Sportwagen panoramic sunroof curtain busted

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Just curious if anyone's had to get their panoramic sunroof curtain replaced. Apparently, the adhesive on my curtain decided to come loose from the passenger side (and partially from the driver's side), so the spring got jammed in the rear. So then, when the mechanism felt that extra tension, it reversed and made the problem worse.

I'm just wondering if it'd be a better idea to get 5% tint (aka limo tint) and remove the fabric.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm just wondering if it'd be a better idea to get 5% tint (aka limo tint) and remove the fabric.
It would certainly be easier to tint the sunroof and probably cheaper as well.
There is also a company called "Heat Shield" that makes a insulated heat shield for the pano roof just like the ones you can put in your windshield. It is not as pretty as the factory shade, but it is far more effective. If you are interested in going this way, shoot me a PM. I have one from my JSW but I haven't started a for sale thread yet.

Have Fun!

Don

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I did exactly that. Fabric came off on both sides . Things got worse... cut the fabric out and tinted with a metallic base for extra heat resistance/reflection. worked perfectly. Have heard of car interior repair guys who can re-glue it fairly easily though. Replacing the shield and motor is involved but doable too.

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
I recently posted where did all the old technical threads go? Here is another one which was covered as well as the one on trunk latches. For people new to this site, they would never know how much material is out there, but hidden..why not unhide the technical stuff to be more user friendly?