www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 10th, 2012, 09:43   #1
quadrun1
Veteran Member

Default A5 Jetta CR angst... replace with Passat??

Sorry, this has probably been covered before... But here goes.

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI w/DSG that I absolutely love.

But the iced intercooler and the HPFP issues have me stressed, it doesn't appear that we will get a good solution to these issues.

I do have the VW platinum warranty to 100,000 miles, but to me it is not making sense to keep a car which appears to have major design issues.

So I'm thinking of replacing the Jetta with a new Passat SE TDI.

I'm not crazy about the bigger size and bigger turning radius though.

I love the light and nimble feel of the Jetta, is this significantly diminished in the Passat?

I suppose I should go for a test drive.

Comments, please??

Thanks!
Jason

mods: Ed's HID projectors w/LED DRLs(type 1); Torque Pro; grocery bag hook; VCDS: hill hold disabled, hazards flash w/ABS activation, brighter taillights via higher voltage
quadrun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:45   #2
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

Why would you get a Passat TDI if you're that worried about the HPFP?
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:11   #3
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

You've got time to think it over, so no need to rush. I've never had hard start trouble with my Jetta, here in the Boston area. Unless you've had starting difficulties, I would't dump the car too hastily. Also, the hpfp issue is still an issue that affects a small percentage of CRs. Try to run 2% BD or use a lubricity additive consistently. You also have extended coverage and more time to enjoy your still new car. If you want a new Jetta or Passat in the future, I'd wait until the Jetta gets "refreshed" with some of the higher end components (2013?) and the Passat has been around for another model year or two. Just my 2 cents.
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:48   #4
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

You'll be throwing away a lot of dough if trading the TDI... from that perspective I wouldn't make the jump.

Also keep in mind there's a fix for the intercooler, and many are getting it covered under warranty. As for the HPFP, fuel additive is cheap insurance. If you're really stressed over the HPFP, then check your fuel filter for signs of metal as part of every oil change. Similarly, those of us with BRM motors are pulling the valve cover on a regular basis to check cam wear.
Old February 10th, 2012, 17:01   #5
skinnyb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 JSW TDI
Fuel Economy: Slightly north of 40 MPG

I went from a 2010 MKV Jetta TDI sedan 6 speed manual to a 2012 DSG Passat TDI and haven't looked back. I do admit the Passat does drive different but I drive a lot on the open road and the road manners and larger size is a huge plus for me. The turning radius isn't that much different IMO. I have a tight turn to get into the carport that has me cut the wheel sharply upon entry and I haven't had to adjust any with the Passat. If you like the Passat, do it!! However dont get scared away from the MKV if you like it. I had zero issues in my ownership of one and traded at 52k miles.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:19   #6
quadrun1
Veteran Member

No hard start troubles here, and I do agree that additives should help the HPFP. I think the issue is not only the low lubricity of the ULSD, but also rust, water, and general fuel system cleanliness...

I really enjoy my MKV CR Jetta, I will hang on to it for now, thanks for all the responses!

Jason

mods: Ed's HID projectors w/LED DRLs(type 1); Torque Pro; grocery bag hook; VCDS: hill hold disabled, hazards flash w/ABS activation, brighter taillights via higher voltage
quadrun1 is offline   Reply With Quote