Touareg 2012 Tdi

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG & 2008 E320 Bluetec
switching from simple and cheap to fix Tiguan to complicated and expensive to fix touareg? Good luck.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Do it...dont listen to the haters who dont even own one...likely never have. By far the best car ive ever driven or owned, better then my mk6 and mk4 tdis.....I dont know anyone with a t3 tdi touareg who doesnt love it

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Regardless of whether the 2012 Treg TDI is a good buy or not, they are no longer available in the USA because they are slated for buyback. I haven't seen one for sale anywhere. Can they still be had north of the boarder?

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
dont listen to the haters who dont even own one...likely never have. By far the best car ive ever driven or owned, better then my mk6 and mk4 tdis.
I totally agree. The car is great. But it is more expensive to maintain, comparing to Tuguan, and MUCH more expensive to fix. And topic starter 'had enough of tiguan' cause ignition coil failed twice.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I totally agree. The car is great. But it is more expensive to maintain, comparing to Tuguan, and MUCH more expensive to fix. And topic starter 'had enough of tiguan' cause ignition coil failed twice.
ignition coils on a 2.0t who woulda guessed its about as often as oil changes....the 3.0 tdi is bullet proof...touareg is built a far higher level then almost any other vw...its well thought out and robust to say the least. I really dont find maintance that much higher...a bit more oil, fuel filter costs a bit more....havent needed to touch the brakes but im sure they will be a bit more then a jetta.....but when i need to haul anything i do, when i need to plow snow with the bumper with ease i can...you dont buy a touareg because its cheap, you buy it because very few suvs even come close

You still havent told me whats gonna fail? having owned one and watched the forum for a few years the t3 has very little issues.....drive shaft bearing ( duh drivelines dont last forever) and urea injection which is easy and benifical to fix the right way.....aside from that and maybe the fuel pump...which again is not that common...far less common then 2.0crs. Everyone said my mk6 would be crap made in mexico the fuel pump would blow blah blah blah...dont run it under 1/4 tank the pump will drop out. LOL i laugh so hard at all the conspiracies...my mk6 now has almost 280,000kms on it...stock clutch tuned from 100,000kms...currently running malone stage 3.5 cr170 turbo and pulls like a freight train...it towed sled trailers, atvs etc all the time. It was ran below 1/4 tank nearly every tank and it still has the original hpfp...oh and if that wasnt stress enough if you rod on it and go up over 5000rpm the rail pressure would drop enough to throw limp mode...yet pump still works.

The touareg has seen near empty more then a few times and usually sees below 1/4 tank...perhaps im just that lucky but i dont buy into all the worries everyone else does.....

Last edited:

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
The Treg isn't bullet proof, and you can get worried reading Club Touareg forms, same as here. Yes it's a step up from a jetta, but it's also a $80,000 + new as well.

But it's a great ride. My 09 is close to hitting 210,000 km and needs items that wear out at that milage, but my brakes have over 80,000k on them.

I had PS to every tank for the HPFP, but i'm convinced all the issues you read about are from wither bad fuel, or miss fueling. But it's a CR.

Like Nike says, Just. Do. It.

... then you can get the secret decoder ring too :)

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I find that with the Touareg...the biggest pain in the ass issues are with the whole clean diesel bull**** system. That is what our T2 has been an ******* about. Most recently, we need to replace the adblue tank heater...which I haven't tackled yet. Other then a few small quirks and VW's ****ty rust situation, it's been a decent car.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I had the dealer change the adblue heater. I had put it off for over a year, but needed it for emissions test.

The other things, like you said, VW stuff. Air bag BS from the passenger seat, and rust spots.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I had the dealer change the adblue heater. I had put it off for over a year, but needed it for emissions test.

The other things, like you said, VW stuff. Air bag BS from the passenger seat, and rust spots.

It's seriously crazy how a 6-7 year old car can start rusting at the rear quarters...with 60k on the clock.

Jeep Cherokee CRD is my next purchase.

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
It's seriously crazy how a 6-7 year old car can start rusting at the rear quarters..
Probably as a result of accident repair...

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Treg isn't bullet proof, and you can get worried reading Club Touareg forms, same as here. Yes it's a step up from a jetta, but it's also a $80,000 + new as well.

But it's a great ride. My 09 is close to hitting 210,000 km and needs items that wear out at that milage, but my brakes have over 80,000k on them.

I had PS to every tank for the HPFP, but i'm convinced all the issues you read about are from wither bad fuel, or miss fueling. But it's a CR.

Like Nike says, Just. Do. It.

... then you can get the secret decoder ring too :)
t2 to t3 is quite different....i think the t3 is as close to bulletproof as an suv would get and i never said the touareg was bullet proof i said the 3.0 engine is...and frankly it is very solid and aside from the odd one having chain trouble it is a dream engine....amazing sound and with a little tweaking it is a total animal . I dont have any urea issues which is really all that seems to be issues with t3s.

Last edited:

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
It's seriously crazy how a 6-7 year old car can start rusting at the rear quarters...with 60k on the clock.
Jeep Cherokee CRD is my next purchase.
Mine has rust from the license plate lights. It's bad. I quicked fixed it before the winter, but i need to clean it all up and figure out how to repaint it this summer.