Fresh undercoating removal tips

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
So... just picked up a new f350. Sent it over to get the bed lined and I goordered talked into an undercoating with the rust replacement guarantee. I really didn't care about rust but like the way the undercoating deadens sound.

I pick it up yesterday and they undercoated some a few parts that I would have preferred to be left the factory gloss finish. I now have a Matt finish on my hitch and control arms for
The front axle. Call me what you will but I got the chrome package on the truck and Matt doesn't jive real well with a chrome bumper. IMO. Any suggestions what to use to remove without jacking up the paint beneath the undercoating. Was thinking if soaking the heck out of it with goo be gone and hitting it with a steam cleaner.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
So I tried a few things with pretty good success. I used goo be gone. That did pretty well. Then I tried wd40. That actually worked a lot better. Just turns the undercoating into goo. Then blast off with a steam cleaner. Super easy. On the painted surfaces I used a plastic putty knife. As soon as you are able to catch an edge it blasts it right off too. The wd40 and a Scotch pad worked great where they shot the undercoating all over the heads. After cleanup, all is well. Hopefully his helps someone else in the future. Have fun!

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
I never thought that wd40 can remove the undercoating. Thanks for sharing.