Speed limits across the US are on the rise! Up-to-date state-to-state info & news...

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Without trying to sound argumentive, please explain to me the political reasons for keeping the speed limit lower. You don't think our govt wouldn't reap the rewards from the 2-4 mpg EACH vehicle would lose by increasing the speed limit say 10mph? The extra fuel use across the board would make the ticket revenue seem like peanuts and guess what, they would still have ticket revenue because your still going to have people pushing the envelope regardless of the posted speed limit. Not to mention the increase in insurance claims would be huge. Again if I were drving 10-15 mph faster all these years during the peak of deer season or at 5am on my way to work when there is a dense fog just to keep from getting run over by other traffic I am 100% certain I would be making more claims than what I would have. Your theory of everybody paying more attention because they are driving faster is called common sense and in a perfect world would work but just isn't the case with alot of drivers. If you've driven 3,000,000 miles I'm sure you've seen your fair share of people putting their make up on, doing their hair, texting/talking on the phone etc while driving. Increasing the speed limit by 5,10, or 15mph isn't going to change their driving habits.
It will however certainly be profitable for insurance companies :D

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
But you would NOT lose 2-4 mpg because the real speed that people drive stays (almost) the same, regardless of the speed limit!

Political reasons for low speed limits? Old thinking. And money. The cops want reasons to pull people over.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Here is something that showed up in a few places across Canadian media last week.........
"At the same time … the overwhelming majority of evidence internationally is that speed kills, so that raising highway limits generally is likely to lead to more fatalities."
No surprise; hitting a concrete barrier at 150 compared to 50, will do that.

Having looked over a paper listing vehicle fatalities in countries around the world, that does not seem to be the case.

Of course the country with the very high speed limit that I looked at, that I compared to Canada/USA for example, had smarter drivers with far less attitude on the road and I can give you plenty of examples having driven there and here.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
But you would NOT lose 2-4 mpg because the real speed that people drive stays (almost) the same, regardless of the speed limit!

Political reasons for low speed limits? Old thinking. And money. The cops want reasons to pull people over.
I grew up in Wyoming and remember driving through Nebraska on several occasions via I-80. We would generally maintain 5-7mph over the speed limit and cars would routinely blow by us like we were standing still. Fast forward 25+ years and we drove out last summer to visit family for a few weeks. Speed limit is now 75, set crurise at 80 and we were routinely getting passed by cars and trucks doing 10-15 over the speed limit. It does not matter what the posted speed limit is set to there will always be people pushing the envelope.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It does not matter what the posted speed limit is set to there will always be people pushing the envelope.
But the majority of people do not.

Normal traffic flow speed on unrestricted sections of the autobahn in Germany is 120 - 140 km/h, with only a small portion of the traffic exceeding that.

For every Mercedes S-class there are at least 10 each of Opel Corsa 1.2, Renault Twingo, VW Golf non-turbo diesel, Ford Mondeo towing a trailer bigger than the car, Fiat Ducato full size van 2.3 diesel, etc., and none of those are speed demons ...

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If you've driven 3,000,000 miles I'm sure you've seen your fair share of people putting their make up on, doing their hair, texting/talking on the phone etc while driving.
One of my favorite signature lines is:

What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Two words: REVENUE ENHANCEMENT
But would they admit to that?

I doubt it and if they say revenue is not the prime reason, then let me pay the fine to a charity instead. Its still a fine to me and I am out of pocket.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Waldo Florida caught using a political speed limit as a atm to pad city budget.

You want a prime example of a political speed limit used to fill coffers, I don't think you will find a better example.

Waldo Florida dropped the highway speed limit from 65 to 35 mph in a short distance for one reason, to make money!

And they got caught so now are likely to loose their city police forces!

Waldo Florida caught using a political speed limit as a atm to pad city budget.

The north Florida town of Waldo has long had a reputation as a speed trap, and it's no wonder. A small segment of highway that runs through Waldo requires drivers to speed up and slow down six times: 65 mph becomes 55 mph; 55 becomes 45; then goes back to 55; then back down to 45; to 55 again and eventually, 35 mph.

AAA named the tiny town between Jacksonville and Gainesville one of only two "traffic traps" nationwide and even placed an attention-getting billboard outside the limits of the town to warn drivers to slow down before entering.

