Cup holder fell off in New Beetle

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have a 2003 New Beetle. The console cup holder came off with a small gear falling out of it as well. Is it possible to repair this and replace it? I can't see how it is actually held in there. Surely not just that tiny gear.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
The gear holds the slider in place on a cog track on the bottom of the slider. Without the gear the cupholder may slide free when pulling some g's on a turn. Overall it will work without the gear in place.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It doesn't hold at all without the gear. Just sits there and any movement or adjustment will make it fall off. Let alone a drink actually in it. The gear is on a small black piece of plastic. Any idea on how it may go back or fit in the first place?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
It doesn't hold at all without the gear. Just sits there and any movement or adjustment will make it fall off. Let alone a drink actually in it. The gear is on a small black piece of plastic. Any idea on how it may go back or fit in the first place?
It shouldn't over run the stop and come clear off. Must be something else broke besides the gear. I can't tell you how those gear pieces go back together. I've never tried to get one back together after they came apart.

If it is a gray one. I probably have a good one. PM me if you want one.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Are these any relation to the in-dash cup holders that were in earlier Jettas and Golfs? I am messing around with one (gutting it) to make a USB docking station for my phone- I am a bit familiar with the guts of these ones.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I doubt it. This is a complete 2 cup unit about a half a shoebox in size.

Here is where it sits. Notice the toothed track.

This is the top of the cup holder unit.

This is the bottom with the little gear that fits in the bottom some how and engages the track.

Last edited: