see any H3 yellow fog bulbs around ?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Do you want yellow because you like the looks? I have seen a number of studies that the yellow color actually detracts from the usefulness of them.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Joe_Meehan said:
Do you want yellow because you like the looks? I have seen a number of studies that the yellow color actually detracts from the usefulness of them.
And I've actually read that yellow is the best colour for fog lights...who to believe in this crazy world.

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Slave2school said:
And I've actually read that yellow is the best colour for fog lights...who to believe in this crazy world.

Old wives tale.

This theory is based on Rayleigh's principle that longer wave lengths (red, orange and yellow light waves) get refracted/reflected less then shorter wave lenghts (white light waves). This is only true if the object reflecting the light is extremely small. Fog particles are WAY to big to for this principle to actually work. So basicly the better fog light is the brightest light.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Thanks Bmarc I guess that scholing is paying off :) It wasn't till rescently that france changed over to "normal" standards too.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Bmarc said:
Old wives tale.

This theory is based on Rayleigh's principle that longer wave lengths (red, orange and yellow light waves) get refracted/reflected less then shorter wave lenghts (white light waves). This is only true if the object reflecting the light is extremely small. Fog particles are WAY to big to for this principle to actually work. So basicly the better fog light is the brightest light.
Nerd.

(Excellent recorrect of another nerd's opinion however. J/K Jon! :D )

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
That guy does bring up the fact the the human eye is more sensitive to yellow light. I don't know how much that actually helps though. Its really hard to test anything like this, it really all depends on the drivers preference.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Well I know in my experience the Silver Stars although "whiter" sucked in the rain for some reason (but they were coated etc and the colour seemed to blend well into wet pavement) making it look like you had no lights on from the drivers seat.

Eyes and the way we percieve colours are hardly 100% understood and each person is different, I say do what makes you feel safest/looks the best to you.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Bmarc said:
That guy does bring up the fact the the human eye is more sensitive to yellow light. I don't know how much that actually helps though. Its really hard to test anything like this, it really all depends on the drivers preference.
Actually they are most sensitive to green light. But since making the light yellow, blue or green generally means filtering out the other colors you almost always end up with less total light and poorer vision when you try to color the light.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Bmarc said:
Old wives tale.

I don't know men what you been smoking, but I know for fact from my experience that yellow fog lights are way better rain and fog. I have tried many types of bulbs for fogs on my 2001 Golf with OEM fog lights and non of the work best as 85W PHILIPS/ NARVA Rally Gold H3 bulbs. They have this gold yellow color that shines very well on wet road and fog. For my low beam I have Phillip BlueVision H7 bulbs and they are great in all weather. If you don't beleive me experement your self.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx4.htm

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/S-Yellow.pdf

I suggest that you consider the location of the fog lights as far more important than the color. Fog lights are generally located close to the ground. That is they will be away from the line of sight. That means they will reflect far less from the fog to the viewer than if they were directly in the same line of sight.

I saw this first hand with my Miata. The pop up headlamps put them right in the line of sight. Disabling them greatly reduced the kick back which was far worse than on any car I had before and allowed much better vision. At other times having the lights close to the line of sight was great because it increased the reflective effect of the painted lines on the road and road signs as well as eliminating shadows.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
(Quote Joe_Meenan)
Yes, I read danielstern lighting explanation. I agree with you about the location, but we are talking about MKIV that have fogs in headlights. Color does matter too, in different weather conditions. Like I said that I have tried many different bulbs and none of them worked good as current ones.