Launch control???

xtreem

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm thinking that my 2006.5 SE Jetta TDI with the DSG might have launch control. Does anyone know whether or not I can confirm?

xtreem

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
after reading a little more, i wouldn't think it would benefit us anyhow. It looks like LC is just giving the DSG a higher "stall" speed. We don't need the higher "stall" speeds since our torque comes at 1200-2000 RPM.
Now that said, it seems I have yet to learn how to properly launch my TDi. Should I be power braking it? pre-loading to about 1K? stomp and go?? any suggestions? From what I have tried, it looks like my first 1/2 sec from stop kinda bogs until the turbo kicks in. How do i get a holeshot?

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
These cars are not dragsters. Chips, injectors or any other mod for that matter doesn't make them fast. I'd say take it easy on that DSG and drive it normally.

xtreem

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I know I dont have a dragster and I know I dont have a race car. I want to autocross the tdi and am looking for pointers on launching the thing and was wondering what the capabilities of the DSG is. I've never driven a tru manu-matic before and was looking for advice.

Rasberrys all around for the lovely responses. :p:p:p:p:p

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
LOL......
The DSG has been used in Europe for years.......But I would state that the Jury is still out on it here in NA, there have been some failures especially early on......and Just recently the Dual mass flywheel failed on a DSG car and took out the Transmission.......
If you decide to autocross the car I would say you are on your own as far as warranty is concerned....

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Rocket Chip can make it fast, but you run out of 1st gear really quickly. If you 'must' get a hole shot style launch, then consider smaller diameter tires to get into the power sooner.

You also may want to PM StealthTDI http://www.stealthtdi.com/Handling.html and pick Scott's brain about a what he did to his car.

-Mike
2005.5 A5 Jetta TDI 5M RC1++ CCV

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It is mentioned in my owners manual. If I remember right, you turn off the ESP, nail the brake and then the throttle. The engine goes to 2500 or so and stays there. Release the brake when ready.

Early ones didn't have it, late ones might.

Bill

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
If you launch at 2,5k rpms, (without traction control), Wouldn't you be spinning the tires almost right away? Spinning means not moving forward. But it looks exciting.

The idea behing Quattro was to eliminated wasted energy and turn it into usefull traction.

-Mike

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
BTTT.

This is in the '09 manual and we tried it today, just, well, because :)

And . . . it doesn't work. The engine bogs/stalls if you get it anywhere near 2000 RPM.

I admit, it was kind of a let down.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Windjammer said:
He has a manual, that's where he read about launch control. :D
LOL

For real, have you tried E-braking it just to put a little load on it? Or power brake it? You can spin 1st very easy chipped, so you don't need to do much to have a negative effect and waste traction.