Stupid door Switch!! $3 Fix!!!

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI (Mk4) 1.9L ALH 5spd [VNT-17/22 Turbo, RC4, PP520 Nozzles]
Funny, since I bought my Mk4 TDI, I had to take apart both the driver-side front AND rear doors to get at the locking mechanisms. But I have never had to replace a microswitch. The solder joints for the connector just had to be resoldered.

However, I did have to replace the microswitch for the trunk door.

franko

excellent thread

I'll use this info!
Is this the same problem that causes the alarm to go off if the passenger door is open when locking the car with the remote.
My wife is slow getting out of the car and I'm impatient!

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
Franko, Does the alarm go off while she has the door open, or just at the moment it closes?
Mine (passnger door side) finally wore out again, this is the replacement from about 4+ years back. Bummer

ubercam

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf Match TDI 1.9L (BXE) M5
I ripped apart and tested the Jetta's driver's side lock module last night and the door open/closed switch still sounds fine and clicks nicely when you actuate it by hand, but alas the multimeter tells a much different story... 24 ohms when closed. Obviously it's toast. The one for the lock and two key turning ones (the Cherry ones) are all in perfect shape and very close to 0 ohms when closed (as they should be). I'm assuming the passenger side is the same, minus the ones for the key turning of course.

I have been trying literally all day to sort out a preferably local, and if not, Canadian supplier for 2x V4NSUL. I found out that Grainger (Acklands-Grainger in Canada) is supposedly a Saia-Burgess distributor, so I gave a local store a call, and they didn't want to deal with me unless I was a business or a farmer. I said for the purposes of finding out whether you sell them or not, and they couldn't find the part number. I called Active Electronics here in Winnipeg and they have never heard of Saia-Burgess. Active sells a Mode electronics switch (47-300) that's very similar and would work, but it's not sealed like the V4NSUL so I don't know for how long. Would smearing some di electric grease or something in there help it? They're only $3-$4 so I think I'm gonna go with that one. Hopefully they've got stock.

The magnetic switch... It's actually a fantastic idea! I'd love to see it done because there are no moving parts to get worn out and it would (hopefully) just work. I did a quick search on Mode's website, and came up with this: http://mode-elec.com/pdf/switches/47-600.pdf. These are the same exact switches that your house alarm system uses to determine whether or not your doors are open, so why not in a car? They sell at Active for under $7, so very cost effective. All you would have to do is run the wires from the normally open (I think...) and common to the same locations on the lock switch circuit board, bypassing the existing microswitch. The other side is just a magnet, so you can glue, rivet, bolt, or otherwise attach the piece somewhere where it won't get kicked. The other side obviously needs to stay on the door.

The datasheet says the max amperage is 250mA (or 0.25A). Anyone know what kind of amps go through this switch? Also the stated operating temp is between -20°C and 55°C which doesn't quite cut it with our friendly Manitoba winters. At the back door of our house, the two halves are about 1/4" to 1/2" apart and the alarm thinks the door is closed. We had a fairly bad draft right where the mag switch was for a couple years and when it was -40°C it still worked... YMMV I guess. You would have to experiment with the multimeter with the parts you had in your hands to see exactly what their spacing tolerance was though. I think this would be dead easy to do. You could even paint the switches body colour, or hide them under trim or whatever, just keep the wired half of the switch away from the speaker or you'll have the same problem as now: The door will still think it's always shut heh.

Anyway, there's some food for thought. To me, a magnetic system would be far more reliable due to the lack of moving parts (providing it works at the temperature extremes we have here in Manitoba), but would involve a tiny bit of hacking and good placement of the halves to get it to work just right. These things stand up to house doors being slammed, so I think they would be fine on a car door.

I just might kludge this together and try this... I'll keep you updated on the progress and if it works I'll write up a quick and easy how-to, leaving out all the stuff that's already covered in other how-to's of course. No need to repeat ourselves.

Cam

XJCoupe

Veteran Member
TDI
none
ubercam said:
The datasheet says the max amperage is 250mA (or 0.25A). Anyone know what kind of amps go through this switch?
No, but you can find out by connecting your multimeter in place of the door switch and temporarily attaching the electrical connector to the lock assembly.

Can't help you with a specific source for a sealed switch in Canada, but you should be able to contact a good electronic parts distributor and find a match by the specs of the Burgess switch.

Good luck.

Thanks to those who have contributed to this thread. I successfully replaced the mangled driver door switch in my car with the Burgess part.

ubercam

Veteran Member
TDI
I just placed an order for two Mode 47-300 switches (to directly replace the Burgess switch) at $1 a piece! They will take a week to arrive unfortunately, but for $1 a piece one can't go wrong. The magnetic switches were $6.14 a piece so maybe next time. Neither are an item they normally stock unfortunately.

