Coolant Smell?

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
Hey everyone

I've noticed twice now when I get home and park the car in the garage a very noticeable coolant smell coming from the car. I check quickly but could not see any leaks.

My Sig needs updating so my new ride is a 2012 Jetta Highline w. DSG.

I read somewhere but can't find it now this seems like a known issue in regards to the water pump?

Is anyone seeing this issue and has anyone had their car back to the dealer for the fix?

Cheers,

Peter

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Hmmm every VAG car I've owned has had a small of Coolant when shutdown hot... I always figured it was from the heat building up and the (top mounted) overflow tank outgassing.

Also G12 is very low water, and stronger smelling.

If your level doesn't go down, I wouldn't worry much. G12 is fairly easy to spot leaks... it "foams" up usually.

Hogndos

TDI
2012 TDI Premium w/Nav
Just throwing this out there as I have noted it during the rainy season here in Oregon (oh yeah, EVERY season is the rainy season here)...the windshield washer/antifreeze that came from the factory/dealer has a very strong "coolant" smell....more so I think than any store bought fluid I have used...the first time I used the washer ...thought I had spouted a coolant leak as the smell seemed to find it's way into the cabin directly....probably not related to what your getting... only just a thought...

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Just throwing this out there as I have noted it during the rainy season here in Oregon (oh yeah, EVERY season is the rainy season here)...the windshield washer/antifreeze that came from the factory/dealer has a very strong "coolant" smell....more so I think than any store bought fluid I have used...the first time I used the washer ...thought I had spouted a coolant leak as the smell seemed to find it's way into the cabin directly....probably not related to what your getting... only just a thought...

This ^^^^^^^^^^

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
Sorry for the absence, The smell prevails but me nor the dealer know the root cause yet. If the reservoir looses fluid to the point it trips the low limit sensor they told me to take it back again for another review.

Pressure testing the tested yielded no results.

Thanks for the tips on the matter,

Cheers,

Peter