www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Beetle 2012+

VW Beetle 2012+ Discussion area for the 2012+ Beetle TDI (sometimes call the New New Beetle) based on the PQ35 platform.

Old May 8th, 2013, 10:43   #16
forcedfedbug
Veteran Member
Default Man v. DSG

The dealer says they are the same as the differences is normally slight. 1-10% on a car that gets 40+ that equates to .4-4 mpg. A normal auto loses about 10-20% on the same car that equates to 4-8 mpg, a way bigger and noticeable difference. The dsg is 1. geared lower so the excelleration is better than a manual. 2. shifts a lot faster then normal auto's so is much closer to a manual shift(surpasses it if reprogramed to shift in the .04 sec it is capable of) 3. uses freewheeling tech when coasting allowing it to coast farther then a manual when using no gas to coast.
These changes make the auto get really close to the manual and under similar driving styles you may not notice the difference in mpg. However as stated several times the manual is 1. less sophisticated (fewer moving parts)2. geared higher
These differences may make the exelleration slower but allow it to get inherently better gas mileage if driven to get the most possible. This can be easily shown by all the VW press that shows all the tdi cars get the best milage (the cars shown are almost always manual driven by hypermilers) If the DSG could get better mileage VW would show those cars in the press.
Bottom line the manual gets better mileage but the difference is negligible in normal driving when driven by normal people.

Ron

forcedfedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:48   #17
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

WOOHOO!! Got 48.7MPG on weekend trip and 400 miles on the first half a tank. Too bad because the rest of the tank will be around town and kill the MPG.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:52   #18
JayT
Veteran Member

I'm averaging 36mpg combined highway and town. I have the DSG and I always use it in "manual" mode. I don't like it and would rather have a true standard...it seems as though I am always shifting the damn thing, especially downshifting as I slow down, trying to find the gear that will not lug the engine and provide me the greatest excelleration. perhaps some of my shifting woes are the result of having six gears. I rarely use 6th unless I am on the highway because I am eventually going to have to shift down two shift points to find excelleration in town driving.

The automatic is god awful to drive in. It just gets to 6th gear as fast as it can and then offers very little in the way of excelleration unless you tramp on it and force it to upshift. Sport mode is slightly better.

I'm dissapointed with the fuel mileage personally. I like the car though.
JayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:26   #19
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Only advise I can give you is, don't over think the DSG. Just let it do its thing and it will adapt some to your driving. 36MPG sound decent on a DSG with mixed driving. As is breaks in the MPG will get better.

And if it still bugs you, there are a few people who have had great success with "chipping" the DSG. I have been told it greatly improves the experience.

Jason

PS; I waited 4.5 months to get a manual while 6 DSG Beetles sat on the lot.

Last edited by SilverGhost; May 9th, 2013 at 09:49.
Old May 13th, 2013, 20:05   #20
baglenn

TDI(s): 2015 GLK 250

took a trip from Houston to Pensacola Florida in my 2013 vw tdi beetle dsg. on the way there I avg 41. on the way home avg 42. car now has 3800 miles. it should go up after being broken in
baglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:12   #21
Chuckwrd

On the last fillup on Saturday, we were right at 39.9 MPG. Wife drives the car daily to school, home, around town mostly in short 15 minute drives. Doesn't even get wamed up and have to shut it back down again. 13.0 gallons even and 518 miles. Speed isn't much over 50mph usually. Need to take it on a road trip and stretch it's legs a little.
Chuckwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:59   #22
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwrd View Post
Several dealers told me that the days of better mileage with a manual vs automatic are over for VW at least. Supposedly the DSG's get the same as the manuals do now-a-days and the only thing different is the upcharge for the auto tranny...Are they lieing to me?
Yes and no. EPA ratings are basically the same but the manuals are geared higher than the dsg. All of the models with manual are getting better real world mileage.
Old May 14th, 2013, 13:20   #23
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
I'm averaging 36mpg combined highway and town. I have the DSG and I always use it in "manual" mode. I don't like it and would rather have a true standard...it seems as though I am always shifting the damn thing, especially downshifting as I slow down, trying to find the gear that will not lug the engine and provide me the greatest excelleration. perhaps some of my shifting woes are the result of having six gears. I rarely use 6th unless I am on the highway because I am eventually going to have to shift down two shift points to find excelleration in town driving.

The automatic is god awful to drive in. It just gets to 6th gear as fast as it can and then offers very little in the way of excelleration unless you tramp on it and force it to upshift. Sport mode is slightly better.

