New Beetle front seats retro fit to GTI Seats

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Beetle TDI pd
Hey all,

So I have an 04 TDI GLS Beetle, and I would like to do a front seat swap as I have a bad lower back and hips. I've never actually sat in an MK4 GTI but from what I see in pics, I think the additional side bolstering would be great for me. First, how do GTI seats fit? I'm tall and slender, so I need something narrow. If I did do this swap, is there any way I could not loose the side impact airbags? I've head something about different codes in the seats not communicating with the abs module or something?

A vw graveyard has mk3 gti seats for cheap. How do these seats compare in quality to the MK4 seats. Is there a way to change the mounting plates from my MK4 to the MK3's relatively easily... I weld, but I dont want to get into something that wouldn't just be worth spending an extra 100$ and getting something that is straight plug and play.

Any other seat recommendations given what I'm looking for?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I think that you'd likely have issues with the airbag controller and MKIII seats.

I've done MKIV year-mistmatch seat swaps. Changing out the airbag connector on seats is sufficient to deal with issues. '04 shouldn't present any other issues for any MKIV seat swapping (other than actual frame fitment).

Vortex is likely the best place for checking on seat swap combos.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Hey all,
So I have an 04 TDI GLS Beetle, and I would like to do a front seat swap as I have a bad lower back and hips. I've never actually sat in an MK4 GTI but from what I see in pics, I think the additional side bolstering would be great for me. First, how do GTI seats fit? I'm tall and slender, so I need something narrow. If I did do this swap, is there any way I could not loose the side impact airbags? I've head something about different codes in the seats not communicating with the abs module or something?
A vw graveyard has mk3 gti seats for cheap. How do these seats compare in quality to the MK4 seats. Is there a way to change the mounting plates from my MK4 to the MK3's relatively easily... I weld, but I dont want to get into something that wouldn't just be worth spending an extra 100$ and getting something that is straight plug and play.
Any other seat recommendations given what I'm looking for?
As mentioned, look for MKIV, preferably of similar year to avoid air bag connector hassle.

As for other options, I've actually put 2004 NB high square booster seats in my Jetta. I'll try to find a pic or 2. They're pretty comfy.