What Should My Peak Torque and HP RPM Be?

alienbogey

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
(Flame deflector: I've searched, and emailed Jeff at RC, but haven't yet gotten an answer and my track day is tomorrow.)
I have a 2002 New Beetle with Sprint 520's and RC3 from Rocketchip. I haven't dyno'd it (or I wouldn't be asking this question).
Can someone (hopefully with direct experience) tell me what my peak torque and peak horsepower rpm should be?
Thanks.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
They are not usually in the same place. Your torque will peak before your HP, also it will have a large peak and then drop back off. Typically the peak tq arrives below 3k or so. Usually no use in twisting past 4500 without lots of mods. In your case you may want to concentrate on the first 60ft. Hope this helps.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
They are never in the same place. Your torque will peak before your HP, also it will have a large peak and then drop back off. Typically the peak tq arrives below 3k or so. Usually no use in twisting past 4500 without lots of mods. In your case you may want to concentrate on the first 60ft. Hope this helps.
There fixed it for you.

With your set-up I would expect your torque peak in the 2000 RPM range and HP to peak between 3500 and 4000.

alienbogey

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
Ah, thanks for the replies.
Yes, I know they're not in the same place, and should have phrased my question to make it was clear that I was asking for the peak torque rpm, and the peak hp rpm.
It's not a drag race but a road race track day, another thing I should have made clear, and my how-to-drive-fast book says that I should strive to keep the engine between the torque and rpm peaks, (unless going for top speed in top gear).
On my first track day I believe I was consistently over 4000 rpm, sometimes to redline, and had a seat of the pants feel that I was not doing things right — which is one reason (of many) that I bought the book.
Okay, 2000 to 4000 are some nice round numbers to work with, thanks again.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Hp on the rc3 dynos I saw was flat from 3k to 4500. Hp moves the car.... gears just translate torque but the hp at the wheels is the same at 3k or 4k. Hp=tq x (rpm/5252)

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
With your setup, I'd shift right about 4000rpm.. I ran PP520's/RC3 for a while in my 03 and 4000 was about the sweet spot since it's right before power starts falling off, and when you shift, you'll still be right in the meaty part of the powerband..

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
(Flame deflector: I've searched, and emailed Jeff at RC, but haven't yet gotten an answer and my track day is tomorrow.)
I have a 2002 New Beetle with Sprint 520's and RC3 from Rocketchip. I haven't dyno'd it (or I wouldn't be asking this question).
Can someone (hopefully with direct experience) tell me what my peak torque and peak horsepower rpm should be?
Thanks.
Should be 135hp/235ftlbs sprints and 10mm vnt15 at sea level.

Jeff
(call me, I was on the road all last week)

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
Alien, I dynoed 127whp / 234ft. lbs with Sprint 520's, RC3, open 2.5" exhaust.