I'm dissapointed with the fuel mileage personally. I like the car though.
Mileage will improve if you get out of the manual mode. The best economy is from the dsg shifting quickly to get up to sixth gear around 40 mpg. Yes, if you need more power, it will downshift, much like a traditional auto or that you currenlty do with a manual. I don't ahve any isues with power but then I came from a 2000 Beetle TDI with 90 hp and you're coming from a chipped diesel.
Old June 19th, 2013, 19:13   #24
79_Limited

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

36mpg here in mixed driving. DSG with about 3,000 miles on the odometer. Love the car.
Sold 2003 Jetta TDI auto 2008 VW New Beetle 1988 Porsche 911
79_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 22:21   #25
RedBug
Veteran Member

Greetings.

2013 Convertible w DSG
Getting 42 - 46mpg (based on miles and gallons, not trip computer, over 4 fill ups )

Economy does not seem to differ significantly with the top up or down. It gets worse when driving in rain or wet roads.

Rural commute 43 miles each way, computer average speed 37-40
Computer reports 50.1 mpg one way and 45.8 the other unless I get stuck out of sync with the lights.

Use cruse as much as possible and will tip DSG into N if I am loosing speed coasting down hills and back to D and cruse as soon as it levels out.
RedBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 13:49   #26
stembridge
Veteran Member

Just an update now that I have about 4,000 miles on my '13 Beetle TDi Convertible (manual)... I have a rural commute of about 40 minutes, mostly 55mph on farm and exurban roads. I made a trip to GA (16 hours each way) which netted my highest MPG on a single tank to date of 44.77mpg.

MPG - # Miles Traveled Between Fillups

39.02 - 517

36.86 - 387

40.14 - 466

40.17 - 424

44.77 - 586

41.18 - 500

41.82 - 534

42.73 - 507

You can see my MPG slowly creeping up (a trend which I hope continues). I'm following the break-in procedure listed elsewhere on the site.

es
1963 Type I Deluxe Sedan
stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 16:35   #27
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I check the MFI for mpg on my wife's Beetle every time we go somewhere and so far it seams to like 39 mpg. Not bad considering its all in town S Florida. (Google maps of her route)

Three hour trip to Orlando and back did net a 48.7 mpg tank, so I know there is potential. And this is leaps and bounds above the 225 miles to a tank in her 2.5 Jetta.

Jason

Last edited by SilverGhost; June 26th, 2013 at 16:42.
Old June 28th, 2013, 21:40   #28
flydiesel

TDI(s): 2013 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 33 local, 48 hwy avg

I've had my 13 Beetle Coupe for 2 weeks now, and last weekend took it on its first highway trip. I averaged 46.5mpg running between 65-70mph. The trip was 124 miles total, and the car now has 500 miles on it. I run Stanadyne Performance Formula and will do so as long as I own this car. I ran it in my '06 Jetta TDi and noticed better economy. I love the TDi and my Beetle..what a great combination!
flydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 13:10   #29
spacemonkeymafia
TDIClub Enthusiast

TDI(s): 2013 beetle!

I have had my 6-speed manual 2013 Beetle TDI for almost a year (I got one of the first three in the country). My mileage has been pretty consistent over that time, since pretty much all I do is drive from home to work and back (21-ish miles each way). Most of that time is on I-95 in the DC area, but I manage to avoid the worst of the stop-and-sometimes-go traffic due to an alternate work schedule. I do get some of it, but not every day. Therefore, I generally drive like a bat out of hell (70mph is about cruising speed on the highway here). Unless I do something abnormal, I generally fill up twice a month. (on paydays-nice how that works out!)

My average mpg for most tanks is 38-39.
My average for the drive TO work is 36-38.
My average for the drive FROM work is 46-48.
Going to and from the grocery store and other stuff just a few miles from home (with a million stop lights), the average usually drops to 30, or maybe a little less.

I travel at different times each day, with generally the same traffic each way. The only thing we (myself, VeeDubTDI, compu85, and others around here) have been able to come up with to explain the 10 mpg difference each way is that 95 slopes ever-so-gently downwards towards the southeast (where I live) as opposed to closer to the city (where I work). I still marvel that the difference is that great.

I know others may not be thrilled with their mileage, but with current prices, I am paying about $1.10 more a tank than I did to fill my previous cars (all gas Saturns, may they rest in pieces) and I get about 150-200 more miles to the same size tank. I’m ok with that.

Last edited by spacemonkeymafia; July 4th, 2013 at 13:12. Reason: formatting
spacemonkeymafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 13:59   #30
Spoolin'Jim

Fuel Economy: ~44mpg with winter blend, ~48mpg with summer

So far we've only filled it up twice. The first tank was just over 36mpg and the second was about the same. The wife drives it to work, which is only about 1 mile away, 4 days a week. She doesn't care about mileage, and it shows. Though, I don't think I will ever get the same out of this car as my 06 TDI Jetta with a 5 speed, it's okay though, because the Beetle sure is nice and fun =)
2016 GSW SEL 1.8T in Silk Blue
Spoolin'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote