2012 VW Jetta GLi review

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Volkswagen has versions of the EA113 2.0T with up to 272hp. And the Ecoboost 2.0 is a gas hog. In a comparison review including a Audi A4 2.0T quattro and a (FWD) Mondeo Ecoboost, the Mondeo got 11.1 l/100km, the A4 9.3 L/100km. The Mondeo was a lot slower too. (0-100 kph in 8.0s, Audi: 6.6s)

The only non-turbo car in the review, the BMW with a 3.0L inline six, got the best fuel economy: 8.2 l/100km. (Despite being rated the worst in the standard test cycle)

The comparison review is online here:
http://www.autozeitung.de/auto-vergleichstest/mittelklasse-neuer-volvo-s60-im-ersten-vergleich

I have read many reviews of 2.0 Ecoboost Fords since they came out in early 2010... not a single positive one.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I saw one today man it's sharp.If it came with a TDI sold.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
GLI

A GLI Passat would be interesting....
Yeah no kidding. And to think we had this engine in the B6 prior to the americanized Passat.

Can blame VW for shooting for sales though. Ultimately they're in the business of making money and the B6 was a slow seller for VW.

I wish though that the top engine was the 2.0T in maybe one of it's more powerful versions, rather than the gas hog 3.6 V6

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I test drove one a couple of weeks ago. It is so much different than my '09 DSG. The tuned exhaust note is a love it or hate it affair. Sounds like a WRX. The interior is nice, but still has hard surfaces on the door and some cabin pieces. All in all though, I love it and think it is and awesome value for 25k.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
2.0T is underrated it puts out close to 200whp and is a joy to drive. I disagree the VR6 is a gas hog, my R32 gets 26-27mpg without trying and I've seen as high as 31 if I hypermile it. By comparison my friends WRX on similar drive to work gets 24-25mpg. 3.6FSi motors got even better mpg than the 3.2.

With 4.25 a gallon diesel around most stations and 3.49 for premium, it makes no sense to buy a new TDi over a gasser. 2.0T will get 30-32mpg vs 40mpg of a TDi. FSi is proven motor, CR TDi isn't.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
2.0T is underrated it puts out close to 200whp and is a joy to drive. I disagree the VR6 is a gas hog, my R32 gets 26-27mpg without trying and I've seen as high as 31 if I hypermile it. By comparison my friends WRX on similar drive to work gets 24-25mpg. 3.6FSi motors got even better mpg than the 3.2.

With 4.25 a gallon diesel around most stations and 3.49 for premium, it makes no sense to buy a new TDi over a gasser. 2.0T will get 30-32mpg vs 40mpg of a TDi. FSi is proven motor, CR TDi isn't.
Well with my 2.0T I was getting close to 37 mpg highway (and I drive mostly highway) as opposed to over 50 mpg TDI.

The 2.0T burns PUG. Up here diesel is slightly less than RUG in summer, slightly more in winter. PUG is pretty expensive. Apart from the cost issue was the pleasure of being able to do my entire commute on one tank of fuel, with the attached time savings.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles

I have an 02 Bug, and I normally get 40-42 with about 60/40 split city/highway. On the other hand, my 1.8t got 28 with the same split. I know we are talking about the 2.0t, which I would love to replace the 1.8t Passat I have.

For me basically, per week:
(TDI) 400/40mpg = 10*$3.80 = $38.00
(1.8T) 400/28mpg = 14.286*3.37 = $48.15
A savings of $10 and some change. I realize I am not saving a lot; however, the diesel has a greater chance of reaching 250k+ over the 1.8t.

On straight highway the best i have gotten with the 1.8T is 33, while the TDI has gotten 49. I have not a lot of research on the CR design, but I have been tempted to get a JSW. Just my $0.02 worth.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Despite a tide of vitriolic ink that's risen around the 2012 Jetta, the model has seen an explosion of sales that's left plenty of critics tapping their microphones and asking, "Is this thing on?" If anything, the exercise has proven that when it comes to moving vehicles in the now fiercely-competitive compact segment, price is still king no matter what the critics say. So, when Volkswagen promised to satiate the model's longtime fans with a new GLI, the rank smell of skepticism came wafting through newsrooms across the country.
Ummm. This guy writes as if buyers are hanging on the every word of auto journalists. Sorry bub but I have a hard time adhering to someone's advice who regularly sings praises to $100k cars and cannot bring themselves to reviewing cars that 90% of the population can afford. It's fun to read about the newest Porsche and Ferrari's (and probably sells magazines) but it's hardly useful for the average consumer.

Personally, if I were in the market I'd just get a 4door GTI.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Greengeeker,
Wife has a 08 GTi 5door DSG and we drive that more than any car in our household. It drives great, it's civilized and quiet has great torque anywhere and makes my R32 feel old by comparison, and my B4 feels like an antique. What is great is that we replaced our 04 TSX with it and MPG is better than the TSX and the car is a huge step up in performance. Wife does miss few things the TSX had but she loves her lil red hatch. It's the GTi that keeps on teasing me to sell both the R32 and my B4 TDi and get a newer car, 335d can be had for 37k new here but with the new R coming out I can hold off till they are sitting on the lots with huge incentives like the last MKV did. I love the TSi/FSi motors, the new TDi on the other hand would have me worried every time I'm behind the wheel.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Here is a perfect example of a 2.0T which has put down more than its rated for at the crank AT the wheels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpvbENam0kQ
I will be surprised if Ford will put down more than 220whp. Ford in general over rates it's motors when it comes to power output. People are always talking about how can VW still sell the 2.0T with just 200HP when everyone is making more power. All you need is a simple APR chip, 235-245whp and about 290-310TQ depending on car with ZERO drivability issues for 500 bux.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Here is a Sonata Turbo with 274HP that everyone likes to compare to the Passat or GLi lately... Jetta is lighter, has a better motor and dsg is an excellent tranny vs Hyundais auto box. And you can get a manual tranny with the Jetta. So why is everyone so concerned with just "200hp".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ddxBDAGhKc

Korean horses are not as strong as German ones.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Brother purchased a GLI last night.

Drove it for a little while last night and fell in love with it. Feels like more then 200 hp engine, and more importantly the power matches the suspension perfectly. We both thought that as much as the APR tune sounded like a cheap price for an extra 40+ HP and 60+ ftlb, we where not sure it was needed, particularly since it bumps him from RUG to Prem.. Great car, and fantastic exhaust. Loved the noise it made when you got on it.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Now we need a Passat GLI with the 2.0T. I loved that engine in my B6 Passat. If I didn't have a 98 km commute each way, I'd have kept it and then replaced it likely with a GTI. It has TDI-like torque at a TDI-like 1800 rpm, but keeps it all the way up to peak power at just over 5000 rpm, and is much smoother. Plus, although it burns premium, driven gently it's capable of 37 mpg highway which isn't so shabby in a large wagon; the 70 liter tank gave me around 1000 km range on the highway.