Extended warranty question

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Everything I've read says that the VW extended warranty on "buybacks" applies only to emissions-related components.

My salesman absolutely insists that I have a 5 year, 60,000 miles BUMPER-TO-BUMPER "new car" warranty from VW, despite the vehicle being a previously titled buy-back. I pointed out what VW said in their paperwork, but he still disagrees.

What is the truth? It's an important point. If the bumper-to-bumper warranty started when the car was initially titled then it's 2 to 3 years old already. That's a "used car" by any standard. If it actually has a "new car warranty" then the 2500 miles that were on the clock don't bother me, especially considering it's a much better warranty than a new VW gasser.

-mickey

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Salesmen get to say anything they want (i am one...). An actual document is all that matters. No you are right and he is wrong.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Salesmen get to say anything they want (i am one...). An actual document is all that matters. No you are right and he is wrong.
If that is the case I may be talking to a lawyer. The salesman lied right off the bat when he told me the car had 2500 miles because "It was one of our demos." No, it was originally purchased in California. It was obviously a buy-back.

I love the car. But I feel like stirring up trouble. I'm willing to settle for $$$.

Next issue: 3 weeks later they still haven't paid off my Ford trade-in, and today Ford took a $630 payment out of my account. I'm assured that the VW dealer will be sending me a check. That will come directly out of their profits. Very sloppy business practices.

-mickey

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Everything I've read says that the VW extended warranty on "buybacks" applies only to emissions-related components.

My salesman absolutely insists that I have a 5 year, 60,000 miles BUMPER-TO-BUMPER "new car" warranty from VW, despite the vehicle being a previously titled buy-back. I pointed out what VW said in their paperwork, but he still disagrees.

What is the truth? It's an important point. If the bumper-to-bumper warranty started when the car was initially titled then it's 2 to 3 years old already. That's a "used car" by any standard. If it actually has a "new car warranty" then the 2500 miles that were on the clock don't bother me, especially considering it's a much better warranty than a new VW gasser.

-mickey

I think there are a couple things in play. There is the warranty from the settlement that covers most of the engine and emissions, and there is likely also a CPO warranty as part of the resale, which may well be 'bumper to bumper' . . . Having not bought a CPO, I don't know the details there, but it is a major distiction between CPO and just used.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
-mickey
If he wants to write "5-year, 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty" on your purchase agreement, great!

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Whatever I do I'd better hurry. The way I drive my 60K will be up next week anyway.

-mickey

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
In the grand scheme of things it is basically a new car, 2500 miles isnt going to do much for you and the important thing is the 120k mile warranty on the emissions components.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
2015 TDI warranty on repaired cars is incredible. It covers the entire exhaust aftertreatment system including: “The Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators.”

Perhaps more crucially (because many TDI owners have issues with these parts), it also covers the entire fuel system, “including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators.”

On top of that, the warranty applies to the EGR system, the turbocharger, the On-Board Diagnostic system, and a lot more.

And it’s a long warranty, too. VW says it spans defines the the greater of two options: 1) Your car reaches 11 years of age and 162,000 miles or 2) Five years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date and mileage of the phase 1 fix.
And, the best part of the warranty is the stated policy that if an item isn't covered by the warranty and the customer feels it should be, then VW is obliged to agree with the customer and repair it at no cost to the customer.

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Rustycat where did you get the warranty info? Is there some where I can get a copy of the warranty that applies to my 2015 Passat? Thanks for your help Lloyd

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Rustycat where did you get the warranty info? Is there some where I can get a copy of the warranty that applies to my 2015 Passat? Thanks for your help Lloyd
Lloyd, I'll work on giving you some links, but I'm on my second bottle of cab with a bbq''d steak and need to marshall my energies to give specific answers to your question.

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
rustycat: Thanks so very much for your help. Great help from all at the forum.

downtime

TDI
2014 Passat SE
Curious. I'm considering a 15 TDI Passat to replace my 01 TDI Jetta. Does it matter where the car is purchased? I'm seeing a lot of 15 Passat TDIs at used dealerships. I haven't seen any mention of this yet. I'd hate to spend 15k plus to get the TDI and get burned later