Winpower Chinese HID headlights

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just received my Winpower Headlights. They are Angeleyes, LED DRL's projector lights and use a D2H Bi-Xenon bulb and a H1 bulb.
Very fast delivery from China at 10 days from ordering.

Does anyone know if I have to get into the "Central Electric 09" using VCDS and set this for, if I recall "Shutter headlights?

The lights are pretty well plug and play. Same connector as the original headlights have and in addition a ballast to mount and ONE ground wire to connect.

I've also bought a set of LED tail lights but those will take me a while to install since some creative wiring is going to be necessary. My tail lights are not the same as an install thread from a few years ago is. These came in 12 days from ordering.

Thanks

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Don't believe aftermarket lights like these need any coding as they don't have the full functionality as OEM and prob the stock wiring for the car prob can't support it either.

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you Dave TC, this is exactly the information I was looking for along with the links which I also followed to the VCDS settings.

The lights they originally were talking about were H7 which is just a fancier looking light. Then people decided they wanted HID.

My set already came with the HID D2H bulbs installed complete with CANBUS igniters. The lights also have a H1 bulb installed.

One poster said he needed the front bumper removed???? I have had my OEM lights out twice already for bulb updates and have never ever removed the bumper.

Of course one of the first things I did was to look under the BIG rotating covers. I'm glad I did because they were hard as hell to remove. I applied some DOW Corning silicon valve seal to the moving surfaces to make them easier to remove if I ever have to once in place. DOW Corning valve seal is designed to work with HIGH pressure steam valves, so the itty bitty heat from the lamps will not make it melt down.

Again thanks for digging this positive thread up, I do appreciate it.:D
RM

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
You're welcome. I did not have to remove the bumper, but I removed the grill. Maybe that isn't even needed. The grill snaps into place at the bottom and I broke a few of the locking tabs. But, the grill stays in place.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I'm not a fan of HID low beams unless I can also have massively bright high beams. I find that the "puddle" of intensely bright light right in front of the car reduces my ability to see far down the road.

Bummer there isn't a Porsche-style "bi-xenon" solution, but that would be some hardcore engineering for the aftermarket.

-mickey

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't believe aftermarket lights like these need any coding as they don't have the full functionality as OEM and prob the stock wiring for the car prob can't support it either.
Well you are wrong !!!!

The Winpower headlights are plug and play.
Low beam comes on with a D2H bulb. High beam with a H1 bulb. LED AngelEyes and a LED DRL strip above the lights come on together and the LED turn signals are sequential.

Just installed them today. Remove grill and old headlights, install new headlights, install and ground supplied CanBus ballasts, re-install grill. Total time 2 1/2 hours.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For some reason I cannot post larger pictures. Just found out that if you click on the picture it gives a larger view.
Winpower low beam

Winpower High beam

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well you are wrong !!!!

The Winpower headlights are plug and play.
Low beam comes on with a D2H bulb. High beam with a H1 bulb. LED AngelEyes and a LED DRL strip above the lights come on together and the LED turn signals are sequential.

Just installed them today. Remove grill and old headlights, install new headlights, install and ground supplied CanBus ballasts, re-install grill. Total time 2 1/2 hours.
Full functionality of OEM HID's would have auto levelers and other fancy capabilities, comparing to lighting packages of the Golf.

But that's great news for the pair you bought, I wish I could see your pics.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Full functionality of OEM HID's would have auto levelers and other fancy capabilities, comparing to lighting packages of the Golf. But that's great news for the pair you bought, I wish I could see your pics.
Since my Passat does not have any of these then there is no great loss.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Got mine from Amazon cheaper and easier to deal with if return is needed or refund. Only sent me one headlight instead of the pair. Returned it and they resent a set. On a cruise right now though and don't know if they got it right or not.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got mine from Amazon cheaper and easier to deal with if return is needed or refund. Only sent me one headlight instead of the pair. Returned it and they resent a set. On a cruise right now though and don't know if they got it right or not.
Amazon's normal price for the beetle headlights is $ 899.00 same as for the Passat at Amazon. Yours are on sale right now for $ 599.00 and the Passat lights at $ 699.00.

I had a full set shipped to me first time and they got it RIGHT the first time, not just one single headlight.

You cannot compare your smaller 1 HID bulb headlight set to the more complex headlight set for the Passat. The Passat headlight uses 1 D2H HID bulb for low beam and a separate H1 HID bulb for high beam.
It also has a long DRL strip below the lights which also becomes a sequential turn signal strip.
It also has Angel Eyes around both low and high beams and a long eyebrow LED strip above the lights.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I wasn't aware of the differences between them. They reshipped me the pair I ordered and are here now, with no fuss at all. They covered shipping back as well and the refund issued and received. Going up to the KC area next weekend for the eclipse so these will hve to wait till after that.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have any concern of the UV protection of the ebay lights? I've heard its recommended to use some sort of laminx to prevent premature fogging/hazzing on these aftermarket units.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have any concern of the UV protection of the ebay lights? I've heard its recommended to use some sort of laminx to prevent premature fogging/hazzing on these aftermarket units.
AS on my previous Jetta I bought some WeatherTech lens protectors so little stones or other debris doesn't damage the plastic lenses. They were still on the Jetta until last year.

As an addition to my Chinese HID headlights, I have to admit I wasn't too happy with the heights level of the lights, too low I thought. I finally got an answer from the Chinese seller telling me where the adjustment screw is to raise the light level. Now I have a nice long low level beam and all signs along the right side of the road are well lit up. It was not an obvious location to see the adjustment to see as on the OEM lights. BTW: Looking at the location I wonder if it is also designed to fit auto leveling there?
Real good lighting now.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
I was wondering if you are getting any flashes from oncoming drivers?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was wondering if you are getting any flashes from oncoming drivers?
None whatsoever. Last night I did another tiny adjustment and I think they are now perfectly set up.

I'll try to do some better pictures when I get a chance showing what the beam looks like on a wall and also how they light up signs alongside the road.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
None whatsoever. Last night I did another tiny adjustment and I think they are now perfectly set up.

I'll try to do some better pictures when I get a chance showing what the beam looks like on a wall and also how they light up signs alongside the road.

That would be great,
Thanks

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Low beam against wall showing nice straight line across and also where passenger side low beams starts.

High beams

Low beams on road

High beams on road

Last edited:

mejpassat

TDI
Low beam against wall showing nice straight line across and also where passenger side low beams starts.

High beams

Low beams on road

High beams on road

I know now what my next purchase is going to be.
Do you happen to have a picture of the drl part of the lights during the day?
Thanks for posting tmhe night time pics.