Jetta Tail Light Bulbs

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I just had the first light bulb failure in the Jetta, the left tail light. The old bulb is 5 watts. I put a replacement in I had in the "bulb bin", a collection of auto lamps I collected over the years. I think it was marked T-87. I also have a T-67. I can not find specs on these bulbs, even doing a Google search. What is the voltage and wattage of the T-87 and -67? I may have some 6-volt bulbs thrown in the "bulb bin" since I owned a couple of pre-1967 VWs. The bulb I put in appears slightly brighter than the original (as compared to the right side tail light).

One odd thing I noticed when I consulted a Bentley manual (for a 1999-2002 Golf/Jetta) is that the tail light bulb for the Jetta is 5 watts and the tail light bulb for the Golf is 10 Watts, both having the same bulb envelope. Why the double wattage for the Golf? I wonder if I could use the 10 watt bulb in the Jetta for added visability.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
A Sylvania bulb chart I found on the internet indicated the A4 Jetta took the 5007 bulb (like indicated in the picture in the previous post) and the A4 Golf took a 5008 bulb for the tail light. That must be the 5 W and 10 W small globe lamps. I still wonder why the Golf takes a tail light bulb with twice the wattage of the Jetta. Heat issue maybe?

--Nate

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
that sounds correct: Jetta gets R5W, Golf needs R10W

...don't know the reason for the different bulb.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
PDJetta said:
I wonder if I could use the 10 watt bulb in the Jetta for added visability.
None of the parts in that assembly seem very substantial. And at this time of year the taillights are illuminated more of the time.