www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 19th, 2015, 21:40   #1
silverfstop

Default 2010 vs 2012 Touareg

Howdy All-

Looking forward to adding a TDI to our fleet, and I could use a little help from the sages of the forum.

I'm bouncing back and forth between the Touareg2 and the current body style. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of something ~5 years old versus newer. The primary appeal of the Treg2 is the low range gearbox - though I'm fairly sure I'll never put it to real use. I don't own a boat, and I have exactly zero desire to go off roading in any scenario where low range and locking diffs is required. On the other hand, the 2010's are also less costly, which is a nice offset.

So, aside from my attachment to gears I'll never use - can anyone weigh in with info about the stuff that really matters - reliability, ownership costs, maintenance, etc? For the moment, let's consider the cosmetics a draw, and only focus on what's likely to break, and how much that'll cost to repair. Obviously the newer model will have more technology, but my current daily driver is a B5 S4 - so I really won't know the difference.

Thanks!
silverfstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:01   #2
Tom_B
Veteran Member

Recommend reading a lot at clubtouareg.com, and there's also a good summary/comparison on myturbodiesel.com. One reality is *some* with the current body style have a steering wheel shake issue, but better mileage and so on. As far as what will break, speaking simply I don't perceive a whole lot of difference; they're both expensive when something does -- so strongly consider an extended warranty. They're both also probably a good bit more expensive to maintain than your S4. Good luck in your search.
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:45   #3
mjhandy
Veteran Member

We've had the 09 since mid November. It's completely different beast from the mkiv jetta. I knew what i was getting into, had both NOx sensor's replaced, and a connecting hose from the intake manifold to the turbo replaced. Dealer covered some, but the rest was me.

I should have had the car really checked out by my mechanic, but he wasn't available. I'd recommend doing this, and get a VCDS if you don't already have one.

That being said, the vehicle is great. Lots of room for the two of us and three dogs.
2000 Jetta TDI, 568K km, Bye bye

mjhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:14   #4
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

If you're getting something used, do a complete auto-scan with VCDS to check for codes in all modules. This is imperative, as a lot of codes won't trigger a check engine light or any other indication on the dash.

It would seem that the newer Touaregs (3rd gen) get better fuel economy due to the AWD system and some engine modifications. They are definitely decontented compared to older models with low range, locking diffs, air suspension, etc., but they may offer better value if you don't need/want all of that extra stuff (it's just more stuff to break anyway, right?).
Old January 21st, 2015, 23:04   #5
4ePikanini

The newer one is lighter and has a better gearbox.
4ePikanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 09:26   #6
OsirisTDI
Veteran Member

Set aside a few grand in cash, you will enjoy Touareg ownership. There is no real way to known if a part will fail or break. Normal maintenance(fluids & filters) is $600+/year, tires $800+, brakes for rotors & pads $1000+.

I speculate that most Touareg owners agree that the truck is overall a robust design. However, if you need to replace a failed part... you won't find bargain basement cost to repair this vehicle.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 10:43   #7
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Rotors and pads are that much? Maybe if you're also paying labor. V10 front brakes can be had from IDParts from $190 - $250 depending on what brand you choose, and those are for the 6-piston Brembo calipers! I can't imagine that the new 4-piston calipers are significantly more expensive...

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=2647
Old January 28th, 2015, 20:04   #8
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ePikanini View Post
The newer one is lighter and has a better gearbox.
Plus has an additional 2 gears - 8 gears forward, 1 for reverse.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 13:30   #9
NoobyT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

Yes, the 2012 T3 doesn't do too well on the gear number front as it only has 8 forward and 1 reverse compared to 12 and 2 on the 2010 T2.

The 2010 also had a diff lock as well as the glass opening in the rear hatch, a voltage meter on the dashboard and various other things that disappeared with the arrival of the T3!
NoobyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 15:21   #10
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobyT View Post
Yes, the 2012 T3 doesn't do too well on the gear number front as it only has 8 forward and 1 reverse compared to 12 and 2 on the 2010 T2.

The 2010 also had a diff lock as well as the glass opening in the rear hatch, a voltage meter on the dashboard and various other things that disappeared with the arrival of the T3!

Winner!
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:24   #11
ECFG

Fuel Economy: 25.0 combined for the Audi; 21.67 combined for 5900 lbs of Vanagon

Just picked up a gem of a 2010 TDI Touareg at the beginning of January with 92,000 miles on it. Was in perfect condition and had spotless maintenance history all from VW dealer in California. It drives great and so far is getting around 26 mpg combined.
ECFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 17:57   #12
Perry01
Veteran Member

Congratulations, good choice.
Perry01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 15:30   #13
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Congraduations ! There is no reason why ANY modern car should not be able to do @ least one major tune (100,000 to 120,000 miles) with normal scheduled maintenance.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote