AHU to ALH Pedal. How To

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
I searched high and low for how to do this and came up empty handed. I just successfully swapped pedals and thought I'd write up what I did and how. It's really simple.

Basically you want to pay attention to the colors of the wires more than the numbers on the plugs. 5 out of the 6 wires are identical in color, and the two that are different colors on each plug, go together. Imagine that!:D VW's consistency comes in handy again.

Without further ado, here it is:

First the ahu, plug one side and the other

And the alh plug

We'll work with the ALH plug because that's what you're installing (presumably).

Alh pins: Ahu pins:
Number 1 (grey/white) goes to 5 (green/white)
Number 2 (yellow/green) goes to 2 (yellow/green)
Number 3 (gray/red) goes to 3 (gray/red)
Number 4 (white/blue) goes to 1 (white/blue)
Number 5 (gray/blue) goes to 4 (gray blue)
Number 6 (brown/blue) goes to 6 (brown/blue)

Enjoy,

Andrew

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Good write up! I did a similar swap/write up too. Mine was 1.8t gas pedeal to alh though. It's also good to look at the circuit boards and make sure they are the same

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
Well post a link to yours! Can't have too many pedal options ;).

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
don't forget to wire in the JSP sprint boosters ;)

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
When doing obscure swaps-- rabbits, vanagons, American made cars, etc-- you need a place to put the tdi pedal. Often an ahu (I've used an Afn (very similar to an ahu) a lot because that's what Frans has and they're easy to use and work on), an ahu has an unwieldy pedal. Big goofy sensor on top that has to be positioned just right and takes up a lot of space.
An alh pedal on the other hand, fits anywhere. Lots of cramped spaces in rabbits/caddy's. Alh pedal is a million easier to use, but it doesn't just plug into the ahu harness plug for the pedal. This makes it possible and easy.

mroth911

TDI
2000 1.9
Quick question I am trying to find info out. I have an alh mk4 with 154000 .. recently changed injector pump, timing belt, water pump . fan control module, Expansion valve ambient temp sensor. ac compressor. and alot more parts. I am having problem with the tranny now it's an automatic. Should i convert it over to Standard.. Or get another automatic or cut my losses ?

Matthew

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Weird that it was a difficult find, I had it in the sticky thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5182138-AHU-DBW-pedal...can-I-use-a-mk4-DBW-pedal-instead

well I just jumped in last night and figured it all out. After a few mods to the pedal itself, VAGCOM registered the pedal and showed 0 to 100%.

Anyway...perhaps this may help someone somewhere...here is how to do it. Cut the pig-tail off the factory mk3 DBW unit. Find a donor mk4 pedal and cut the pigtail from the harness. My donor was an 01 Jetta 1.8t.

So with the two pigtails in front of you, wire like so.

mk4 pin # (color) -> mk3 pin # (color)
1 - Gray/white -> 5 - Green
2 - Yellow/green -> 2 - Pink
3 - Grey/Red -> 3 - Brown
4 - White/Blue -> 1 - White
5 - Grey/Blue -> 4 - Grey
6 - Brown/Blue -> 6 - Yellow.

After I turned on vagcom I noticed that the pedal registered no lower than 7.5% even when adjusted to the lowest setting. I had to modify the housing on the mk4 pedal slightly to allow the potentiometer to go down to 0.0% After that the pedal showed smooth movement through vagcom.

In the picture below you can see the massive and antiquated mk3 DBW pedal. It looks much worse that this before you cut all the metal away. On the right you see the mk4 pedal. Much nicer package. Above you can see the mk3 to mk4 plug and play harness. The left side was cut from the mk3 DBW unit and will plug right into the car. On the right of the harness is the pigtail from any DBW mk4.

Hope this helps.

Jason

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Has anybody used a B4/Mk3 pedal on an ALH or other mk4 DBW car?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Backwards as in following the same wiring color map, yes or at least in my mind its that simple. I just want to verify its been done. I know somebody who tried it on a mk4 gasser and its not working.

Or backwards in the sense of why use an older style pedal on a newer engine? yes but it fits better.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I was thinking the latter. Not understanding how a bulkier pedal assembly fits your application better.

Jason, had proved the A4 gasser pedal worked in the diesel A3, with slight modification. I'm wondering if there's something that isn't backwards compatible.

-Todd

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Has anybody used a B4/Mk3 pedal on an ALH or other mk4 DBW car?

I have. Or should I say I have it wired in. On the 914 I am building I found it was easier to use the AHU throttle pot for mechanical reasons. I haven't run the engine with it, but it all checks out in vagcom so I think I'm good

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have. Or should I say I have it wired in. On the 914 I am building I found it was easier to use the AHU throttle pot for mechanical reasons. I haven't run the engine with it, but it all checks out in vagcom so I think I'm good
How far away are you from firing it up? Sounds like a fun swap.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI

Please tell me you have a build thread. I'm putting a diesel in my Porsche too.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
How far away are you from firing it up? Sounds like a fun swap.
How far??? bout 2 feet...just cant seem to get there...let's see, there is the ABS issue on the mk4 tdi wagon...need to put a wheel bearing in the golf...the eurovan swap...the audi swap...what honey...new fence?? the pool what...
You get the picture.

I started a build thread on the 914, it just seems everytime I want to post pics...I forget how. Was thinking the other day, might do a video and post a link to it...anyway..

Alh, dynod in the car I stole it from at 168 hp/300 + tq. 01a ctn trans, 03 management mated to c2 fuse box. 17/22, 11 mm pump,Oh and the motor is transverse

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
My son's 1991 Jetta Coupe with an ALH and a Passat B4 pedal assembly is an example of this.

MK3 = T6/5 MK4 = T6/1
MK3 = T6/2 MK4 = T6/2
MK3 = T6/3 MK4 = T6/3
MK3 = T6/1 MK4 = T6/4
MK3 = T6/4 MK4 = T6/5
MK3 = T6/6 MK4 = T6/6

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How far??? bout 2 feet...just cant seem to get there...let's see, there is the ABS issue on the mk4 tdi wagon...need to put a wheel bearing in the golf...the eurovan swap...the audi swap...what honey...new fence?? the pool what...
You get the picture.
I started a build thread on the 914, it just seems everytime I want to post pics...I forget how. Was thinking the other day, might do a video and post a link to it...anyway..
Alh, dynod in the car I stole it from at 168 hp/300 + tq. 01a ctn trans, 03 management mated to c2 fuse box. 17/22, 11 mm pump,Oh and the motor is transverse
I know that feeling. One of the Facebook guys was asking me why I wasn't finished already, complaining how long my swap is taking and alls I replied back with was "priorities". I'm no longer a kid and have a child, wife, house, work, daily drivers and so on.

My son's 1991 Jetta Coupe with an ALH and a Passat B4 pedal assembly is an example of this.
MK3 = T6/5 MK4 = T6/1
MK3 = T6/2 MK4 = T6/2
MK3 = T6/3 MK4 = T6/3
MK3 = T6/1 MK4 = T6/4
MK3 = T6/4 MK4 = T6/5
MK3 = T6/6 MK4 = T6/6
Yeah that confirms that I thought it was possible to at least use a mk3 with a mk4 tdi. Maybe is the Mk3 diesel versus a mk4 gas pedal tuning issue.

I'm hoping I can use a B4 TDI pedal with a 2007 touareg 3.6 ECU. If not I have both a Mk4 gas pedal and a Touareg pedal read to bolt in with the S&P adapter.

My question came up because a guy on the vortex with a Corrado had issues using a B4 TDI pedal with a MK4 20V swap and it works ok with the mk4 gas pedal.

Thanks

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
You can use a MK3 on a MK4/5/6/7 and vice versa. Makes no difference if you have a automatic or a manual pedal - even those there are different PNs for both.

You can not use a OTTO pedal in place of a DIESEL pedal and vice versa.

I have not dug into the exact electrical differences between OTTO and DIESEL other than the fact I know they aren't interchangeable. So a 3.6L gasoline pedal won't work on the TDI engine.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is a comparison of the Ohm readings from the Mk3 pedal and my Touareg and Mk4 Gasser pedal. It would be interesting to see what the Mk4 TDI pedal Ohms look like.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Hello,

Awesome resource thank you for keeping it up ;-)

I'm looking for the pinout of the BEW throttle for a stand alone application. Pedal part number is 1j1721503H and the date says 99.

So far I have:

pin2 GND
pin3 5V
Pin 4 Signal

Does that seem correct? I got that from Facebook but would rather have a more pro confirmation.

Thanks

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello,

Awesome resource thank you for keeping it up ;-)

I'm looking for the pinout of the BEW throttle for a stand alone application. Pedal part number is 1j1721503H and the date says 99.

So far I have:

pin2 GND
pin3 5V
Pin 4 Signal

Does that seem correct? I got that from Facebook but would rather have a more pro confirmation.

Thanks
The BEW wasn't a 1999 engine option. The USA's TDI engine options in 1998-1999.5 AHU and ALH which had an injector pump. THE BEW didn't come out for several years. Take a picture of the BEW's F60/F8/G79 circuit in the Bentley manual.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Thanks for your reply. We don't have the service manual or Bentley.

Do you mind helping us out with that one?

Thx

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for your reply. We don't have the service manual or Bentley.
Do you mind helping us out with that one?
Thx
I can't help you. do some research and find the engine's schematics. There are lots of things posted here on the TDIclub and the TDIclub photo gallery. I normally don't hangout on the TDIclub much anymore because I don't have a TDI anymore.