EGR Disconnected = Limp mode?

Marissa

I have been experiencing what I can only assume is limp mode. I have done searches and heard many having similar CEL's with the same problem.

Is it a fact that when you disconnect the vac hose to the EGR to disable it without using the Elipson device and just living with the CEL it will bring this limp mode??
PS. Turbo pressure is good 15++Psi.

After reconnected how long before limp should go away.

I'm Absoluted, pipercrossed'ed, descreened on a Auto A4 Golf.

[This message has been edited by Marissa (edited March 24, 2001).]

RED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI 4dr GOLF 6sp MAN
I have a a3 jetta TDI upsoluted with the egr disconnected with no such limp mode problems for at least 10K miles without the epsilonion device in service and living with the CEL.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Tried Epsilonian device and it did fine for three days then got CEL. After checking all connections I determined it had to be the EPS device and removed it. It took about eight cycles of start/stop for the CEL light to go out with EGR re-connected and wiring restored to stock. My car obviously found something wrong with the EPS device.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I had a similar problem with the limp mode. Never had a CEL but power was noticably down, cruise would not keep up ect. It ended up being a bad switch on my home made Eps device. Replaced the switch and all is good now.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I've removed the Epsilonian device and have been living with the CEL for several months now. My car has never been in limp mode.

blugg

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black
Wait a minute. I get the sense from all this that the Epsilion Device is somehow flawed. I just joined the confederation but have not yet received my membership kit. Am I going to have problems?

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Not necessarily...There are a lot of these devices out there. I (and others) have had problems with them. They are after all "electronic" devices. I have a feeling that they work very well, just not for my ECU in this case. It could also be just a failure of the EPS unit itself. In my case I decided the constant CEL was a "discomfort" for others in my house and I opted to go to the other half of the problem, the CCV/PCV and tweek it! You may find it works just great! The Federation stands behind the device too!

Marissa

I have been experiencing the dreaded LIMP MODE and took the car into the dealer.

The dealer looked under my hood with 24,700 miles called me and said " WE OPENED THE HhOOD AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR CAR!"

Background: I'm just over 24,700miles, VNT twisted (and put it back best I could), EGR&PVC mod (and put back), put in an oil bypass toilet filter, insulated intake all the way to the turbo, insulated intercooler pipes, cut hole in tire wheel well for intercooler vent, cut twin intake 3inch air holes& hoses in my air box, drilled & tapped intake for a pressure gauge, lost the MAF connector housing after stripping and soldering #5 wire(dam thing fell down into engine I never found it so I electrical taped it up), and of course an undetected stealth ALSOLUTED ECM.

I told him that I did these things (except the for the obvious)and that everything was working fine. Since the MAF output voltage on pin #5 was a constant 1.02volts VALOS and I was convinced it was a dead MAF. This service dept replaced my MAF twice and EGR once a month and half ago. So they are "ALONE" covered by an additional 12months or 12,000miles if by themself's are found defective.

I was told that they wouldn't cover anything because of all the things I've done. He told me the only way to fix the multiple CEL code failures was to return everything to stock and that it would cost big $$. He told me the tech could clear the CEL and see what things come back for $47. But if other things show up wrong besides what parts they previously replaced I would end up paying for its repair. Well, I never heard back from them till I called back. They said my car was ready. TADA it was the MAF and fully covered so not even $47 was charged!! I'm a happy camper.

I couldn't keep my grubby hands out of it. I hooked the voltmeter up to the new MAF output-pin#5 and rev'ed the engine and Y E S indeed when it works right the voltage does swing the TTL range ~1 to 3.5 volts as turning to 3,000rpm. I'll have to remember that in the future as altnerative to buying a VACOM.

Be gentle with the MAF. The mild shock of dropping the air box cover while changing air filter can break them.
[

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! What a list of tweaks and alterations. You are indeed "lucky" that they fixed it up and didn't follow through on the non-warranty issue charges, etc. Guess they want to keep you as a customer!

Marissa

And I forgot to mention the Tuning BOx. That is why I had to mess with unsoldering the #5 wire on the MAF connector and took t off. I can't believe I dropped it in the engine. I even put the car on ramps and pulled the under cover off and couldn't find it. I think there is a Black Hole under my hood. I had no choice but to tape up the end where i soldered it was lost.

Sad thing is I never got the tuning box working with the bad MAF. Now with clean CEL I'm not planning on going back to EGR mod and being advised not to do both Absolute and TB with an Automatic Trans.