Little Pittsburgh Clan

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
kirmet said:
I have the pump up garden sprayer pressure container bleeder tool if you want to borrow it. I'm in Morgantown and it is a pretty easy task.

Helluva game last night for the EER's
I ended up getting a hold of Jamie (up near Washington in the middle of nowhereville) and he helped me out with it. Flushed the brake fluid and threw my new suspension together for me rather nicely :)

tdikayakerpa

TDI
anyone from around uniontown pa area, please post or get in contact with me when anyone is have a trouble shooting or work out the problems event. Thank you, tdikayakerpa.

dracor85

TDI
04 Jetta
Hey guys Im a new VW owner but I have had diesels for a while now, Im just off 28 by Etna. Id be up for a gtg any time. Also I have a garage and some tools if any one needs a hand sometime (I do most of the work on all of my company trucks, all diesels too) just let me know.

Justin

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
I need to troubleshoot a lack of power and poor fuel mileage problem. I'm hoping it's a poor vacuum issue and the intake needs cleaned, otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to split the turbo and clean the variable vane mechanism on the turbo. I've read through Drive-by-Wires illustrated parts breakdown and it doesn't look to difficult. Would also like to hook up a Vag-Com and see it in action.Would also like to attend a close by GTG.

Last edited:

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
kirmet said:
I need to troubleshoot a lack of power and poor fuel mileage problem. I'm hoping it's a poor vacuum issue and the intake needs cleaned, otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to split the turbo and clean the variable vane mechanism on the turbo. I've read through Drive-by-Wires illustrated parts breakdown and it doesn't look to difficult. Would also like to hook up a Vag-Com and see it in action.Would also like to attend a close by GTG.
You don't have any codes, do you? I'll give you a vagcom scan if you need, dunno that I'll have time to run logs anytime in the next couple of weeks though.

kiva

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Any TDI guru's in the Pittsburgh area?

Hey,
I am new to the area and am hundreds of miles away from my local guru and I now have some TDI issues.

I have a CEL P0301 --- Cylender 1 misfire
After researching a bit it looks like I need to pull the valve cover and do some visual inspecting of the lifters and see if there is abnormal wear, or worse a crushed lifter. I live in apt in the city and have no where but the street to work on my vehicle. I have some knowhow but not enough to be changing out cams and lifters by myself and I DO NOT want to do it on the street.

If anyone can help I will be greatfull and can/will definatly pay a resonable price for some garage time and TDI wisdom.

Thank you,
Jay Moffatt

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
Jedda03SGP said:
Real newbie, what is a GTG?

Sorry 'bout that.
No problem. Get ToGether is a GTG

Hey dracor85, just up the road in RIDC during the day.

And one in Glenshaw; wow they are popping up :)

Last edited:

tyhoppy

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
dracor85 said:
Hey guys Im a new VW owner but I have had diesels for a while now, Im just off 28 by Etna. Id be up for a gtg any time. Also I have a garage and some tools if any one needs a hand sometime (I do most of the work on all of my company trucks, all diesels too) just let me know.

Justin
I think we should try to plan a GTG. I know of anther guy from my area that will come... We live about an hour north of PGH.

Let's see how much interest we get.

Any ideas on a location or date?

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
kiva said:
Hey,
I am new to the area and am hundreds of miles away from my local guru and I now have some TDI issues.

I have a CEL P0301 --- Cylender 1 misfire
After researching a bit it looks like I need to pull the valve cover and do some visual inspecting of the lifters and see if there is abnormal wear, or worse a crushed lifter. I live in apt in the city and have no where but the street to work on my vehicle. I have some knowhow but not enough to be changing out cams and lifters by myself and I DO NOT want to do it on the street.

If anyone can help I will be greatfull and can/will definatly pay a resonable price for some garage time and TDI wisdom.

Thank you,
Jay Moffatt
Hey Jay,

If you wash the dirty boater stink out of it, you can bring it to Morgantown and use my garage.

Joey

tdikayakerpa

TDI
When GTG is set I would try like heck to attend, not to many tdis in my area when and any ideas as where?

tdikayakerpa

TDI
stink

This I have to see for myself, the boater stink gettin washed out. Hard as rocks to do. so When ya workin on this problem not the stink..

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Hey fellas, Anyone local interested in 2 17" OEM long beach rims?
Plus a 25mm neuspeed rear swaybar with hardware. Rusty but....you can paint it.
150 bucks for all. Package deal guys, all goes at once

412-657-6948

Dave

Last edited:

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
VAG COM and Bentley

Hey guys, another interest thread for locals.

I sold my TDI and have a VAG-COM cable (Hex-Can-USB) and a Bentley (99-05, exc wagon [01-05]) Bentley manual on CD.

Any interest? $200 for the cable and $50 for the CD. - Or make offer.

Thanks,

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
Stirer said:
I sold my TDI......
Congrats, whats the new ride??
Trade-in the TDI or local sale?
Sadly, I already purchased a vagcom or I would be all over this.

fredzy

TDI
2015 WRX
Hey all, new TDI owner from the Carnegie area. I'm loving my car, but I'm worried about getting bad fuel. Anyone know of decent places to fill up, or if anyone in the area has had problems?

Thanks.

Seismik

TDI
2001 Jetta & 96 Passat
That reminds me, don't get fuel at the BP in Hyde Park next to Kings (near Leechburg/Vandergrift). They've had something wrong with the pumps for a while now. They pump really slow and the shut off doesn't work right. Twice fuel spilled all over the side of my car.

