MK5 GT TDi 170bhp power upgrades

Jaymz

TDI
MK5 GT TDi 170bhp manual
Hi Guys, newbie here so please take it easy :)

Ive done quite a bit of searching around here and on the net and have also looked at the TDi FAQ but am still struggling to source good info on power upgrades for the 170bhp 2.0 TDi.

I am all the way over in Australia and am in the process of purchasing a GT TDi 170bhp manual Golf.

I have found some tuners over here that can remap the factory ECU & take power up to 195bhp but i want more. In Brisbane here I have the APR distributer and will more than likely use them to remap. That is unless you guys can recommend another tuner that can get more power without compromising effiency.

Basically i also want to know what is next? If by tuning alone can reach 200bhp? what else can be done before i start replacing turbos? And what bhp will they take the engine to?
I know putting a freer flowing panel air filter will help but what else can be done?

What is the maximum bhp the standard turbo can flow?

Also can someone tell me how much bhp can the factory clutch handle?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
G'Day Mate!

I have to say that I'm extremely jealous of the fact that you even have such a beast available for purchase Down Under! Not fair!!! :mad:

As far as APR goes, they don't really have much of a reputation as far as TDI tuning. With the 1.8T / 2.0T APR is top-notch! If I were you I'd be looking into what's available in Europe for TDI tuning to see what your options are. I know that Aligator has done lots of tuning for TDI's of all kinds so he's likely got some goodies for the 170hp 2.0 TDI. And the nice thing about that is, with the purchase of a Q-loader from Kerma TDI, you can receive upgrade files via e-mail and upload them yourself.

Hope you find what you're looking for and please post up some pics and data when you get the car!:D

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Your limited to about 200 safe hp with that motor on stock components. Want more and you'll probably need to go for a larger turbo. If it's the same APR in the US, they don't advertise TDI chips on their website. I'd stay local with your chiptuning or use a tuner with more tuning experience in European models as we never got that engine in the USA.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
You are a good candidate for an ECU tune delivered via Q-loader...

Jaymz

TDI
MK5 GT TDi 170bhp manual
KERMA said:
You are a good candidate for an ECU tune delivered via Q-loader...
Sounds very interesting. Ive looked at you web, lots of nice goodies!
What can you offer me in terms of a remap?
What will it cost me?
Also is the remap for the same fuel as we have here? And is there anyone else here down under with the same engine and your remap?

Cheers,
Jamie

Jaymz

TDI
MK5 GT TDi 170bhp manual
droppedjet said:
yeah lets get some pictures
No problem will do as soon as it arrives. I work for a dealer here so I am going to swap off the standard 17' alloys and put some 19" RS4 reps and drop it with a prokit right off the bat. Going with Blue Graphite and they only come in 5 door here.
Should look alright :D

Jaymz

TDI
MK5 GT TDi 170bhp manual
Scott_DeWitt said:
Your limited to about 200 safe hp with that motor on stock components. Want more and you'll probably need to go for a larger turbo. If it's the same APR in the US, they don't advertise TDI chips on their website. I'd stay local with your chiptuning or use a tuner with more tuning experience in European models as we never got that engine in the USA.
Yes APR dont have their own here either, they're an agent for Oettinger.
This the the upgrade they speak of http://www.oettinger.de/index2_e.htm

Look ok but ive just found Superchips web and they are quoting more power and torque but their dyno graph starts at 180bhp?http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/vag20tdi170.pdf
Correct me if i'm wrong but these guys would have a good reputation?

Thanks Guys

CandyCabrio

Veteran Member

devonmikeyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 2.0 PD140 Quattro S-Line
A lot of European tuning companies sale remaps for that engine which is limited to 200bhp due to the DMF. Milltek have just produced a replacement down pipe that removes the DPF and some tuning companies are now claiming about 220-230 bhp with the stock turbo.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
The DPF seems to be the real limiter in that engine. That turbo is capable of atleast 200hp without streching that much.

