ahu from mk3 to B3

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Let me know if you uncover anymore cabin filter setups :)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My knowledge of the Corrado is almost zilch, but I would guess that it might take the B4 cabin filter or the Mk3 cabin filter. If I had to guess which to try first it would be the B4 but who knows. The Mk3 is the same as the Mk4 so who knows. To the best of my knowledge every B4 brought to the US got the cabin filter.

All I know is I would prefer to ride in a car that didn't have an AC evap that looked like this:

Steve

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
All I know is I would prefer to ride in a car that didn't have an AC evap that looked like this:

Steve
EXACTLY, I cleaned mine and fortunately is wasn't nearing that bad, mainly a lot of leaves.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Small update

Cylinder head is back from the shop all nice and refreshed. Will be working on the HL harness (including leveler motors, relay power and adding fender repeaters, front and rear fogs).

Windshield supplies ordered and on their way as well as relays and relay wiring pigtails for the HL harness.

Also back to reassembling the engine and mating the engine / trans together.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Corrado shares the 'foliage screen' with Mk2 so you'll have to source a cabin filter from a Mk2 (which is rare). Mk3/4 is different I think and I know that B4 is different from Mk3/4.

Don't know for sure but on Mk2 the cabin filter might have been an aftermarket Votex option.

Steve

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Corrado is very closely related to the Passat b3/b4 I'm planning to get one from GTItdi to confirm.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
The Corrado is very closely related to the Passat b3/b4 I'm planning to get one from GTItdi to confirm.
When? lol! I dug it up pretty much right when we were PMing back n forth about it! It's just chilling here on my desk for now :D

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When? lol! I dug it up pretty much right when we were PMing back n forth about it! It's just chilling here on my desk for now :D
I just notified my people to send you the payment ;)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Update

The electrics are all installed (for now) and I think mainly sorted. I finally got cluster power today after remembering that the engine ground at the round connector needed to be there...d'oh.

The only thing I don't know about at the moment is dash cluster illumination. I was working on the car in the drive today so I couldn't really tell if the cluster lights came on or not. I also could not tell if any of the switch lights were working or whether the dash light dimmer switch was working. Oh and since this car was originally AT and the TCM controlled the reverse lights I might have to wire in something to control reverse lights if it's not there. I won't know that until tomorrow.

What I do know is that I have a working cluster, interior courtesy lights, power windows, electric roof panel, electric mirrors and tail lights, which is enough for me to basically say that it's (mostly) all good.

Tomorrow I start back on the engine reassembly and then trans work and then the install.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You went with a B4 cluster?
Yes, seemed the most logical since the cluster is almost identical with the B3 and the intent here was to make it look like a factory install. I had originally toyed with the idea of going with the Mk3 cluster but scrapped that for the B4 type.

Cleaned up fusebox area (mostly).

This ends up being a big combo package, Mk3 engine harness (with adaptations for B4), B4 450 watt 3 speed cooling, B4 AC harness and components, B4 radio, B4 seatbelt setup and wiring and original B3 interior electrics (PW, locks, courtesy lights, heated seats, heated washer nozzles, power heated mirrors, power roof etc).

There wasn't any big difficulty getting it to integrate properly but a lot of the D harness connections were changed over in the B3 to connect to the B4 (Mk3) style junction blocks. That and I still don't know whether I have dash / switch illumination from the dimmer yet...today I'll know about that and figure out whether I have wiring for reverse lights (AT TCM controlled that before and that's gone).

Also, the car has complete MFA wiring too now and I tested the MFA cluster yesterday, which seems to be ok. It'll need to be sent in to have the changes for TDI done but it didn't have any typical B4 fits. I was able to cycle through the MFA readings, which were mostly non-existent since none of the sensors are hooked up except for the outside air temp.

Also I need to wire in for rear fog too...

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So the inside wiring job might be finished at least for the moment. I checked today and I have cluster and instrument lights. Also the switch lights all appear to work too. That should conclude the interior wiring situation until the engine / trans is installed although I kind of wanted to test the seat heater today but didn't feel like digging around in the corner to get the driver seat out.

Verified that brake lights are working, traced the reverse light circuit, should be ok to work with MT without any changes.

Also added this while I was doing electrical stuff.

None of the NA 16V cars got fog lights and they weren't wired for it either. Fishing the wire through the hatch was the worst part of it.

Also fixed the driver power window. When you put it up the glass would tilt a little in the channel. I noticed one bolt had been replaced and the marks from a couple bolts were not where they were originally so I refitted the regulator as close to the original markings as I could and that seems to have fixed it.