*rant on* The first time, I thought it was my fault, but when it happened again, and happened to the guy on the other side of the pump from me, I went in and complained (politely, just to make them aware of the problem). I got a 'whatever' attitude from the girl behind the counter, so I asked for the manager (what I do for a living is clean up fuel spills, so I know what a serious problem this is, on top of not wanting to have fuel all over the side of my car). I explained to the manager that something was wrong with the pump, and told her that this wasn't the first time that this happened to me there. When I was walking away, I heard the manager mumble to the girl behind the counter "Then why doesn't she go somewhere else." I let her know that I would from then on, no problem. I don't know if they've fixed them since then (this was over the winter), but with an attitude like that, and obviously not caring about the condition of their pumps, I'll never go back there again, and don't recommend it to anyone else either. *rant off*

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
Seismik said:
That reminds me, don't get fuel at the BP in Hyde Park next to Kings (near Leechburg/Vandergrift).
(what I do for a living is clean up fuel spills, so I know what a serious problem this is, on top of not wanting to have fuel all over the side of my car).
I wouldn't buy fuel from ANY BP, but I guess your buying from BP guarantees you a job.

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
pm22071985 said:
Congrats, whats the new ride??
Trade-in the TDI or local sale?
Sadly, I already purchased a vagcom or I would be all over this.
Thanks. I sold it in the Pennsylvania area, no trade in for me :)

I purchase a new Acura TSX (dark gray/ebony leather). It's a nice ride. Suspension tuned similar to VW's but not quite the same driving class.

dracor85

TDI
04 Jetta
As far as fuel goes, I get fuel in my trucks all over the city and have had 0 problems with 3 trucks filling up 30gal a week. Most of the stations are BP's which I dont like running their fuel I have noticed a trend of lower mileage on the BP fuel (and more expensive usually) but I also have had good luck with the few Get-Go's and Sheet's that have Diesel. Good stations I know of up Rt-8 in Gibsonia Sheets and GetGo, GetGo on Rt51 and Rt28 in Cheswick, BP's in Millvale, McKees Rocks, Rt19 in the SouthHills, the Exxon on 910 in Wexford just off the exit from 79. Thats to name a few good ones that I know of and have had no problems with.

As far as a GTG lets get one set up here how about the 9th or 10th of July? its a friday or saturday, as far as a place to meet on Sat I can offer the gravel lot at work its off of Babcock Blvd in the northhills, the lot will hold 20-30cars comfortably and there are plenty of places to eat close by. I know its far off but Im booked the rest of June, so what do ya guys think let me know.

Justin

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
I actually grew up in Carnegie and my mom still lives there...

...anyway, I have never tried the Sunoco on Mansfield..I believe that is the only diesel in Carnegie. The next closest are GetGo on 50, Exxon on 50 in Heidelberg, and the Exxon on Campbells Run Road in Robinson near the 376 exit. I have filled up at all of these multiple times and have never had any issues.

As for any others in the area...BP at the corner of Beaver Grade Rd and Rt 60 in Robinson; Exxon, BP, and Sunoco right off of the Bridgeville exit on 79; 7-11/Citgo on Greentree Road; BP right off of the parkway near the tunnels on Rt 51 (typically 10-15 cents higher). I have also filled up at all of these with no problems.

...I think I covered most of them local to you.

fredzy said:
Hey all, new TDI owner from the Carnegie area. I'm loving my car, but I'm worried about getting bad fuel. Anyone know of decent places to fill up, or if anyone in the area has had problems?

Thanks.

fredzy

TDI
2015 WRX
Thanks guys. Yea I've been filling up at Exxon in Heidelberg and GetGo in Carnegie. They seem busy and the car runs good on both.

I'm going to use PS Diesel Kleen additive for a few tanks to see if it improves my MPG at all, can't hurt. I'm just over 1400 miles on the wagon now so I probably wouldn't be able to tell yet, but oh well. All this rabblerousing about HPFP failures on the 09/10's has me spooked so If I see some MPG improvements I'll run this stuff until I'm sure it's fine to do otherwise.

dracor85

TDI
04 Jetta
I run the PS white(winter) and grey(Summer) bottles in my truck and I pick up a little bit of mileage 1/2-1mpg if I run a heavy dose for 2 tanks in a row. It gets expensive when its 30-40gal per fillup once a week per truck with 3 trucks! I mostly run it in the winter to prevent gelups since me and my guys are on call 24/7 so the trucks HAVE to start.

Hey while we are on the subject, what kind of mileage are you guys that live in the Pittsburgh area getting? I got 49.8mpg on the highway coming from Virginia to Pittsburgh, straight highway for 300+miles. My wife and myself both get 28.5-30mpg driving 100% in town with back to back hand calculated fillups.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
What: GTG
When: Saturday June 12, 2010
Where: 50 South Street
Beallsville, Pa. 15313
Why: why not!

Seriously Tonino is comeing to tune some more 2010 2.0t cars and this is a little less short notice.

catskul

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
Pgh Still active

Anyone know how many Pgh TDIers there are on the forums?

More questions questions:

-Anyone know a good TDI mechanic in the city?

And to avoid shipping heavy stuff:

-Anyone looking for a brand new 1Z/AHU block?
-Anyone looking for a brand new set of pistons?
-Anyone looking for a AHU head that needs to be rebuilt? (timing belt slipped)

Fuel:

- Exxon on carson near Station Square
- Bruno's (Gulf) service station on 5th (Recently discovered while walking until my 97 TDI is fixed)

Last edited:

Matt15237

TDI
2004 GLS TDI
anyone with a vag-com in Pittsburgh?

is anyone willing to help me diagnose a check engine light on my '04 jetta TDI? I do not have a vag-com and even if I did, my "fix it skills" are pretty weak.

The dealership says it's not dangerous to drive since the light is solid, not flashing, and they can't fit me in until June 24th. Still, I have to drive to Harrisburg next week and less than thrilled that the car may not be 100%.

Anyone willing to help?