Now Waldo faces a scandal following allegations that the town victimizes motorists to turn a profit. Two police chiefs have been suspended, the police department has rebelled and the state is investigating possible wrongdoing.

The situation simmered for years until this month, when Police Chief Mike Szabo was suspended Aug. 12, apparently in response to an investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement into suspected improprieties in the way officers write tickets.

The issue then burst into the open two weeks later at a Waldo City Council meeting, when a group of police officers said they had been ordered by Szabo to write at least 12 tickets per 12-hour shift or face repercussions.

The officers also leveled allegations at the Aug. 26 meeting against Cpl. Kenneth Smith, who had been picked to fill in for Szabo. The officers complained that Smith had, among other things, mishandled evidence. The city council then suspended Smith.

Not surprisingly, things are tense at the tiny stucco storefront office that serves as Waldo City Hall. On Friday morning, Mayor Louie Davis and City Manager Kim Worley met in a small cluttered office to discuss the controversy, slamming a door shut with a "no comment" when a reporter walked in seeking information.

Waldo has long had a reputation as a speed trap, but the allegations made by the police officers were particularly stunning since ticket quotas are illegal under Florida law.

In 2013, Waldo's seven police officers filed 11,603 traffic citations, according to records obtained by the Gainesville Sun newspaper. That compares with 25,461 citations in 2013 for much larger Gainesville, which has 300 officers and 128,000 residents, including thousands of college students.

The fines paid by motorists are a big money-maker. According to the city's 2013 budget, about half of its $1 million in revenue came from "court fines" from tickets issued.

After council appearance, the officers filed a complaint with the Florida Inspector General's Office seeking protection under the Florida Whistleblower Act. The officers said they were forced to go public because Worley failed to conduct an investigation after they told her about the quotas, the mismanagement of evidence and other problems, according to the complaint.

"City manager Worley broke the trust of the concerned members and went straight to Chief Szabo," the officers said in the complaint. "Chief Szabo then took a retaliatory stance against the members for approximately six months."

In a written statement released after the council meeting, Worley said the city takes the officers' allegations seriously but will not comment further. She has requested that a commander from the Alachua County Sheriff's Office take over leadership of the department.

The State Attorney's Office in Alachua County said it is waiting for the FDLE to finish its investigation of ticket quotas and other wrongdoing before deciding whether to file charges against either Szabo or Smith. The FDLE did not return a message seeking comment.

The Florida Department of Transportation is in charge of setting speed limits, but says it did factor in requests from Waldo officials when setting up speed limits there.

Because the stretch of highway with six different speed limits runs by schools and a popular flea market that draws many pedestrians, the department said the speed changes are legal. But enforcing speed limits is Waldo's responsibility, said Tony Falotico, a traffic operations engineer at FDOT.

Ron Sachs, a media consultant hired by the city after the furor and attention sparked by the officers' revolt, said the city now wants the state to change the array of speed limits to one.

"What the city is looking for is a level speed limit from one boundary to the other," Sachs said. "The speed limit changes at times makes it impossible to have a level application of law enforcement."

Waldo residents said many people do drive through town too quickly, but hope the multiple speed limit changes could be reduced to make it easier to comply with the law.

Some welcomed news of the state's investigation, saying people are tired of the harassment.

"I'm glad they're doing something about it," said Mike Barrs, 35, a longtime Waldo resident who said he's gotten at least 20 tickets. "If I had a light out on my trailer they'll pull me over for that, for anything."

AAA, which named Waldo and nearby town of Lawtey as the nation's two worst speed traps, said it opposes traffic enforcement practices designed to raise revenue rather than increase road safety.

"AAA condemns all practices," spokeswoman Karen Morgan said, "whereby law enforcement agency rates the efficiency of its officers based upon the number of arrests made or citations issued."

Tallahassee media professional Ron Sachs has been brought on by the City of Waldo to make a push for one speed limit through the city rather than three.

Sachs said Wednesday morning that he offered his services free of charge to the small city of 1,000 people and has launched a campaign to shed its image as one of America's worst speed traps.

“The town's City Council is actively considering establishing an expert panel of highway safety experts to conduct a thorough review of the town's policies, protocols and procedures," Sachs wrote in a statement. "Waldo also has repeated its persistent request that the Florida Department of Transportation set a consistent, safe, predictable speed limit along Main Street (Highway 301) and Highway 24 that pass through Waldo."