We only have Active Electronics in Winnipeg since Rat Shack turned into The Source. Apparently there used to be a fair number of electronic component shops here back in the 70's and 80's, but now everything is so centralized, and it's difficult to find what you need... especially when business start behaving like Acklands and you have to be a friggin farmer or have a business account just to order one damn part from them! They were my only hope at a local supplier, but whatever. You guys south of the border have it a lot easier when it comes to this kind of stuff. If the Burgess switches lasted 4-5 years, the Mode ones should last at least half that, and by then I can do all the work over again. I like working on cars too much for it to be any other way hehe.

John B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI
ubercam said:
I just placed an order for two Mode 47-300 switches (to directly replace the Burgess switch) at $1 a piece! They will take a week to arrive unfortunately, but for $1 a piece one can't go wrong. The magnetic switches were $6.14 a piece so maybe next time. Neither are an item they normally stock unfortunately.
You can easily order the Burgess switch from Allied. No problems shipping to Canuckisland.

ubercam

Veteran Member
TDI
We'll see how these Mode ones work out. They still haven't come in, hopefully next week. I'm a little hesitant to spend probably about $30 for 2 switches if $2 will sort it out.

John B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI
ubercam said:
We'll see how these Mode ones work out. They still haven't come in, hopefully next week. I'm a little hesitant to spend probably about $30 for 2 switches if $2 will sort it out.
I suppose, but with a solid hour or two labour per door, the cost is a pretty tiny factor. Do it once. It is not worth saving money to do it twice.

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Honestly - I'm just adding my .02 in here so I can reference this thread later when my parts arrive...

And just like everyone else... my switch is broken as well.

It's dark when I drive to work - and it's dark when I arrive home. I'd like my lights back:cool: .

michael.

astrolumen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed Stock
Switch Fixed, except backasswards

So, I hope I find this funny in a few days. Right now I'm feeling pretty crappy about it.

I got everything apart to find that my door switch was indeed the culprit for my door problems. I installed a new v4ns-ul from allied electric, tested it and thought it worked. Now that everything is back together and functional, I find that although my puddle light works, it only works when the door is shut. When I put the key in and start the car with the door shut, the lights dome lights come on and the dinging occurs like the door is open, though it is utterly shut.

Is there any way for me to make this work properly without completely disassembling the door again? I really don't want to do that.

Thanks.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
This is precisely why I reccomend purchasing a new switch assembly from VW. If yours is still not working, then you'll have to dissasemble the whole door again.

astrolumen

TDI
oldpoopie said:
This is precisely why I reccomend purchasing a new switch assembly from VW. If yours is still not working, then you'll have to dissasemble the whole door again.
Actually, I'm getting quite good at tearing down and putting the door back together, so that is now less of an issue.

However, it would still be nice to get this switch to work in the right way.

The score: driver side door was never recognized as open nor closed. Removed switch to reveal this catastrophic failure:

Replaced it with the V4NS-UL switch from allied electronics, which is the exact same switch. I installed it with the door latch in the "open" position. After putting everything back together, the door did respond to being open and closed, just in the opposite way (door open sensed door closed and the reverse). :confused: I have a feeling that this could be corrected quite simply, even if it means taking the door apart again (no big deal now). Any ideas??

At this point I have simply clipped the wires entirely so that I don't have to deal with the dome lights and door open signal while I'm driving. :eek:

astrolumen

TDI
oldpoopie said:
correct. You soldered the wires to the wrong terminals.
No soldering required. I got the switch with wire leads with coloring as follows: Red = common, Blue = Normally open, Yellow = Normally Closed. As I saw in jrip's post here he did the same thing. I'm now curious whether jrip is having the same problem though he hasn't posted in 4 months.

The obvious thing to do would be switch the blue and yellow wires. Is that what you're getting at, Poopie?

One thing that has me a little confused that I don't have a picture of is an anomaly with my door latch. It seems someone has been in there before me with a dremel and tried to notch out the spot where the latch contacts the switch. I can't tell if the notch is deep enough to be effective or not but it may be complicating the matter:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
there are 2 wires at the switch, so you need to connect the wires coming from the mechanisim to the corresponding common and Normally Open terminals. The normally closed should be disconnected from anything. Perhaps the switch you got was mislabled.

astrolumen

TDI
oldpoopie said:
there are 2 wires at the switch, so you need to connect the wires coming from the mechanisim to the corresponding common and Normally Open terminals. The normally closed should be disconnected from anything. Perhaps the switch you got was mislabled.
I chopped the NC (yellow wire) before doing anything. Fortunately (or not) I would not have had the chance to connect the NC anyway. So it's either a problem with improperly wired switch or the notch in my door latch is actually the problem (see pic in my next most recent post). Thanks OP for your responses and patience.

John B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI
When you have the latch in hand...... Check the switch with an ohm meter open and closed to make sure it is working. Don't wait until the whole thing is hooked up.

