Major air lock in cooling system( Help:()

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
Hey guys,
I devleoped a small leak in my zerostart I custom installed in my B4 Passat so I replaced and rerouted the hose that was leaking, refilled coolant and drove off for a test spin, well it got very hot very quickly, I pulled over and refilled the coolant and drove off again, well this thing will not purge, I have had this happen before when I installed the zerostart but found after a short drive it burped a large air bubble and after refilling all was well and thats not the case this time, I also have no heat, all lines are hot or atleast warm except for the heater core outlet, can anyone offer ideas? I assume it's really airbound but cannot seem to get the air out:(

Greaseburger

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
take the cap off the coolant reservoir. Take the clamp off the top radiator hose and fill the block slowly with coolant. The coolant will push any trapped air out of that hose. do the same for the radiator using the same hose. Start the engine and let idle for a while , you should see some bubbles coming out of the plastic tank. This works on all VWs.

Uncle_Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon A4 Silver
Had the same problem with the wifes' car. Finally checked the thermostat. Put a small hole in the thing to let the bubble bleed out.

So far, she has reported no problem with the temperature.

Hope you did not drive too far with a hot engine. Termal expansion with Aluminium is quite large. This is one of the things that as stopped me from getting a zerostart.