Sachs said Waldo had reached out to the Florida League of Cities, which he represents, and that he then reached out to the city. The municipality in the northeast corner of Alachua County has been known for decades as a speed trap, and its notoriety re-emerged after its own police officers revealed an unlawful speeding ticket quota allegedly enforced by Police Chief Mike Szabo and City Manager Kim Worley.

Szabo has been suspended since Aug. 12 because of a Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation into a charge Worley would describe only as being a violation of police procedure. A report provided by the Clay County Sheriff's Office through a public records request showed he also had been investigated for allegedly harassing a woman there and then lying to an investigator.

The ticket quota allegation came up during an Aug. 26 presentation the city's five active officers made to the City Council. They also claimed Szabo regularly lied about being on the job and that Cpl. Kenneth Smith used city-owned video equipment to watch over the parking lot of his apartment complex. Smith, who was appointed interim chief after Szabo's suspension, was then suspended on Aug. 28 in light of the allegations he faces. The FDLE on Tuesday launched its own official investigation into the ticket quotas.

Sachs said the city is willing to embrace reform.

“Waldo errs on the side of protecting the safety of our residents and visitors," Sachs said. "But rather than being known as a speed trap, we want Waldo to be the safest place to drive or walk."

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
State Sen. Jim Oberweis seeks an override of a speed-limit bill vetoed by Gov

The state senator who sponsored a bill to clear up confusion over where the passed last year limit increase should apply plans to try to override the gov veto this fall. The bill that was vetoed by the gov last week instructed the tollway authority to increase the limit from 55 to 70 mph.

State Sen. Jim Oberweis, R–Sugar Grove, said he will seek an override this fall of a speed-limit bill he sponsored that was vetoed by Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn on Aug. 26.

Quinn vetoed Senate Bill 2015, which would have raised the speed limit on Illinois tollways to 70 miles per hour. He cited studies from the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority that indicate motorists already are driving above the speed limit on the tollways.

Quinn also referenced his veto of Senate Bill 930, which increases the speed limit for large trucks on interstate highways.

“As with Senate Bill 930, the convenience of increased speeds for drivers on Illinois tollways does not outweigh the safety risks to children, families and our dedicated public servants.”

Given the widespread support the bill received earlier this year, Oberweis appears likely to have more than enough votes to override Quinn’s veto during Illinois legislators’ fall session. Senate Bill 2015 was passed by a 111-4 vote of the House of Representatives on May 29 and by a 48-6 vote of the Senate on May 21.

“He used to say ‘Let the will of the people be the law of the land,’ ” Oberweis said of Quinn in a phone interview on Tuesday. “In this case, he didn’t want to let the will of the people be the law.”

Oberweis said many academic studies indicate it’s not speed that kills, but variation of speed that kills between motorists. A higher speed limit would reduce those speed variations in traffic and those that attempt to weave past slower drivers.

Oberweis also said people are more likely to get into an accident on a two-lane county highway than a toll highway where traffic is generally separated by concrete barriers. A higher speed limit would encourage more people to use the toll highways, thus adding revenue to the tollway system, as well, Oberweis said.

“Many senators and representatives support this bill,” Oberweis said. “It’s clearly a bipartisan effort.”

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Exactly. The conspiracy is that lower speeds help generate ticket revenues. When in fact it's the Feds that control the max speeds on federal highways. If a city officers writes a ticket it goes to the city and not the Feds. Plus higher speed limits would greatly improve fuel taxes and new car sales. The cars would suck down more fuel, wear more tires, and be involved in higher serious crashes. This would all benefit sales taxes and fuel taxes. Plus many people would still push the speed over the limit and local officers would still be able to fulfill the "quota". Waldo PD is 12 tickets per 12 hour shift. If I'm on the freeway at 5mph over the limit I will easily have 12 cars pass me in just a few hours.

please read the last sentence of the second paragraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
If speed limits was about revenue then they would set the fines very high. Instead in my state of Georgia 0-10 over is not even enforced by local officers. Only a state officer can write a ticket for 0-10 over. Unless it's a school zone or construction zone. 0-10 over is zero points toward the drivers license and is often less than 100$ fine. When if it was about revenue they could set the fine at a max allowed level of 1000$. Often it requires a speed in excess of 21 over before fines exceed 500$. Then most officers will reduce the speed on the ticket to further lower the fines.
Here in the CPR there is your base fine, then there are a multitude of "fees" added on to it so you never end up paying less that a couple of hundred dollars. Here is a short list of STATE surcharges and fees:

Surcharges

The state charges a 20% surcharge on all traffic tickets. This means, for example, a $40 fine will incur a surcharge of $8.
List of Other Additional Fees

• State Penalty Assessment
  • County Penalty Assessment
  • Court Facility Construction Penalty Assessment
  • DNA Identification Fund Penalty Assessment
  • Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Penalty Assessment

In addition to the above, each county and city can impose their own surcharges, assessments, and fees.