It sounds like you wired to the wrong leads.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
also possible you installed the switch itself backwards. The mechanisim needs to be oriented in a particular way to operate.

astrolumen

TDI
oldpoopie said:
also possible you installed the switch itself backwards. The mechanisim needs to be oriented in a particular way to operate.
Here's what the area looks like where the door switch is installed (photo credit to [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] VGRT6 on VWVortex)[/FONT][/FONT]:

Does it look like there's a lot of room for error in how the switch is oriented? The wires come off the same side of the switch. I'm admittedly new to this, but I don't think I could have gotten that part wrong.

I don't have any updates on the progress yet because it's below 0 here in MN and I have no garage to work in. I'll let you know what happens when I take another shot at it.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I'm very familiar with these switches. I don't know the exact replacement u used, but maybe the wires exit the switch differently than the orriginal. The button on the switch is offset to one side and must be located just right to get it to workl properly..Apologies for any misspellings. This is being posted from my phone.

John B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI
As he says, it needs to be installed very precisely in just the right spot. The Burgass switch is not the same as the OEM one and needs to be fitted.

Kostas2009

TDI
Switch Number in Canada (Circuit City)

Hi all you Canadians out there.

If you're lookin for this part at circuit city, the number is 275-0016

DannoB

TDI
1.9 L 2003 Golf
Sandman, you guys rock here at tdiclub. Just replaced my driver's door switch, followed your instructions, everything went great. Used the RS switch and it work fine with just some minor mods.
Thanks for the great advice !
Danno:)

ubercam

Veteran Member
TDI
Kostas2009 said:
Hi all you Canadians out there.

If you're lookin for this part at circuit city, the number is 275-0016
Thanks for the find man. There is some stock in Winnipeg, so I might have to pick one up.

I ordered a similar pair of switches from Active Electronics in Winnipeg, and they were a buck each. I realize that I should have ordered them with cams though, but I jury rigged one out of a piece of plastic packaging and some Krazy Glue. I wrecked one switch because some of the glue seeped into the switch mechanism and I wrecked the button bit with pliers trying to free it before I realized that I could just take the damn thing apart. The other one has been working flawlessly in the driver's door so far. Why couldn't they have just used a freakin' contact switch on the door pillar instead, like nearly every other car in existence? How difficult would that have been? Seriously. Sometimes being different isn't necessarily better. In any case, VW should have used cammed switches! They wouldn't wear out nearly as quickly then, plus that is the proper way to do it. It probably saved them 2 cents per unit or something, so they figured it would be ok. So much for building it right the first time.

All that being said, the replacement door contact switch on the pillar for my sister's Passat, which she somehow broke, is $21.25 from the stealer and another $9.72 for the rubber boot that goes around it, which was also missing! Hopefully I can find one cheaper locally... Autopartsway/Worldpac doesn't seem to sell them unfortunately.

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Blue, TOTALED, Jetta, 2002, Green
astrolumen said:
No soldering required. I got the switch with wire leads with coloring as follows: Red = common, Blue = Normally open, Yellow = Normally Closed. As I saw in jrip's post here he did the same thing. I'm now curious whether jrip is having the same problem though he hasn't posted in 4 months.

The obvious thing to do would be switch the blue and yellow wires. Is that what you're getting at, Poopie?

One thing that has me a little confused that I don't have a picture of is an anomaly with my door latch. It seems someone has been in there before me with a dremel and tried to notch out the spot where the latch contacts the switch. I can't tell if the notch is deep enough to be effective or not but it may be complicating the matter:

I did have a problem the first try, but through testing before final assembly I rectified it. Unfortunately I cannot remember what it was. :confused: I think it had to do with the positioning of the switch, but I'm not sure. I did solder my connections as you can tell by the shrinkwrap covering the solder joints. At this point in time I have not had any problems with it. :D As an old man with nothing but time on my hands this was not a problem. If I was doing it for a customer I might just throw in the VW part to save time. Although, the more one does it the faster he becomes.

jaysayed

TDI
1.9 GTTDI
door switch

Hi,
Im new to VW's

I baught a Mk4 1.9 GT TDI yesterday, and was told that the driver door window motor had just been replaced, and that as a result the window wouldnt work from the controll panel, and that the central locking would no longer open the drivers door. The guy told me that i had to have it reset by VW and that it would start working????

Also im having the same problems mentioned in this thread (dome light not coming on when open drivers door, and locks re-arming when drivers door is opened, the dome light turns its self on randomly when im driving it (just for a second or two), i think after reading this post it may be the door switch as the car isnt recognising the drivers door as open or closed (or anything), as it also doesnt beep when i open the door and leave the key in.

I cant seem to find the switch being talked about in this thread, also where an i get one in the uk? even if i had to order from U.S, i type the part number in the Radio Shack website and find nothing. Could someone perhaps send me a link??

And any clues as to whats going on with my locking and window? also the electric mirrors adjuster wont work, though the drivers window does go up and down when i use the key in the door barell.
Can anyone please shed some light on this situation for me?