Steve

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've done that rear fog wiring on a Corrado before, YUCK!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I've done that rear fog wiring on a Corrado before, YUCK!
It's no fun, but I've found that a section of vacuum tubing from the central locking system works better than fish tapes or stiff wires. It's flexible enough in all directions yet stiff enough to push through restrictions some distance away.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Cylinder head reinstalled however I kind of goofed on the torque specs when I did it. I followed the makers specs but without really thinking about it I torqued it to ft lbs rather than NM. Reinz says 30, 60, 90 degree, 90 degree, Bentley says 40, 60, 90 degree, 90 degree. I followed Reinz because the packaging was at hand, but instead of 30 NM I torqued to 30 lb ft...etc.

I did the final 90 degree sequence this morning and didn't encounter any difficulty so I'm hoping that this little snafu won't result in any explosions.

At any rate I've started in on the reassembly although I'm short a few bits that I need to hunt down. I'm pretty happy to get on the downhill side of this, seems like it's been sitting around now for way too long.

Looking forward to the day the engine / trans get dropped into the car!

I also really need to clean my disaster of a garage!!

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Not much to update really.

new lifters and cam are in, filled the crankcase the plugged the turbo oil feed line and ran the oil pump with a drill and socket. I have oiling to the cylinder head as I expected so I'm happy about that.

Ready to mount intake / exhaust but I've been wondering about adding port for pyro sender in the exhaust while it's out. I'll just plug it for now, but think adding now would be easier than doing it later.

Made a trip to Wisconsin to get some much needed parts from this:

While I didn't find everything I wanted I got what I really needed and Andrew is a really great guy.

Particularly happy with this, now the wagon will be badged properly! Need to find another just as nice though, I need one for the front too, positioned just where the VR cars had one.

Like this, but substitute the TDI badge for the VR

Just about ready to pull the engine off the stand and mate it to the trans and drop it in the car.

Steve

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Definitely put a pyro probe in now! It's extremely hard to do later. You want the probe right in the center of the exhaust flow as close to the turbine inlet as possible.

I know you are talking about just drilling and putting a plug in but I'd really recommend getting a probe. It's hard to know exactly where it is going to end up if you're just trying to stab it in later. Even if you don't know what you want for a gauge you can get a probe, they are all k-type thermocouples.

I have an Auber Instrument probe, I'm quite happy with it. Aircraft Spruce is another good source, they have their "micro" probes. You want one that is small in diameter, no more than 1/8". Some probes are much thicker than that and have a very slow response time as a result.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Definitely put a pyro probe in now! It's extremely hard to do later. You want the probe right in the center of the exhaust flow as close to the turbine inlet as possible.

I know you are talking about just drilling and putting a plug in but I'd really recommend getting a probe. It's hard to know exactly where it is going to end up if you're just trying to stab it in later. Even if you don't know what you want for a gauge you can get a probe, they are all k-type thermocouples.

I have an Auber Instrument probe, I'm quite happy with it. Aircraft Spruce is another good source, they have their "micro" probes. You want one that is small in diameter, no more than 1/8". Some probes are much thicker than that and have a very slow response time as a result.
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take the time to do this before reinstall. I've checked out the posts in the Mk3/B4 forum for where people have installed them. I'll be looking at the exh manifold more closely today for that and getting a probe ordered.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I have their EGT probe running to my standalone VNT controller. I've got two of their gauges too that I'm using for oil temperature and oil pressure. They fit right between the radio and the heating controls on my Mk3.

Super awesome gauges. They're very programmable too, you can configure alarms and they have a relay output with configurable cut in and cut out. They can display in any unit of measurement to any number of decimal places too.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
When you tap the manifold for the EGT, make sure you know where everything goes on it. I did mine years ago and thought it was the perfect spot until I attached the turbo oil feed line. Now I have to remove that line to remove the probe. No big deal since it stays in place, but it's something to consider.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I love the functionality of the auber gauge, but mine has dropped most of its pixels on the LCD...I emailed them and they said they would discount a new one a bit but otherwise weren't much help

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I like the idea of installing the gauge in one of the blanks in the center dash. Unfortunately that was where I was intending to install a bracket to support the scangauge 2. I may have to reroute the scangauge to another location now.

Don't care for red or blue LED colors, amber is ok and green is probably the best. If pixel longevity is a problem though I might opt for more traditional gauge since I was considering a pod on the A pillar or some type of column clam shell attached gauge pod setup.

When you tap the manifold for the EGT, make sure you know where everything goes on it. I did mine years ago and thought it was the perfect spot until I attached the turbo oil feed line. Now I have to remove that line to remove the probe. No big deal since it stays in place, but it's something to consider.
That's not something I had thought of but you're right, it goes right over the area where I was most likely to install it. I'll reattach the turbo to see if there's a better location that gets it out from under the oil line.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nothing new really...I wish. I did manage to get the pyro probe installed but I want to go back and retap the hole slightly larger with the 1/8 npt tap so the fitting will sit down a little further.

