Is it possible to get a couple of hundred thousand miles out of a MK6 Golf TDI?

Mike_in_NEPA

TDI
None yet
I seen a post by K5ING, and saw he has over 422,000 miles on his MK4 Golf TDI. I was then wondering, would the MK6 be able to run that long, or would the HPFP ensure that it will be sitting in a car graveyard long before the 200K mark.

Thoughts? I am toying between purchasing a TDI or leasing one. I know the whole "oh the gasser is so much cheaper, save money, blah blah blah..," but I would love to try a diesel (fully optioned) for at least a few years. It's a combo of the torque and the fuel economy that I find attractive.

AsgorTDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 sp. manual
The HPFP "issue" (if one indeed exists) doesn't mean that the car will implode and vanish into a fourth dimension. The HPFP (and related parts) can be replaced like any other parts - if and when needed.

Mike_in_NEPA

TDI
None yet
The HPFP "issue" (if one indeed exists) doesn't mean that the car will implode and vanish into a fourth dimension. The HPFP (and related parts) can be replaced like any other parts - if and when needed.
But unlike parts on a regular vehicle, which costs from say $80 (car battery) to maybe $3000 for a transmission... a HPFP repair would run you about $9000 in repair costs, no?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There are already a few with over 100k miles. How long they will last is still an open question. Somewhere between 100k and 200k the DPF will have to be either cleaned out or replaced. There are already places in Europe who are cleaning out DPFs successfully. I do not yet know of any shops doing this yet in the US, but I'm sure they will (they have had DPFs longer in Europe than here in NA). This will probably be the most expensive regular maintenance required (assuming no HPFP failure). Only time will tell how many miles we will get out of these engines and what it will cost to make it that far. I've got my fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
HPFP failure that costs more than your car is worth, to repair. Yeahhhhhh. Sounds like a sound investment.

Naturally you can get it done cheaper by avoiding the dealership, but it's still going to cost you close to what the car is worth by that point. These may end up being a one-time-use-only vehicle, if the HPFP failure reputation spreads beyond just VW-aware customers.

My dealership no longer claims "No HPFP failures", now they just claim improper fueling cause of all the failures they're going through.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
If the HPFP becomes a common problem I would have to guess that the price of the parts will come way down in time.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
Why would it come down? You think there's going to be 3rd party non OEM pumps available? The OEMs can't even get the part done properly.

lotsofmiles

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I sure hope they'll go 200+

What kind of pressure is the pump running?

Give the aftermarket a while, they'll come up with something

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
I sure hope they'll go 200+

Give the aftermarket a while, they'll come up with something
I'm not, and its all one opinion vs. Another until some more time elapses. So far? Not so good.

Madorski

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 GSW 6MT
Why would it come down? You think there's going to be 3rd party non OEM pumps available? The OEMs can't even get the part done properly.

...There's this little thing called "Economy of Scale".

Also, you have to remember that OTR's have had DPF's since 2007, and vendors such as Cummins Midwest actually do have factory recon programs... it's a matter of time.

I'll drive mine for at least the next 5 years. When that time goes on, I will re-evaluate.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Up to 1800 bar (26,107 psi) - which is a lot of pressure. They don't call it the High Pressure Fuel pump for nothing. I'm not counting on a better aftermarket unit.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 "Facelifted" JSW 6MT | 04/2010 Build Date
There are already a few with over 100k miles. How long they will last is still an open question. Somewhere between 100k and 200k the DPF will have to be either cleaned out or replaced. There are already places in Europe who are cleaning out DPFs successfully. I do not yet know of any shops doing this yet in the US, but I'm sure they will (they have had DPFs longer in Europe than here in NA). This will probably be the most expensive regular maintenance required (assuming no HPFP failure). Only time will tell how many miles we will get out of these engines and what it will cost to make it that far. I've got my fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don
I'm rooting for successful DPF cleanings here in the US, as I might be one of the ones to get to the 100K point quicker than "estimated", since I already have over 30K in 11 months...