Clutch Slave Cylinder Refuses to Bleed

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My clutch pedal has been feeling like there has been some air in the lines and while bleeding them I can't get the clutch master cylinder to draw any fluid from the reservoir. I unhooked the line from the slave cylinder and put it directly to a mityvac and it holds vacuum (as opposed to displacing the vacuum with brake fluid from the reservoir). I tried moving the pedal up and down (I have to manually pull up the pedal) and that doesn't do anything. Is there a reason why a master cylinder won't draw fluid from the reservoir? I tried reverse bleeding by pushing fluid from the slave cylinder into the master and it just pressurizes and doesn't actually flow any fluid into the master. It seems like no fluid will go in/out of the master cylinder and it's completely blocked.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Since you don't include pertinent information such as the year and chassis of the car I'll make a couple points.

VW's don't self fill easily. They definitely don't fill under vacuum.(especially MK5) You need a top side pressure fill. If its a MK4 you have a bad master. (likely) if you have a MK5 you need a pressure fill on the reservoir and COULD have a bad master.

jasonTDI

TDI
You can try pressure bleeding from the top but it's likely a bad master. Classic symptom when the pedal sticks to the floor.

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
New clutch master cylinder fixed it. It bled right away when it was replaced!

The strange thing is that I actually drove in to the garage with the old master but when I introduced air into the lines it absolutely refused to bleed. I think the cylinder itself was probably fine but something inside the cylinder was blocking the fresh fluid from being able to enter it.

jasonTDI

TDI
There is a reason I said you need a top brake res bleeder.

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Air was introduced when I changed the transmission. The problem was the master cylinder and everything works now. The old master cylinder was bad because it was blocking brake fluid from entering it.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I've bled dozens and dozens of dry vw mkiv and mkv clutch systems and never needed a top bleeder...the ones with a plastic bleeder screw do require unscrewing at least two full turns but the steel screw slaves only require cracking...I'm only using a mityvac and by the time the fluid gurgles into the cup the clutch is bled

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It also seems that any remaining amount of air anywhere in the system seems to bleed itself naturally over the next day or so.

I've bled dozens and dozens of dry vw mkiv and mkv clutch systems and never needed a top bleeder...the ones with a plastic bleeder screw do require unscrewing at least two full turns but the steel screw slaves only require cracking...I'm only using a mityvac and by the time the fluid gurgles into the cup the clutch is bled

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I just swapped out my leaky slave cylinder on my 04 jetta,and Mityvac bleed it. But it's strange on my way to work in the morning clutch and gear ingaugment is fine,but same drive home 10 hours later and gear ingaugment on 4th and 5th gets difficult. Once I pump the clutch a few times I can get a smoother gear ingaugement. I've rebleed with same results. Any ideas? It's nice not having brake fluid on my driveway,but now have this procedure is disappointing. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
First I've heard of swapping out both at the same time. I guess I can throw a master cylinder at it. But why would it feel fine on my drive into work,but then feel different on the way home? Thanks for the info!

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Well driving home yesterday the clutch pedal stayed down on the floor. Coast over to side of road,look under the hood and see brake fluid all over the place. Pull clutch pedal up and push in and fluid squirts all over,slave cylinder body has a crack in it near supply line! Lucky for AAA plus 100 mile tow. Just replace slave 3 weeks ago,time to call vendor and see what they say.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Got my new slave cylinder and going to R&R hopefully tomorrow. It came with a new O-ring and a rubber grommet. I know the O-ring goes on the hydraulic input line,but where does the rubber grommet go. I don't see it in the Bentley manual. Thanks

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Like a dust cap? I kind of thought the same,but the hole goes all the way thru. Thanks for the help.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks Coolairvw! I was going to look at my Bentley manual and check if it's for a 6 speed Trans.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Ha!....yeah...the thing pictured is the rubber seal that goes on the clutch line plastic adapter at the master cylinder end...if it's not on there you will never get it to bleed....sometimes they fall off or hang inside the master cylinder when removing the line....

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Strange that they would send the master cyl seal with the slave cylinder. I don't think the original poster would have removed the line from the master to change the slave.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Strange that they would send the master cyl seal with the slave cylinder. I don't think the original poster would have removed the line from the master to change the slave.
Thanks u guys! I only removed the hyd line at the slave cylinder,so I installed the new o-ring. I guess I'll save the other seal in case I swap out a new master cylinder. Now I can go ahead and finish this job and bleed the slave. Thanks for the help.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions! Finished up bleeding and took it for a spin. Clutch action is feeling better than ever! Thanks again!