CR140 Stage 3

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Im not sure what the difference is between the flywheel weights. It uses feramic material and the other side uses organic & copper compound. I most likely dont give the synchros enough time when driving aggressively but I really didn't notice anything bad happening until it broke

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
How much mileage on these CR170 Set-ups?

Anymore pros or cons worth mentioning?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
How much mileage on these CR170 Set-ups?

Anymore pros or cons worth mentioning?
Do you mean FE or chassis mileage for reliability?
I just finished a large roadtrip. Best tank was 50.4mpg sticking to 72mph for most of it.. higher altitude. More average tanks were closer to 48.. similar speeds. Around town I manage 32-35.. but I'm not exactly hypermiling it either.

Cons: plan for flywheel too, can't use off-the-shelf version of 2micron's fuel system saver kit (when he starts selling them again), passing OBD checks for people in those states...

Golf tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Stage 3 here, if I hypermile it I'll get 55 mpg.Is there anyone in tristate want to meet up make some comparison pulls to see how the modifications are working for us?? Sunday is great for me.Stage 3 cars would be great.Was at the show and go at E-town Sunday and I trapped 96 mph,14.5 quarter mile spinning like crazy on stock conti's.3300 pounds on scale with me in it.Mike from 413 built the car.I have the Darkside Intercooler and there hard pipe kit/EGR race pipe.Full Rawtek exhaust.Tested 2 intakes at track and the stocker.There were 2 other TDI's there both stage 2 with mods.They trapped 90 mph running 15.5.LOVE my stage 3 car btw!

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Do you mean FE or chassis mileage for reliability?
I just finished a large roadtrip. Best tank was 50.4mpg sticking to 72mph for most of it.. higher altitude. More average tanks were closer to 48.. similar speeds. Around town I manage 32-35.. but I'm not exactly hypermiling it either.

Cons: plan for flywheel too, can't use off-the-shelf version of 2micron's fuel system saver kit (when he starts selling them again), passing OBD checks for people in those states...
Thanks I meant overall.

I have averaged in 48's mpg on road trips driving as economy minded as possible in JSW DSG. Also with summer aggressive tires but have not passed the 50 mark yet.

Also anxious to get the modified micron filter when and if available!

I noticed the DSG feels better if you keep the rpms high. If you're going to give it a lot of fuel at low rpm it seems like it to much torque being wasted and pressure on the DSG. If I drive aggressively I keep the rpms at least 3000.

I have about 22k on Stage III up and another 12k on Stage II.

O complaints!

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Stage 3 here, if I hypermile it I'll get 55 mpg.Is there anyone in tristate want to meet up make some comparison pulls to see how the modifications are working for us?? Sunday is great for me.Stage 3 cars would be great.Was at the show and go at E-town Sunday and I trapped 96 mph,14.5 quarter mile spinning like crazy on stock conti's.3300 pounds on scale with me in it.Mike from 413 built the car.I have the Darkside Intercooler and there hard pipe kit/EGR race pipe.Full Rawtek exhaust.Tested 2 intakes at track and the stocker.There were 2 other TDI's there both stage 2 with mods.They trapped 90 mph running 15.5.LOVE my stage 3 car btw!
I'm would like to meet up. Send me a pm. Those are some impressive numbers. I don't think the the JSW DSG would keep up with you, maybe I could just get you off the line.

I'm also running a Rawtek exhaust with a S3 IC and a custom dual exhaust & also EGR race pipe.(from Diesel Dubs Les)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...n-Modification-Thread&p=86411038#post86411038

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I'm on stock sized LRR tires. ~15k on the CR170 and tune. IC only went on recently.
That 50mpg tank is not normal for me. I think I've had 2 so far in 20k miles... but on trips I'm usually much closer to 47-48, sometimes even going as low as 44 if I have a nasty head wind. One thing I have noticed is that my best tanks always come at high altitude. Colorado, Canadian Rockies, etc. Not sure if this is a function of altitude adjustment in these tunes.. or if people notice the same trend when stock..

Golf tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
If there are any other locals to Long Island, we're going to meet up soon. Please join in!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That is essentially it, the 2 micron kit splits the fuel supply to the pump case and to the pump head, the pump head doesn't get enough flow when done this way to run Stage 3.

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
Correct pure flow kit will cause limp mode at high RMP due to fuel pressure deviation on Stage 3 (in my case it also happened with Stage 2 in 3rd gear manual DSG mode)

The contain kit works as I'm using in on my car with Stage 3.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
To me it looks like this has been answered, but just in case:

Stock fuel system is fine for stage 3, but apparently not much further.

Adding Contain Flow portion of 2Micron's kits will work fine with stage 3, but it doesn't protect some of the most expensive parts of the fuel system in the event of a pump failure (injectors, rail, FP control solenoid, FP sensor.)

Adding Pure Flow portion brings up the issues JFettig brought up. You'll have problems with stage 3, and sometimes stage 2. These problems include an inability of the car to maintain fuel rail pressure at higher RPMs, leading to lost power, CEL, limp mode, etc. I don't know if it actually damages the engine or fuel system.. I'm suspecting no. All it is throwing a code over is low rail pressure, not -no- rail pressure.

Last edited:

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Is it even worth upgrading to a stage III? For the price of the turbo, software from malone tuning, and installation cost. Any fuel increase from a stage II to a stage III? I know if I were to do it, it would be another $2000.00 invested. Was there a noticable difference once the upgrade was done.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i got my cr170 turbo off ebay for 430 bux shipped to my door from germany...an extra 30ish hp yah i think its worth it

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Is it even worth upgrading to a stage III? For the price of the turbo, software from malone tuning, and installation cost. Any fuel increase from a stage II to a stage III? I know if I were to do it, it would be another $2000.00 invested. Was there a noticable difference once the upgrade was done.
For me the upgrade was worth it. Stage III is similar to the difference between going from stock to Stage II. Gas mileage is almost the same as Stage II.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Open TDI Meet Up: We do have a small group meeting this Sunday 9:30am 10/26 at exit 51 Deer Park Ave at Starbucks on Long Island.
There will be Stage III, II's and stock TDI's.

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
used....very low mileage and has been looked at by 3 certified vw techs who say it looks very good.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup

While doing other work today I noticed this! 2012 Passat CKRA. Stock turbo was replaced under warranty by the dealer after failure. apparently there was debris leftover. this is turbo #2. No fault codes and no noticeable power loss yet after 30k miles. bearing feels ok and no grinding. Im going to look into the Passat turbo possibility mentioned earlier on. Anyone have any more info on that turbo as far as exhaust ports and cylinder head compatibility?

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
FOD for sure, someone at the dealer did not swap out the air filter or clean the breather system!