Here is the 2012 "Uniform" bail and penalties schedule (how can it be uniform if local governments can add differing amounts to it?):

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/Final-2012-JC-BAIL.pdf

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Walt,

You quote the message and then highlight the part you want to 'snip' or remove. Click delete, then add back the " <SNIP>" by typing it on your keyboard.

Bill

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Bill---just noticed you responded as well, thanks for trying to help me but I must admit that I am hopeless at this stuff. All for the better probably, life without GPS and a cellphone have treated me just fine. YES, I use an old atlas and maps.google to determine my route prior to leaving for my destination if I do not know where it is. This is rarely the case but it works for me. Wrapping myself in flame-suit now.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Bill---just re-read your message and maybe the quotation marks are the problem, I left those out. thanks again for trying to help the hopeless.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Sorry to go off topic guys/gals. I recently went threw Missouri and the DOT there had a sign that said of the "4XX" people who have died of vehicular accidents in the state "62%" were not wearing a seat belt. So you I guess you can make a car safer but not make a human smarter. SURPRISE SURPRISE

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My point remains the near same. Plus I think the Feds still limit the max speed limits by controlling federal funding. The way they forced DUI limits to 0.08.
No, that was how they DID enforce the NMSL. That authority was removed when the NMSL was repealed.

Actually, they use the "funding" club to force states requiring the minimum alcohol drinking age to be 21 thus they penalize adult citizens since the legal age of adulthood in these United States is 18. Every adult right should be available to those of that age; if not then everything should be at 21: drinking, voting, serving in the military, etc. If you're old enough to fight and die for these United States, then you're old enough to drink.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I here you in the drinking age. I was a Marine NCO carrying a machine gun and couldn't buy a beer at Pizza Hut.
I think members of the military should be exempt from ALL "under 21" laws. When I was in the Air Force I violated the alcohol laws by buying for fellow members who were under 21.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just got back from a 7500 mile trip and I have to say that the new 80 MPH limits in most of the west are fantastic! Traffic is light and moves at an appropriate pace. Crazy speed differentials have basically disappeared, and the overall attitude on the road seems more relaxed.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Is that your first time driving in the west? Less populated roads are generally very pleasant at any speed.
Not my first time - I've made several road trips out west over the years, with the most recent being last July, prior to when many states went to 80 MPH limits. Now that I think of it, I think Wyoming was the only 80 MPH state along my route last year.

I attribute the drive being pleasant to the low traffic density (obviously), but also to the comfortable pace at which traffic flows. 65 to 70 MPH seems artificially low for conditions, so you're always wanting to go faster, or looking over your shoulder if you decide to go faster. At 80, those issues aren't as pronounced because the pace feels appropriate for the roads and conditions.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We have had no NMSL since Nov 1995, states can without restriction or penalty set what ever limit or set no numerical limit where they deem safe on US, State and other state roads.....Today 49 states today have at least a 65 limit on some of their state's roads or freeways, 38 states have 70 or higher posted today on at least some roads or freeways. One state has a 60 mph maximum posted.......With at least three other states currently considering raising the posted maximum to 70 or 75......

Florida passed a increase but insurance lobby money backed politics won out pushing him to veto the limit increase.

Insurance lobby money again has won the battle as of right now on setting proper limits on the ILL Turnpike. But momentum is building on a override effort to make this law anyway soon.....

And the insurance lobby money supported politics won out in NC & Mississippi blocking a widely supported limit increase to 75 last year.........