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
i bealive there is not enough to remove the dpf phisically,i bealive you need to remove the dpf electronically also as you don't want a board computer full of christmas lights.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
hatemi said:
The DPF seems to be the real limiter in that engine. That turbo is capable of atleast 200hp without streching that much.
The turbo is capable of 240bhp more less... the problem is the DPF that goes into safe mode with more than 205bhp.
Take the DPF out and you can go to a nice power value.

Cheers

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
ArturCosta said:
The turbo is capable of 240bhp more less... the problem is the DPF that goes into safe mode with more than 205bhp.

Cheers
Anyway you can use a racing DPF the same like those from WTCC championship......or replace it with straiht pipe (need to modify ECU to avoid safe mode)......

I will work soon on new project 2.0tdi 16V.....AUDI A3......targer power anywhere in 400hp zone. I will try to gain over customer for use a race DPF!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
For those of us that are here on the "other" side of the ocean and don't have these super-sexy TDI's and therefor don't know much about them, what is a DPF?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
ArturCosta said:

Cheers
In Belgium there's a PD130 ibiza with a PD170 turbo.. (GT1749VC) turbo is welded onto lug collector.. holds up for more than 60.000km's now.. turbo flows about 220bhp in that car..

But as said, the DPF screws it.. The hear should have some more breathing room than the 8v heads from stock.. maybe you can gain some top end by removing the flappers that shut of the second runner on low rpms don't know..

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
All the new touaregs (R5 and V6) you see here have straight exhaust pipes.. you can put a with cloth in the exhaust.. it's still white..

skodacombi

Veteran Member
TDI
skoda fabia 101 hp
we have a company who makes about 220 hp on that enigine,and no smoke at all the companys name is landberg.dk please contakt him for more info.......michael

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
Ed's TDI said:
For those of us that are here on the "other" side of the ocean and don't have these super-sexy TDI's and therefor don't know much about them, what is a DPF?
DPF- Diesel Particle Filters

16V tdi is a good choice for racing.....anyway it need to make a shot peening to the cylinder head and also a thermal coating. This 4V design and central injector position is a best for power gains, but it create a high stress area between intake/injector ports. I recommend everybody who want´s to go in racing with this engine to make it. Another high power gains has to be a intake port......it´s a quite smart trick to help this engine breath...

Last edited:

Jaymz

TDI
MK5 GT TDi 170bhp manual
Thanks guys appreciate the help.

So tell me, what replaces the DPF if i remove it? Who makes such a part?
If i remove the DPF after its been tuned to 200hp will i see 220-240hp with the freer flowing exhaust, or will i have to retune again?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Jaymz said:

If i remove the DPF after its been tuned to 200hp will i see 220-240hp with the freer flowing exhaust, or will i have to retune again?
The DPF is located in the exhaust system. In addition to the hardware you will also need to have the logic for DPF function removed from the software in the ECM. If you opt for just a chip or tune with the DPF you will have to get a re-tune when you have it removed.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
Jaymz said:

I can recommend you a race DPF from HJS motorsport.

Jaymz

TDI
MK5 GT TDi 170bhp manual
StingrayRT said:
I can recommend you a race DPF from HJS motorsport.
Thanks, I will look into it.

Guys, can you tell me if this engine/ECU can be tuned in real time? Can I run it on a dyno and map it as it goes?
Do diesels have this capability?

Sorry for the silly questions guys, know heaps about petrol engines but diesel is all Japanese to me.

Thanks,
Jamie

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Yes, if you have the right equipment.. you can follow where you are on the map, make some changes, turn off engine, flash, and run.. takes around 30 secs to flash..

Jaymz

TDI
MK5 GT TDi 170bhp manual
Rub87 said:
Yes, if you have the right equipment.. you can follow where you are on the map, make some changes, turn off engine, flash, and run.. takes around 30 secs to flash..
What is the right equipment? I ask this because performance diesels are a new thing over here and i want to know if they have the right gear before i book my car in.