vehicle, you might just want to see what is inside that cluster. You may just be able to rip out a certain board or something, and just leave that plugged in. Other option? Well, seeing as you have spent this much money, buy an ECU from like 2001 or something. I don't believe these earlier models had an imobilizer built in, and therefore the ECU would not be looking for it. Just kinda a backwards way to get around the problem.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

Convert to completely mechanical control injection pump and turbo. Problem solved, no computer needed.

MrDave

Veteran Member

You can turn off the airbag light by recoding the
"CAN Gateway" with your Vag-com.
from Ross-Tech
[ QUOTE ]
19 - CAN Gateway: -- KWP-1281
VAG-COM Works fine. This is physically located in the Instrument Cluster, but functionally it controls communications on the CAN-BUS.

Look at the last digit in the coding. Add the values for the options together to get the correct coding.

0 - No available equipment
+1 - Automatic Transmission
+2 - ABS Brakes
+4 - Airbags

So, if you want to support Automatic Transmission, ABS Brakes, and Airbags, (add 1+2+4 = 7) = 00007. Note: 2002+ models do not need to be coded separately for automatic transmission, so a 2002 with Automatic Transmission, ABS Brakes, and Airbags, (add 2+4 = 6) = 00006

[/ QUOTE ]

For the immobilizer/removal of the cluster,
talk to Jeff at www.rocketchip.com.
Quote from the TDI-Conversion mailing list:
[ QUOTE ]
I can bypass the immobilizer by reflashing your ecu firmware to industrial TDI version. I can also add tuning chip too, for stage 1, 2, or 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
info@rocketchip.com

Running custom gauges will require something to be added for a tach signal. The current tach reads off the Can-bus. (2002MY anyway). There is no W plug on the alternator.

You may also have running issues if you remove the cluster.
My TDI tends to buck a bit if the ECU doesn't see a VSS (speedo) signal. I have an intermittant problem with my speed sensor.

-Dave

silverTDIman

Let's say that I go with a manual control setup of the turbo and injector pump. What pump should I use and what kind of turbo control is necessary for a VNT? If you let the turbo run wide open, I know I will need enough fuel to support it but what else will be necessary? Actually, this does not sound all that complicated.