low power but hear turbo at low rpm

ken.fresno-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
95 Eurovan EVC camper with 98 AHU engine (VeganVan02); 01 Jetta ALH engine and parts - waiting for transplant into 97 Eurovan (VeganVan03);05 BEW Beetle
Hi all, I just bought a 99.5 with 120,000 miles from an auto auction. It had a bad turbo, so I just replaced it with a new one thanks to Charlie at Kermatdi (great price and quick delivery). Now the car runs fine, no white smoke, and I hear the turbo sing at low rpms. But the car is definitely does not have the power of the turbo (I have a 98 tdi too, so I know what it should feel like). The only engine code is for the dreaded glow plug. I replaced the N75 valve - no difference. I've looked at the vacuum lines - nothing obvious. What to check next? VNT actuator? any electric lines? Would the MAF sensor have anything to do with this? The car is just *slow*, with the definite feel that the turbo is not engaging.
Thanks for the help!
Ken

medrvmx5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Reflex Silver Jetta GL Wagon
Intake manifold cleaning time? After 120K miles, I wonder what it must look like in there.

Tony

ken.fresno-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
95 Eurovan EVC camper with 98 AHU engine (VeganVan02); 01 Jetta ALH engine and parts - waiting for transplant into 97 Eurovan (VeganVan03);05 BEW Beetle
low power - manifold?

medrvmx5 said:
Intake manifold cleaning time? After 120K miles, I wonder what it must look like in there.

Tony
perhaps - I'll take a look. But it seems to me the turbo is cutting out at low rpm, or is turning but not engaging, if that makes sense - I can hear the whine at low rpm, but never feel the 'boost' that it should give around 1800.
Ken

dieselsRus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5-Spd
did you fix this problem on your tdi, I have a car with that similar problem and I replaced the MAS and didn't change anything. I would like to know what fixed your car?

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
cage said:
I would guess MAF for sure. Try unplugging it and see if power is better.
  • Clogged aged fuel filtre
  • M.A.F. Sensor
  • Intake
  • EGR VALVE!!!!! suck on end of the hose to see if it opens and closes...
  • Clogged rear fuel tank sender
  • Bad fuel
  • Vacuum line cracked