Load ROUTE to VW NAV?

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I know the Car-Net app will send a destination or point-of-interest to the nav system, but can you upload a route? Google Maps is smarter about finding routes.

-mickey

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We have completely given up on the built-in nav unit in our '13 Passat. We use the RNS-510 for the hands-free phone and to play music, and that's it. We also use Google Maps, and also Waze, and are not looking back.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just like Rico567, I find doing a route on the built in GPS in my car a ROYAL PIA. I have even managed to install my own waypoints which I also use on my stand alone GARMIN GPS's.

I can do a route from Canada into Mexico on my GARMIN in about 15 minutes.
I can even set up a route on my laptop and then transfer it to my GARMIN.

Trying to do the same route in my car takes at least 1 1/2 hours.

The Nav unit in the car is supposed to be GARMIN based? If I haven't used the Nav in the car for a while it wants to know what "STATE" (Country) it is in. My stand alone GARMIN'S know exactly where they are every time I turn them on. Even if it hasn't been used in 2-3 months.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Minenever wants to know where it is, but prompts for state in Destination entry, since it isn't telepathic, and has no way to know where I am going. It saves the last state you set, so when travelling, you will likely need to reset for local destinations once you get to your overall destination.

I use mine instead of my Garmin . . . but habits vary. In all the years I have had a GPS, I have never felt the need to create a route . . . Just did 2700 miles or so, and with current maps, the RNS is dead on . . .

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Every fall I drive about 3,000 miles with a couple of route changes sometimes to Mexico and return, not always the same route in the spring either. I appreciate it when my Garmin tells me in which lane I should be in for my next highway change. The exits are not always on the right. Plus there are a number of cities where a few lane changes are necessary just to stay on my route. With my Garmin I get audible as well as visual clues.
The Garmin logs on to the satellite and it knows where it is no matter whether in Canada, the USA or Mexico, even when I took it to Europe it knew where it was. There it took a few extra minutes because of the large distance from N.A.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
??? My RNS does all that as well . . . And nothing can 'log on' to a satellite - it's a one way data path - they all see the same thing. And again, with the exception of retaining the State of my last destination, the RNS *always* knows where it is - look at the map and see for yourself!

I don't think the US map load included Europe, but then again, neither does my Garmin (in the truck that does not have an onboard nav, fwiw . . .).

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
We have completely given up on the built-in nav unit in our '13 Passat. We use the RNS-510 for the hands-free phone and to play music, and that's it. We also use Google Maps, and also Waze, and are not looking back.
Yup, Iv'e shouted that to the stars here and folks just get so but hurt when I tell them their in dash NAVI is just plain old lame.

If you have a smart phone with Google maps on it you already have a NAVI that is just so superior to a built in dash unit and it only cost you for data use.

Run Google maps on a tablet on your cell plan and be amazed.:cool: Now if I can find a good car mount for my tablet I will be in hog heaven.

My GD turned me on to WAZE and although I haven't used it much it does look like it might be even better than GM's.:cool:

Last edited:

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Like many others, I find the NAV less than stellar. It's OK for local addresses and attractions but totally inadequate for long distance tripping. So, on a just completed trip to Western KY for the eclipse, I used my Garmin nuvicam unit which is far more friendly and useful, especially when you need to find restaurants, etc. on the fly. Also, the nuvicam has the camera, voice commands, bluetooth, as well as lane change and collision warnings, which I turn on when I'm on freeways. I disabled bluetooth, as I prefer the NAV unit for phone.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Yup, Iv'e shouted that to the stars here and folks just get so but hurt when I tell them their in dash NAVI is just plain old lame.

If you have a smart phone with Google maps on it you already have a NAVI that is just so superior to a built in dash unit and it only cost you for data use.

Run Google maps on a tablet on your cell plan and be amazed.:cool: Now if I can find a good car mount for my tablet I will be in hog heaven.

My GD turned me on to WAZE and although I haven't used it much it does look like it might be even better than GM's.:cool:
And... Waze works with Android Auto now. Though not all the features are used, like the speed/speed limit display/warning.