4 door mkiv golf did curtain air bag seat airbag and module replacement

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I found a 4 door gas golf that I can take the airbags off of and the module. Where and how do I do this?

And is a manual gasser axle 2.0 same as the stock tdi on the front right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You should be able to verify via one of the on-line databases. I used the one through 1stvwparts.com.

I was going to pull the airbag module out of a parts car that I had had but found it to be a big pain so I bailed: didn't really need it, just was thinking I'd grab it. My cars are 2000s (including the parts car I had); these don't have the A-pillar airbags- no idea what it takes to R&R these, though I wouldn't expect them to be too bad. Just make sure you have power off for a good 1/2 hour or so: doing this has worked fine for me- no explosions!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
To the right of the accelerator pedal on the hump. It's held in with 3 or 4 cap nuts and electrical connector.
I had to Change one on my daughters car I bought that had an air bag deployment.
Make sure it is an exact p/n and mod/ level as the one your pulling out.
I ordered on on line and learned the hard way.

Btw why are you taken airbags off doner car? If you had an accident and blew some of your bags you will also have to change what ever seat belt that was in use at the time as it's blown.

They are not hard to change, at least the pass dash, drivers airbag and drivers seatbelt, which is what I had to do alone with air bag computer.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I found a car at a wrecking yard that has most of what I need. If it is a bad idea to get from it then I won't. But the car is there from I assume a bad engine as it was NOT crashed. I checked my seat belts and they retract properly which is what I read to check for. Is there anything else to look at? I am finding I will need to plug into the car to see what sesors to replace.

Can anything be done with the seat airbag? I car get one out of a cloth seat. I would like to keep the leather power heated seats.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Did the leather one blow?
If it did the leather is trashed.
If not ,seat one is good no need to change.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can bolt a new one in there but the leather is split from the air bag going off.