Short in left rear daytime running light

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Beetle TDI pd
Hey all,

So, about a two months ago, when I would put on my left turn signal, It would go at twice the rate as normal, so I figured it must have been a blown turn signal bulb...but it was not. It was the rear daytime running bulb. So my first question is; Why does my turn signal go 2x as fast when the daytime on the rear is burnt out?

Second, I tried changing the bulb and that worked for about two weeks and than the bulb blew again. Now, as soon as I change it, the bulb blows. I have a short somewhere. I tried to trace the wire as far as I could without pulling out the carpet... made it about 3 ft and than it became to much work for that day. I would rather run a new wire from the source than try and trace it to find the break. Where should I tap into, so I get the daytime running on the left rear, but also draw on the power so that my left turn signal stops flashing at 2x speed?

Thanks

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
"I figured it must have been a blown turn signal bulb...but it was not."

"
I tried changing the bulb and that worked for about two weeks and than the bulb blew again"

I'm confused, was the first instance a blown bulb or not?

Fast blinking is likely from a bad ground. I recently had to pry out the ground (metal sides) of a rear tail light socket on the wife's car after hers was doing the rapid blinking routine (I'd already pried up the positive contact, and while that last a little while it was not what was the real issue- it only worked because by reinserting the bulb I'd reestablished the existing flaky ground).

If you're blowing bulbs then you have a short, and you're going to have to track it down.

realslimshaver

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta gls tdi
there is no rear daytime running light. the only daytime running lights on a stock 2004 canadian jetta should be the headlights at about 95% brightness. unless u or a previous owner has changed somthing

i know the centre high mount stop lamp will sometimes light up dimm all the time if both your brake lamps are burnt out.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Yeah, I just ignored/dismissed the "rear daytime running light" and figured it was an issue of just the tail lights being on (with the switch).

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Beetle TDI pd
"
I tried changing the bulb and that worked for about two weeks and than the bulb blew again"
I'm confused, was the first instance a blown bulb or not?
Fast blinking is likely from a bad ground. I recently had to pry out the ground (metal sides) of a rear tail light socket on the wife's car after hers was doing the rapid blinking routine (I'd already pried up the positive contact, and while that last a little while it was not what was the real issue- it only worked because by reinserting the bulb I'd reestablished the existing flaky ground).
If you're blowing bulbs then you have a short, and you're going to have to track it down.
-
What I mean here is that when I was driving the car and I put on my left turn signal it would flash at 2x speed, so I figured it must just be a blown turn signal bulb. It was not a blown turn signal bulb, but a burnt out bulb in my left rear tail light. I misnamed it when I called it my rear daytime running light. To be clear its the lower bulb in the main tail light housing. That light also feeds the small rectangular one on that side of the bumper, and that bulb will not illuminate also.
My question of why the turn signal would blink at twice the rate when the tail light is burnt out is because my guess is one of these two lights provides power to the other and now that there is less draw on that power source, the turn signal is getting twice the power. This just seems odd to me though, because I thought most tail lights and turn signals were wired independently of each other.
It does seem like I have a short, but instead of tracing the wire, If I were able to know where the wires originate from I could just cut in there and than run new wiring all the way back. I could route it whatever way was the easiest, and just save the hassle of pulling up all the carpeting.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My right side rear tail and front parking lights were both out due to a blown fuse #22, the mini 5amp. The front and rear are on the same circuit. The culprit was in the rear module or assembly that holds all the bulbs. There was corrosion surrounding the tail bulb socket which I wire brushed off and sprayed with DeOxit as the cure. The top brake LED bulb also showed signs of moisture damage; so I replaced it.