www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old February 8th, 2017, 10:40   #1
ctennyson

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Default Touareg 2012 Tdi

I am looking at purchasing a used 3.0L Touareg TDi. (2012)

Is this vehicle affected by the scandal ?
ctennyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 10:57   #2
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Yes.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 05:37   #3
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Yes.

True...but they haven't done anything to compensate those (besides the credit cards)
Old February 9th, 2017, 06:07   #4
TQOOOO
Veteran Member

switching from simple and cheap to fix Tiguan to complicated and expensive to fix touareg? Good luck.
TQOOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:33   #5
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Do it...dont listen to the haters who dont even own one...likely never have. By far the best car ive ever driven or owned, better then my mk6 and mk4 tdis.....I dont know anyone with a t3 tdi touareg who doesnt love it
2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 10:15   #6
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Regardless of whether the 2012 Treg TDI is a good buy or not, they are no longer available in the USA because they are slated for buyback. I haven't seen one for sale anywhere. Can they still be had north of the boarder?
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:39   #7
TQOOOO
Veteran Member

Quote:
dont listen to the haters who dont even own one...likely never have. By far the best car ive ever driven or owned, better then my mk6 and mk4 tdis.
I totally agree. The car is great. But it is more expensive to maintain, comparing to Tuguan, and MUCH more expensive to fix. And topic starter 'had enough of tiguan' cause ignition coil failed twice.
Old February 10th, 2017, 14:18   #8
mjhandy
Veteran Member

Just get it. I love our T2.
2000 Jetta TDI, 568K km, Bye bye

mjhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:06   #9
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQOOOO View Post
I totally agree. The car is great. But it is more expensive to maintain, comparing to Tuguan, and MUCH more expensive to fix. And topic starter 'had enough of tiguan' cause ignition coil failed twice.
ignition coils on a 2.0t who woulda guessed its about as often as oil changes....the 3.0 tdi is bullet proof...touareg is built a far higher level then almost any other vw...its well thought out and robust to say the least. I really dont find maintance that much higher...a bit more oil, fuel filter costs a bit more....havent needed to touch the brakes but im sure they will be a bit more then a jetta.....but when i need to haul anything i do, when i need to plow snow with the bumper with ease i can...you dont buy a touareg because its cheap, you buy it because very few suvs even come close

You still havent told me whats gonna fail? having owned one and watched the forum for a few years the t3 has very little issues.....drive shaft bearing ( duh drivelines dont last forever) and urea injection which is easy and benifical to fix the right way.....aside from that and maybe the fuel pump...which again is not that common...far less common then 2.0crs. Everyone said my mk6 would be crap made in mexico the fuel pump would blow blah blah blah...dont run it under 1/4 tank the pump will drop out. LOL i laugh so hard at all the conspiracies...my mk6 now has almost 280,000kms on it...stock clutch tuned from 100,000kms...currently running malone stage 3.5 cr170 turbo and pulls like a freight train...it towed sled trailers, atvs etc all the time. It was ran below 1/4 tank nearly every tank and it still has the original hpfp...oh and if that wasnt stress enough if you rod on it and go up over 5000rpm the rail pressure would drop enough to throw limp mode...yet pump still works.

The touareg has seen near empty more then a few times and usually sees below 1/4 tank...perhaps im just that lucky but i dont buy into all the worries everyone else does.....
2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap

Last edited by Savageman69; February 13th, 2017 at 02:17.
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 03:00   #10
mjhandy
Veteran Member

The Treg isn't bullet proof, and you can get worried reading Club Touareg forms, same as here. Yes it's a step up from a jetta, but it's also a $80,000 + new as well.

But it's a great ride. My 09 is close to hitting 210,000 km and needs items that wear out at that milage, but my brakes have over 80,000k on them.

I had PS to every tank for the HPFP, but i'm convinced all the issues you read about are from wither bad fuel, or miss fueling. But it's a CR.

Like Nike says, Just. Do. It.

... then you can get the secret decoder ring too

Old February 13th, 2017, 07:27   #11
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

I find that with the Touareg...the biggest pain in the ass issues are with the whole clean diesel bull**** system. That is what our T2 has been an ******* about. Most recently, we need to replace the adblue tank heater...which I haven't tackled yet. Other then a few small quirks and VW's ****ty rust situation, it's been a decent car.
Old February 13th, 2017, 07:54   #12
mjhandy
Veteran Member

I had the dealer change the adblue heater. I had put it off for over a year, but needed it for emissions test.

The other things, like you said, VW stuff. Air bag BS from the passenger seat, and rust spots.

Old February 13th, 2017, 11:40   #13
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhandy View Post
I had the dealer change the adblue heater. I had put it off for over a year, but needed it for emissions test.

The other things, like you said, VW stuff. Air bag BS from the passenger seat, and rust spots.

It's seriously crazy how a 6-7 year old car can start rusting at the rear quarters...with 60k on the clock.

Jeep Cherokee CRD is my next purchase.
Old February 13th, 2017, 12:24   #14
TQOOOO
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's seriously crazy how a 6-7 year old car can start rusting at the rear quarters..
Probably as a result of accident repair...
Old February 13th, 2017, 16:43   #15
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQOOOO View Post
Probably as a result of accident repair...

No, not in our case nor the case of a family friend and their T2.