TIming belt teeth don't match cam sproket

SelectEuroCars

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
We TRY to keep each of the models in stock. I drove a Pickup > 500,000mi, ex drove a Jetta 304k mi then I sold the motor and it was used another year +!
TIming belt teeth don\'t match cam sproket

In the last several months the 028 109 119 P timing belt which according to VW supers all prev for 98 Jetta, 96 Passat etc have come through with teeth not matching sprocket. At first this was only a Continental problem but now on Gates belts purchased through dealer or Gates T242!!! Dealer techs say FORCE the belt on and we did that today for the first time after trying ~ 5 belts!!! Customer was waiting and Seemed to work out ok only needing to retard pump timing a bit but techs are scared of teeth being RIPPED off belt. We had seen a similar problem with the 038 109 119 D but the 038 109 119M corrected this flaw on A4 TDI. I have sent belts to Continental as samples and asked our local jobber to deliver 10 more of the T242 to see if any fit correctly!!!! We also ordered a new cam sprocket to see if that makes a difference!?!?! Comments?? Experience?? No bulletins from VW except a parts dept note that the P supers all previous!
Thanks

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
TIming belt teeth don\'t match cam sproket

are you putting the belt on the sprocket then applying it to the end of the camshaft? or are you trying to slide the belt on to the sprocket while it is still bolted to the camshaft? The former is the proper method and tooth matching is not an issue.