No, that was how they DID enforce the NMSL. That authority was removed when the NMSL was "defeated"

( i think you mean the word you were looking for is defeated in Nov 1995. We have had no national speed limit since. Within ~18 months most had gone back to higher than the NMSL 55. Today every state has some limits above 55(NMSL) )....
Actually, they use the "funding" club to force states requiring the minimum alcohol drinking age to be 21 thus they penalize adult citizens since the legal age of adulthood in these United States is 18. Every adult right should be available to those of that age; if not then everything should be at 21: drinking, voting, serving in the military, etc. If you're old enough to fight and die for these United States, then you're old enough to drink.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the new higher posted limit is being used as a revenue generating tool

Idaho has gotten caught playing with the speeding ticket numbers to give a false impression of how drivers are reacting to the new higher limit.....

I am starting to see claims of increased ticketing in the new 80 mph posted zones across Idaho, with the IDHP claiming more drivers are speeding. But the real actual average speed data from the road embedded data points across the state does not show this! What the real speed data from around the state is showing is that the average speed in these areas has actually dropped slightly.

But what has changed to lead to this surge in ticket numbers is the allowed above posted tolerance which was ~85 mph under the posted 75 limit only a few weeks ago has now dropped to 81-83 mph. This lowering of the tolerance for no apparent safety related reason has lead to a spike in the number of tickets written....

So what we have here is the Idaho State Troopers using the raising of the posted limit as an excuse to pad the bottom line dollar wise.....

If they had followed the example set by Utah, of observing how drivers reacted to the limit increase without this revenue based arbitrary enforcement effort they would have observed the same no change in speed or safety. But with this revenue based extra enforcement effort they have been carrying out since the increase they have skewed the numbers to give a cloudy picture of what is actually taking place today since the rise in the posted maximum......

The same thing is happening in Wyoming today also.........

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, that was how they DID enforce the NMSL. That authority was removed when the NMSL was enacted.

Oops, I meant to write "repealed" instead of "enacted"; I've corrected it.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Idaho has gotten caught playing with the speeding ticket numbers to give a false impression of how drivers are reacting to the new higher limit.....
I am starting to see claims of increased ticketing in the new 80 mph posted zones across Idaho, with the IDHP claiming more drivers are speeding. But the real actual average speed data from the road embedded data points across the state does not show this! What the real speed data from around the state is showing is that the average speed in these areas has actually dropped slightly.
But what has changed to lead to this surge in ticket numbers is the allowed above posted tolerance which was ~85 mph under the posted 75 limit only a few weeks ago has now dropped to 81-83 mph. This lowering of the tolerance for no apparent safety related reason has lead to a spike in the number of tickets written....
So what we have here is the Idaho State Troopers using the raising of the posted limit as an excuse to pad the bottom line dollar wise.....
If they had followed the example set by Utah, of observing how drivers reacted to the limit increase without this revenue based arbitrary enforcement effort they would have observed the same no change in speed or safety. But with this revenue based extra enforcement effort they have been carrying out since the increase they have skewed the numbers to give a cloudy picture of what is actually taking place today since the rise in the posted maximum......
The same thing is happening in Wyoming today also.........

Wait I thought that people wouldn't speed if the speed limit was raised. That drivers only drove at the speeds they felt comfortable and that the roads flowed better because everybody drove at the speed they were court able with. This would decrease speed variations.

:rolleyes:

You can't expect the speed limits to be raised to a very high rate and then expect the law to allow for people to abuse the new freedoms and drive even faster. It's just a 90$ fine. That's probably why so many people are speeding. With such low fine amounts most people would take the risk and speed.

83mph 121 feet per seconds.

83mph stopping distance on a dry road would be above 375'.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wait I thought that people wouldn't speed if the speed limit was raised. That drivers only drove at the speeds they felt comfortable and that the roads flowed better because everybody drove at the speed they were court able with. This would decrease speed variations.

You can't expect the speed limits to be raised to a very high rate and then expect the law to allow for people to abuse the new freedoms and drive even faster.
I think you misunderstood the post. Under the old de jure speed limit there was a de facto limit of 85 because speeds up to there were ignored by the revenue collection agents (a.k.a. police). However, what has apparently happened with the new de jure 80 mph limit, the revenuers are no longer ignoring the long de facto speeds of up to 85. So the actual over-limit speeds have not increased; just the revenue enhancement machine has kicked in.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, here in the CPR, there are extra surcharges and fees added to the base fine by the state, which result in the doubling or even tripling of the base fine.

I don't know about my VW Jetta, but my Miata's speedometer was designed to read approx. 5mph high in 5th gear. So in Idaho, I'd have to drive at 85 indicated to get close to 80 actual.

Last edited: