Exhaust Fumes in cabim

cbcyclist

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2002, red
Hi, I'm new to the list. I have a 2002 Jetta Wagon with manual transmission.

I have a really anoying problem. Occasionally, I get very strong exhaust fumes in the cabin. So strong that I have to roll all the windows down.

It all started after I got caught in last August's hurricane in Richmond, Va. To get out of harms way I had to drive through deep standing water the even nocked the front spoiler loose and stalled the engine twice.

Since my boating incident, my fuel mileage is down to 42mpg. If I run the engine over 3000 rpm, even briefly, I get the fumes.

I took it two two different and good mechanics who said they could not find anything wrong with the exhaust system.

Has anyone encountered the problem?

Thanks,

Chris

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
There are small rubber flapper vents in the back end of the car that might have been pushed open the wrong way and now stuck thus letting exhaust in. Its happened to a few folks after minor accidents.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Occasionally, I get very strong exhaust fumes in the cabin. So strong that I have to roll all the windows down... my fuel mileage is down to 42mpg. If I run the engine over 3000 rpm, even briefly, I get the fumes.

I took it two two different and good mechanics who said they could not find anything wrong with the exhaust system.
Chris, welcome to tdiclub.

Are you sure you're smelling exhaust fumes? Could you be smelling diesel fuel, from a leaky injector, because this would explain the lower fuel economy?

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Just had this happen in my '02 Jetta Wagon, turned out to be the flex pipe. Never made the connection to why I heard the turbo better.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Check EGR cooler connections as well. One of mine once had a crack and I could smell exhaust. Car was under warranty at the time so I took it to the dealer twice and they couldn't find anything. People who want to find nothing, will often find nothing.

I eventually crawled underneath and found the leak myself in about three seconds. Once I pointed it out, they fixed it...

There's a photo in this thread that shows the EGR pipe circled in orange: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=349180

Also check the flex pipe that you can see on the right side of the photo. There could be a crack which would be hard to see because of the corrugated pipe. Look for soot stains.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What is the purpose of these vents? My guess would be to keep the inner rear quarters dry and prevent rust.
They're flow-through vents to allow circulation (air exchange).

I'd verify the exhaust system. A small hole wouldn't be all that perceptible when it comes to noise (which is what is usually the trigger for someone to decide to look at the exhaust system), but can introduce fumes into the cabin.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I was thinking about the original problem, I don't think an exhaust leak would kill fuel mileage. CBcyclist, not sure if this is your first year in the wagon or where you are located, but most of us take a fuel mileage hit during winter months.

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am having a similar issue. I only get the smell ( I may only smell it then) when the vent are in recirculate mode. I'm leaning towards an exhaust leak and will check this weekend, but I just started noticing this week.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The vents in the back of the car are to allow ventilation, but come on, if you have diesel smell inside your car, there is some sort of problem. The diesel smell, if any, should be behind your car as you drive.

The first thing I think of an engine driven through deep water is hydro-lock. If you stalled the engine, it could be water ingestion. All it takes is 24cc's of water into any cylinder and you bend a rod. A compression test will reveal that.

An exhaust leak that 1) decreases boost efficiency and 2) causes cabin exhaust smell; the flex pipe between the exhaust manifold and the EGR cooler is a great place to start. If you listen with a piece of hose to your ear, and place it near those fittings, a leak will make a hissing noise; sometimes a reedy noise.

Here is a pic of the exhaust to EGR cooler 'flex pipe'.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/a4/TB_head_rem/turbor1.jpg
There are two stainless steel gaskets, two 8m x 1.25 allen head bolts and two 8m x 1.25 pinch nuts. Check to be sure the bellows on the pipe are not cracked and that the bolts are tight. You will have to remove the plastic intake pipe that goes from the intake air bellows to the turbo to access the EGR pipe decently.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The diesel smell, if any, should be behind your car as you drive.
Frank, Frank, Frank... this is not the case if you drive the car in reverse! :rolleyes:

Exhaust break behind the rear of the CAT. Been there, done that! (just replaced the downpipe + cat in my car because of this)

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
heh... I tend to try to keep going forward. But I love the smell of diesel i the morning.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
have you ever driven with an open trunk or hatch?
What, are you looking to figure out what happened to me?:eek::D

I've flown in a CH53 with it's rear cargo door down. Driving my old IDI truck during winter reminds me of that!:D

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I was just trying to point out that the exhaust fumes entering the passanger compartment are intense when you have any opening in the rear of the vehicle.....even when driving forwards.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I had the same thing... it was my lower EGR pipe that cracked. got a headache after an hour... figured I smelled exhaust fumes, the headache proved it.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Definitely get yourself a mirror and a piece of hose for searching the exhaust for leaks.

Unfortunately the other statement is far too possible as well.
If you hydro locked the engine this is all bad, if you have the means, check the compression.

Other thing is that you could have clogged the snow screen and the bypass vent.
If you have VAG-COM check the requested and actual intake air for comparison.
Have you looked at the air filter?