I took a new job, it's time consuming and I'm on my feet walking all day. I probably put 30 miles in every day it's that bad. I'm getting used to it and being a runner I'm ok with it but it does wear you down and since I'm outside the heat can be no fun. By the time I get home I really knackered so I haven't been able to do much except try and keep up with yard maintenance on both places.

Also, the job is six days per week so I only get half of Saturday and all day Sunday to recuperate and get all my crap done before Monday gets here.

I will say though that I'm feeling less tired now than I was before so perhaps I'll be back at it pretty soon. I need to start spending my evenings over there working on this thing again.

Another problem is another 98 Mk3 TDI showed up at the local JY so I'm headed out there tomorrow to see if there's stuff I need. I stumbled upon it last Sunday about a half hour before the JY closed. I had gone in to visit with friends and when they got busy I took a stroll through the yard and there it was...and all of a sudden it was an emergency run back to the car to get a few tools to get the important stuff (like ECU, MAF etc). Tomorrow I'll see what's left and decide on how much I want to get...miles unknown but it was in an accident so it was likely a runner.

I also need to find time to get back to WI to pull the trans out of the Jetta pictured above. Ajaxstar's Jetta only had 180k miles on it and the one I got in Omaha had 283k miles and a totally burned flywheel so I'm less inclined to use the Omaha trans now even though I opened it up and it doesn't look bad. I would be more comfortable with the WI transmission at this point.

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ok, so I've been feeling very guilty about not working on the project but as I mentioned I've been pretty tired when I get home. And then I discovered another 98 Mk3 TDI at the local upull JY that I frequent so I've been out there again picking up some extra stuff that's kind of hard to come by around here. I was out there today but the rain rolled in pretty quickly so I was only able to snag the alternator, the cluster and the exhaust system forward mounting assembly before the downpour occurred.

Once I got back to the garage I started getting back into the project so there was some stuff accomplished today...yay!!

The pyrometer probe arrived last week, it was bigger than I expected. I had drilled and tapped the hole a week earlier in anticipation of it arriving.

Here's what it looks like installed, top and bottom views:

I had hoped that I could extend it in further but the probe would end up contacting the turbo flange so I pretty much just extended it in as far as shown. I was still worried about the probe being in the way but it ended up being in a good position.

After I got the probe installed I went to work finishing up the exhaust mani work and then the egr cooler and turbo charger went on. I'm still missing one of the egr cooler bolts...don't know where those rolled off to, I found two in other misc parts boxes but the third still eludes me at this point.

Almost time to take it off the stand and get the rest of it all bolted together. I need to go pickup the new trans and get the new bits installed on it and I think then it'll be time to drop it in the car.

Also, I'm seriously contemplating the Polo shifter box modification. I have access to a Mk4 shifter assembly / shift tower so as others have said now would be the time to do it since once the exhaust is installed it'll be a lot more difficult to do this.

I'll know more about that in the coming couple of weeks.

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nothing new to report except that another 98 Mk3 TDI came in to a local JY so in typical fashion I had to go get it. Car had 196k miles on it and the engine is now safe and at home. I had wanted the transmission too but the JY punched holes in the case to drain the fluid out....not the brightest bunch to be sure.

I'll still probably get, I can buy it for core price since it's ruined and to see whether the guts can be transferred to another 02A case (if I can find one).

Planning on another trip to WI next Saturday to get the transmission off Ajaxstar's old 97 Mk3 tdi. As I probably said before the trans from the Omaha B4 tdi had 283k miles on it and Ajaxstar's only has 180k so I'm more comfortable with that one. The Omaha trans will probably be looked over good before being considered for another project, I might even open it up.

Which brings up an interesting situation, a 2001 Eurovan VR6 has come up for sale locally, bad VR engine (broken chain), 150k chassis miles, and the owner has already sold the transmission so the carcass is ripe for a TDI conversion. Whether I have the fortitude to do it is another story....but there it is!! It's actually in pretty nice shape but the price is unknown at this point too.

I'll know more about the Eurovan tomorrow....

All for now

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Brief update:

Poor damaged trans purchased from the JY just because. I also got the engine wiring harness and other misc junk that might come in handy sometime.

Picked up a low mile trans from Ajaxstar in WI last Saturday. It needs to be cleaned up but I have a lot more confidence in this trans versus the one I got from Omaha, not that there's probably anything wrong with it but it was clear from the burned flywheel that someone had been driving it hard. At any rate I'll keep it around since it's all cleaned up.

I'm hoping to have the trans cleanup and seal replacement done early this week so I can get the engine / trans installed in the car and start getting stuff put back together.

Steve