Steering sounds???

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
Hey guys,

Ive got a 12 Audi A3 and for the last few weeks, after i had my DPF, EGR and EGR Motor replaced after i got the "fix". ive been hearing a sound comming from my steering. Its NOT metal grinding or any sort of vibration. It just happens when im in a parking lot and driving around. There is no sort of vibration, or any pulling to one side or the other.
The alighnment is good as well, but the tires are a little cupped and need to be replaced soonish. IF i had to guess, it sounds like rubber rubbing against something but is hard to tell.
If im sitting still, and turn the wheel left to right i can not make the same sound happen, but if i start driving slowly it happens both to the left and right

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I might have something similar but have never considered it worth worrying about. A bit of a hum when turning the steering wheel? Sound happens about when an old time power rack might squeak? Noticeable at low speeds?

I only get it with the summer tires, which makes me think it has to do with the force the rack is putting out. Winters are squishier and need less force. Since the mk6 rack is all electric I have just assumed it is nothing to worry about.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
This is most likely your clock spring. There was going to be a recall on almost all mk6 clock springs, but they never figured out how to fix it. I described mine as two rubber bands rubbing against each other.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Mine does make groaning sound from time to time like if I am completely out of steering fluid but dont have it at all LOL rather odd. I am used to it. Guess its the quirks of the electric steering system.