Bizarre Question

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
Hi All,
I have a strange question. I am wondering if I can reconnect the ASV solenoid to a pre-existing boost fitting on my lower intercooler pipe. The ASV has been disengaged for years after an EGR delete. I made the poor decision of installing a boost fitting on my lower intercooler pipe since I did not have a racepipe at the time. Is it possible to connect the ASV to this boost fitting or is this not possible? Or will this cause me issues? Would be nice to get rid of the rough shutdown of the car.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The ASV diaphragm works on vacuum, not boost.
I do not see why you couldn't re-connect it to it's solenoid. (number evades me at the moment) :)

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
Sorry I wrote lower intercooler pipe but meant upper intercooler pipe. I would like to reconnect the ASV to a pre-existing boost fitting on my upper intercooler pipe.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
The intake tract on a TDI engine doesn't normally experience vacuum. So the ASV would never activate, if you connected it like that.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Sorry I wrote lower intercooler pipe but meant upper intercooler pipe. I would like to reconnect the ASV to a pre-existing boost fitting on my upper intercooler pipe.
The ASV needs vacuum to close.
There's no vacuum in either pipe.
You need to hook it up to the vacuum solenoid to activate it at shutdown and that solenoid had to get vacuum from the vacuum pump that operates the brake booster.
There's also a vacuum reservoir that's and check valve that's needed for it to work correctly.
There are pictures of the hose routing here, have to search for it.
There use to be one link showing different scenarios s/a only having the ASV without the EGR.
Many pictures were lost when one external free picture site decided to charge big $$$ for the service. :(