www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old March 26th, 2018, 09:25   #1
ronlove

Default Motorcycle Oil?

Guy, I came across this article regarding Mercedes Benz's diesel Bluetec engine. But the writer, also, makes some interesting statements (including using motorcycle oil) that seem to apply to diesel engines across the board.

Some of the issues he described sounds like what's happened to my current Jetta's engine: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...43#post5393543

Just wondering if any of you came across this article and what were your thoughts? Here is the article: http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/
ronlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:30   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

That guy is a quack. I wouldn't waste any more time reading his rants.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 13:09   #3
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

I put diesel oil on my motorcycle.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 13:20   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That clown is a well known nut job. I would not place any merit in anything he says.

"Motorcycle oil" typically means a type of motor oil that can be both a lubricant for the engine AND a lubricant for the transmission that typically has wet clutches. So it is a bit of a specific blend that really does not apply to car engines. And I am pretty sure there are some motorcycles that do not have a common lubricant for both the engine and transmission.
Old March 26th, 2018, 17:49   #5
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That clown is a well known nut job. I would not place any merit in anything he says.
"Motorcycle oil" typically means a type of motor oil that can be both a lubricant for the engine AND a lubricant for the transmission that typically has wet clutches. So it is a bit of a specific blend that really does not apply to car engines. And I am pretty sure there are some motorcycles that do not have a common lubricant for both the engine and transmission.
Motorcycles that have seperate transmissions include the classic British bikes, big Harleys and 2-cyl BMW's, among many others.

Last edited by flee; March 26th, 2018 at 18:30.
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 18:31   #6
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

The spec that applies to Motorcycle oil is JASO - the same oil will work for the engine internals as well as clutch / transmission lubricration. Some of our popular oils have this in them as well - Shell Rotella T6 is one example.

Yes - I ride a motorcycle as well (1998 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie).
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 19:39   #7
KLXD
Veteran Member

Wow! T/C's glowing for an hour after shut down! I only skimmed that article but that caught my eye. That alone tells me the guy is fulla beans.

I thought this thread was going to be about adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 04:06   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
The spec that applies to Japanese Motorcycle oil is JASO - the same oil will work for the engine internals as well as clutch / transmission lubricration. Some of our popular oils have this in them as well - Shell Rotella T6 is one example.

Yes - I ride a motorcycle as well (1998 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie).
Fixed that for ya. Pretty sure Triumph, BMW, Harley Davidson, KTM, etc. don't care about any Japanese oil standards (Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO) ).
Old March 27th, 2018, 04:19   #9
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Thanks.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 08:32   #10
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

The Jaso standard is important in a bike that has a wet clutch. Most newer oils have friction reducers that poison the clutch and make it slip. I use rotella 15w-40 in my bike because of the Jaso standard and the shear factor is better than many other oils. If the transmission shares the same oil as the engine it will eventually shear down to the lowest viscosity listed on the jug. I use it because it is cheap like me and fits the bill in this case.

But I wondered off topic a little. Motorcycle oils are made to withstand air cooled temperatures and have better shear factor. They are wet clutch friendly and likely contain less friction reducers and more ash or other things that will clog a converter on a modern diesel. I would not recommend motorcycle oil in a diesel due to those factors, and the cost.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 20:20   #11
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

In my former 2002 TDI Jetta I used, a mixture of PowerService silver, 1 ounce of 2 Stroke motor oil and DieselKleen.
Having done that religiously I believe saved my engine many years ago when a gas jockey put gas in my car. It stopped on the highway in the middle of nowhere. Had the car towed and the tank emptied. Then refilled with Diesel. Engine was still 100% two years ago when I bought my Passat.
Btw: That was the last time I had someone else fill my tank. Except in Mexico where you do not fill yourself but I keep a close eye on the attendant.
Old March 29th, 2018, 17:40   #12
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq import repair View Post
I put diesel oil on my motorcycle.
I've been putting the oil IN the motorcycle instead of ON it. Been easier to stay on the seat that way.
I use the same DelVac 1 5w-40 as the TDI. Both the Kawasaki Concours 1000 and the Honda ST1300 seem to get along great on it. No clutch slippage.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment

Last edited by jettawreck; March 29th, 2018 at 17:44.
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:59   #13
jmodge
Veteran Member

I read those articles a while back, sounds like he has a bone to chew with Mercedes and the US government oil mandates. One thing I found interesting, I believe it was Noacktivity factor[by memory, something like that]. It measures when or how much oil vapors off. Which seems relative to turboed engines that heat the oil. Oil vaporizing in a turbo or "steaming" and causing high crankcase pressures sounds like something to avoid. It shows up on the oil Material Data Sheets, but not safety data. He said, I beieve, 5% or better was good. Anybody else familiar with that?
Old March 31st, 2018, 10:01   #14
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Funny he talks about Ford releasing a TSB on the use of CK-4 oils was not recommended and how garbage the oil spec is, every other diesel manufacturer hasn't had a problem with the spec.maybe Ford should stop manufacturing garbage.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote